Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 12 13 14
Topic Options
#42394 - 10/26/02 10:35 AM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
charlie, I really like the Ultracurve. I had bought the BFD for my sub, and it worked well enough that I decided to try the Ultracurve. It is very easy to use and understand, and worked wonders for flattening out my system. It added no noise, and did not make the music "grainy" or "fuzzy" as others have said.

#42395 - 10/26/02 06:02 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
DavidG,

Quote:

I bought (used, separately) a Rotel 985 amp and Rotel 976 pre/pro. I am now nearing the end of my 30 day trial for the 950. You did not state what Rotel pre/pro you were replacing, but I think my listening experience differs from yours.

Your 976 is an older model pre/pro. The current Rotel pre/pro is the 1066. An apples to apples comparison would be between the current model Outlaw and the current model Rotel pre/pro, although it is interesting how the new Outlaw compares to the older Rotel.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 26, 2002).]

#42396 - 10/28/02 03:15 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
davidG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Will

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Your 976 is an older model pre/pro. The current Rotel pre/pro is the 1066. An apples to apples comparison would be between the current model Outlaw and the current model Rotel pre/pro, although it is interesting how the new Outlaw compares to the older Rotel.

True enough, but after I buy a separate digital tuner, the 976 will be roughly at the same price point as the 950. In addition to adding in my own two cents for the Outlaw community to consider, the post was an attempt to see if others (particularly (former) Rotel owners) have found a similar relative +s and -s. Also, if anyone wants to suggest how I might improve the performance so that there is no trade off in going with the Outlaw, I will be a much happier consumer.
(It has already be suggested that the addition of a sub would improve the relative ability of the Outlaw to produce detail. The suggestion was that the greater warmth of the Rotel allows for greater detail. The more neutral Outlaw would derive greater benefit from a sub. On the other hand, my speakers are rated down to 30Hz +/- 2db and greatest distinction is apparent on acoustic instruments, so I am not sure how important the sub is.)

#42397 - 10/28/02 03:43 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

my speakers are rated down to 30Hz +/- 2db and greatest distinction is apparent on acoustic instruments, so I am not sure how important the sub is

Mine are rated to 20 Hz +/- 3dB and in my case, a sub made a significant improvement. Although my mains play low frequencies, they cannot play them as low or (and this is critical) as loud as my sub can. This is more important in sources with a lot of low frequency content, and less important when there's little low frequency content. Most action movies have a lot of it!

Good luck!

Will

#42398 - 10/28/02 04:18 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Plus, even though mains may go down to 30 or even 20 Hz, I guarentee it won't be without prodigious amounts of distortion. Remember the old D.B. Keele 3D graphs in either Stereo Review or Audio? Routine for mains, and even poorly designed subs to hit 15% distortion at those low frequencies.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 12 13 14

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM