Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#42446 - 10/29/02 10:18 PM Re: Surround back speaker preferences
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
If it is in fact only mono, I wonder why they bothered to have the test tone come out of the left and right back seperately on the 950.
Because there are instances where those two speakers do produce different sounds. For example: when listening to stereo material in the 7-Channel Stereo mode, all the left speakers reproduce the left channel and all the right speakers reproduce the right channel. Also, when listening to a 5.1 source over 7 speakers and not using any of the back channel extraction decoders (EX, ES, CES), the side and rear speakers are run in parallel. The right surround channel is sent to the right side & right rear speakers; ditto the left side.

There are also situations where the two rears are not in similar acoustic environments; one may be in a corner that boosts its output, while the other is not. This imbalance can be evened out by the 950's ability to adjust volume on a per speaker basis.

Best,
Sanjay

#42447 - 10/29/02 10:42 PM Re: Surround back speaker preferences
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Check out:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000181.html

Quote:
I think one of the common misconceptions about the 950 is that it will produce a 7.1 channel signal. This is both false and misleading.

The 950 may have 7.1 outputs, but it only has 6.1 channels. Those two back surround speakers get IDENTICAL signals.

Except as Sanjay pointed out, for 7 channel stereo.

Quote:
when listening to a 5.1 source over 7 speakers and not using any of the back channel extraction decoders (EX, ES, CES), the side and rear speakers are run in parallel. The right surround channel is sent to the right side & right rear speakers; ditto the left side.

Denon receivers do this (among others), but the according to the above, the 950 does not.

Maybe if Scott is out there, he can confirm all this...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42448 - 10/29/02 11:00 PM Re: Surround back speaker preferences
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Kevin,

Re the rears & sides being run in parallel:
Quote:
Denon receivers do this (among others), but the according to the above, the 950 does not.
I remember during the beta tests that fellow MC-12 owner Gene Lockaby found out that, when using the 5.1-channel analog bypass, two of the 950's outputs were silent (the rear outs, I think). But it would surprise me if this applied to a 5.1 signal that was input digitally. Likewise if you are using PL II without CES; all 7 speakers should be operating. Scott?

Meanwhile, is there anyone running the 950 in a 7.1 speaker set-up that can try this out?

Thanx,
Sanjay

#42449 - 10/31/02 02:31 AM Re: Surround back speaker preferences
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
If I was more motivated , you can actually try this on a 6.1 system too. Just configure for 7.1, and see if you can tell the difference between surround left and rear left.

But I know for a fact, that in "std" DD/DTS 5.1 modes, the rears are silent. You have to engage a CES mode before you get anything out of the rear(s).

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts