Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#42221 - 10/12/02 02:10 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
Ok.. It's on Kazaa now. File names are shound-challenge.wav (97MB) and shound-challenge.zip (67MB). My username is vic_badger@kazaa.

I'll get it on a web site before the night is over, and I'm headed in to listen to it now.

brianca.

#42222 - 10/12/02 02:19 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
But it is the [b]official web site for KaZaA Lite and it has so much adverts coming out of it, esp. pop-ups... I'm curious. It seems heavily advertized funded. Would we see massive advertisements and perhaps even popups (if you did NOT have a PopUp Stopper) after downloading the latest version of the KaZaA PROGRAM onto your computer?[/B]

Quote:

What is the advertisement problem with the non-lite version of KaZaA, and might those problems eventually be sent to the Lite version, as well???

Again, I apologize if these are naive questions.[/B]

KaZaA is a p2p program that does have alot of advertisements in the program itself. KaZaALite is a hacked version of KaZaA where the program has been modified to remove the ad stuff, except for the first welcome screen that asks for donations. The unmodified version has ads running all the time in the application, poping up in your face and using your bandwidth.

If KaZaALite starts working like the KaZaA version I will uninstall it and start looking for something else. You have to remember that this is unaccetable by some of the people that create music. Your getting Music for free. I contend that the Music that your getting is not the same quality and there for is a kind of demo of the Music. I listen to it and if I like it I will go out and buy the CD. Most of the Music is in 128 bit/sec mp3's with CD audio quality being 320 bit/sec quality. KaZaA has generated many sales, like the Blue Man group audio DVDA that I recently ordered.

I hope that answers your questions.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#42223 - 10/12/02 03:14 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Also posted at website:

http://65.112.245.88

brianca

#42224 - 10/12/02 03:50 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
jlib Offline
Gunslinger

So, is that article that brianca posted correct? That the upper range of the LFE is limited by the lowest common denominator crossover of the other speakers that are set to small? How would I test that?

#42225 - 10/12/02 04:13 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by jlib:
So, is that article that brianca posted correct? That the upper range of the LFE is limited by the lowest common denominator crossover of the other speakers that are set to small?

Hell, who knows!?!?!?

This is _exactly_ why I hate the "bass mis-management" scheme that's in all HT gear. Nobody _including ME_ can really wrap their minds around what the manufacturers are exactly doing - and they're no help in clearing it up. I would take the article at face value, as he at least is making sense, and sounds like he's 'sessed it out.

The whole problem in my twisted view, and coming from the industry where this whole LFE mess started (the movie industry) is that they tried to force the actual dubbing stage and movie theatre model on a home envoronment. But _they_ don't use bass management anyway! It's all straight full range speakers, except for the sub. The LFE channel is a decendent of the 'baby booms' from the days when there was a transistion from 6 track magnetic soundtracks in common use and five channels behind the screen. They started using the half-left and halr-right speakers as 'boom channel' (circa 1977 'Star Wars"). This led to the LFE we have today, and only three speakers behind the screen. The problem arises on how do you integrate a LFE channel into a system in a home environment. The big mistake I beleve they made was not mandating that _all_ speakers be full range in the first place. Then no bass management, and no problems. Simple. Then they got the idea that most people wanted smaller speakers. Personally, I think they just thought that the costs of speakers would be too prohibitive if they were all capable of real bass. I disagree, but anyway, thus was born bass-management. Now, I have articles from "High Fidelity" magazine from the 1950s (I'm not _that_ old, however!) that detail a sub/sat speaker system in mono, then later when stereo started, in stereo. The idea is not new. But they didn't use any form of bass management other than a plain 'ol analog high and low pass crossover to devide to the sub.

I think you might get the impression that I hate bass management

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 12, 2002).]

#42226 - 10/12/02 04:47 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
There's something missing from this thread. I know there were a few other posts that were here last night, and I asked a question too, that aren't here now... About bass management. Strange.

Yeah, pg 2 and pg 3, duh!

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited October 13, 2002).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42227 - 10/12/02 05:32 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

You mean aside from the crossover question that you asked about halfway down page two?

brianca.

#42228 - 10/12/02 06:36 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa

#42229 - 10/12/02 07:41 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bstan:
[B]bosso...

Remember, there is an active xover splitting all the bass going to the main channels between the mains and the sub(s). So your point (a) is false

bstan: you are correct, sir. there is no double bass in this setup, the bass is redirected. i momentarily confused this setup with the thx setup when any of the 5 speakers is set to small and low pass is set above the selected high pass for the small set speaker(s).

my humble apologies and thanx for catching my mistake.

#42230 - 10/12/02 08:27 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
bosso,

No problem. As I said and generally agree, bass management in the processor has been questionable from the beginning, which is why I did most of my bass management between the L&R mains and sub(s) over 4 years ago and I'm still doing it that way today.

Simply sounds and measures better for me, with the benefit of working in both 2-channel and HT. I have a stereo preamp as my control center and route the processor's L&R outputs to it.

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited October 12, 2002).]

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 87 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM