Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#42470 - 10/31/02 02:12 PM Re: 7 vs. 5 Channel?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Funny thought: with 7.1, we effectively have 4 speakers behind us, but only 3 in front. Almost seems backwards to me, because we have less acuity for sound behind us than in front. See what I mean? Sort of like we'd get more benefit by putting more speakers where we hear better...

(But I know, in an ideal 7.1 setup, surrounds are to the sides, and rears are to the rear, but I always thought about that seeming contradiction anyway betwen "front" and "back"... )
Hmmm, I guess we have different ways of thinking of things. I always figured that where you have less acuity is where you need more "hard" sound sources (actual transducers). For example: using only two speakers, you can get a fairly precise soundstage if those speakers are in front of you; I doubt if you could get that kind of result with two speakers behind you. Where ever our ability to phantom image is weaker, is where we need more speakers. Make sense?

Best,
Sanjay

#42471 - 10/31/02 02:24 PM Re: 7 vs. 5 Channel?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Lena,
Quote:
I experienced back to front reversal out in the real world 2 weekends ago, (not through a sound system).

Very interesting to hear this location jump when you know where the sound originates but your ears are placing the source in a different location.
It is very interesting to hear stuff like that; especially for sustained periods rather than confused momentary bursts, and outdoors no less! I guess with the right conditions it can happen even when you "know" where the source of the sound is. Heck, you could actually see where the cars were (visual cues) in relation to where you & others were hearing the sound.

Best,
Sanjay

#42472 - 10/31/02 05:22 PM Re: 7 vs. 5 Channel?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
It truly was bizarre, if a Police Officer had asked spectators ‘Which way did the car go!’ All would have said 'over there' it was that distinct and maintained. Because 'acoustics' is something I think about these days. I tried to figure out how the sound could emanate from a completely different location that way. If you were in the warehouse with the car, you heard the sound at the car. If you stepped just outside the warehouse the sound moved to a block over. The only reason for the 'bounce' I could come up with was the concrete building directly opposite the large door across the parking lot, was a one story. The building the Dyno was occurring in was concrete 2-story. I guess the sound beamed straight out the freight door hitting up against the one-story wall. Then the one-story bounced it back to the taller building the cars were in which sent the sound back the opposite direction straight over the top of the one story. Producing the effect that the car was traveling on that street one block over, where you could not see it…but heard it ‘over there’. There were no ‘echoes in a canyon’ thing going on that you might expect with this particular building setup, the sound was just ……. completely moved. Maybe a textbook case for reflective surfaces?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts