Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#42505 - 10/17/02 02:49 AM I'm hissing
bbpj Offline
Gunslinger

Got my 950 a few days ago. Didn't know about the hiss problem. Was studying and listening to a CD, when it ended I heard hiss from my speaker about 5 feet away. So, I just searched the forum and read all about it. I wasn't even on a "hiss hunt". With my old setup (NAD gear) I never heard a hiss from a seated position away from a speaker.

According to the posts this problem was improved. Yikes...

Anything new on this issue???
Are there actually different versions of this amplifier and how does one tell???

Any help is appreciated.
later, bp

#42506 - 10/17/02 06:57 PM Re: I'm hissing
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Yes, there are a number of people who have an elevated level of hiss compared to previous gear, or in some cases, at the listening position. As far as I know, there is no update or cure. I have read on another forum that they are still working on it, but I've not heard anything else.

I'm afraid that the only possible cure for the hiss would be to wait for a comparable pre/pro to come out from Sherwood Newcastle and possibly others, try one of these out, and see if it cures your hiss problem. There _should_ be more of these competetively priced units to come on the market in the near future.

I have audible hiss from about 5 feet from my speakers in the 'analog DSP' mode, but it gets significantly quieter in all other modes such as optical or coax digital input. I have very efficient speakers (106db / 1 watt) so I actually consider myself pretty lucky that the hiss is not significantly louder. My 950 is however hissier than the Sony EP9ES it replaces, and hissier than my stereo vacuum tube preamp that is in-line with my front left and right speakers.

#42507 - 10/17/02 07:36 PM Re: I'm hissing
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
I talked to Scott today. He said they are still working on the hiss issue. Nothing specific and no dates. I have hiss from 10'-12' feet away. He assured me that Outlaw would take care of me once they have a solution. If not I will be able to return my unit if I so desire.

#42508 - 10/17/02 07:51 PM Re: I'm hissing
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
You can ask the Outlaws for a replacement 950. There are some subtle differences between different red dot 950's, as measured by Soundhound.

The Outlaws say hiss isn't a problem in 98% to 99% of the red dot 950's. (Believe it or not.)

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 17, 2002).]

#42509 - 10/17/02 09:18 PM Re: I'm hissing
bbpj Offline
Gunslinger

What exactly is a red dot unit???

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
You can ask the Outlaws for a replacement 950. There are some subtle differences between different red dot 950's, as measured by Soundhound.

The Outlaws say hiss isn't a problem in 98% to 99% of the red dot 950's. (Believe it or not.)

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 17, 2002).]

#42510 - 10/17/02 10:07 PM Re: I'm hissing
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I have hiss too. Scott and the boys have also told me they are continuing to work on the problem. I can wait.

In the meantime, I am still enjoying everything else the 950 has to offer that my last pre/pro didn't...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42511 - 10/18/02 01:22 AM Re: I'm hissing
charlie Offline
Desperado

If a person jumps in and finds the unit 'hissy', then decides to wait for a hiss-fix, would the 30 day limit for a refund apply? I suspect the answer is yes, that one would be stuck with whatever is offered as a final solution without option of refund after 30 days, but you never know.

Has this been asked of the Outlaws already?

#42512 - 10/18/02 07:46 AM Re: I'm hissing
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
From what applejelly said, it sounded to me like you would be able to return it after the 30-day period if you spoke with them during that month with a hiss problem. I could be wrong, though, and I haven't heard anything making a policy like that official.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#42513 - 10/18/02 08:23 AM Re: I'm hissing
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
I don't think there is an official policy, but since I contacted Scott before my 30 days was up, I can still return my unit after that 30 day window.

Prior to calling, I too was unaware of any such arrangement. I was actually calling to get my return authorization since I am unhappy with the hiss. I figured if they fixed it for good in a few months, I could always rebuy. Now I get to keep my 950 to enjoy and still have return privileges if an acceptable solution does not come to fruition.

#42514 - 10/18/02 09:34 AM Re: I'm hissing
Dawg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas
I have one of the new units that has the hiss problem. Scott would only extend the 30 day trial period for two weeks. Appears that Outlaw giving some people more time than others.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users