Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
#42211 - 10/12/02 11:55 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
KCB,

High Pass crossovers and Low Pass crossover are completely seperate. To say crossover does not mean both. The sub is a good example where most setups have a low pass for the sub and few have high pass filters on that signal. The 5.1 analog crossover on the 950 is another example where the switch only activates a high pass to the mains but does not enable a low pass for the sub ( at least I think that's right).

You can't assume that when you say crossover you mean both.

brianca..

#42212 - 10/12/02 11:58 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I suppose this bass management and redirection is only an acedemic debate. If not, your vexations over technical aspects must surely impede the enjoyment of listening.
For what it is worth. I feel almost any speaker out there (that is affordable by most and some) will be greatly enhanced by a seperate subwoofer/woofers. Plus most systems will function better when the massive power requirements of the sub are self dedicated. I recently added a 15" Tempest to my system with the 1050. My speakers when measured by a SPL meter rolled off at about 40Hz. After many measurements I found the flattest response (down to 20Hz) I got with intergrating the sub with my speakers was setting the crossover to 100Hz. Technically I should have been able to crossover lower; probably at 60Hz but the 100Hz gave me the flattest response (used the SPL meter correction charts also). Why at 100Hz I don't know. Room acoustics, accuracy or the functioning of the crossover in the 1050? Beats me. The sub is driven by a regular amp (no crossover).
Now that it is set I sit back and enjoy my music. But then every now and then a dark cloud crosses my mind; would some Burr/Brown DACs sound better than the AKM DACs of the 1050? Hmmmmm.

#42213 - 10/12/02 12:25 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
The key is to experiment with the crossovers and see what works best.

In my experimention, I had the exact opposite experience as you. Initially I crossed my main speakers at 80 Hz thinking, when in doubt, use a slightly higher crossover than necessary. But I subsequently experiemented with 60 Hz and found the sound integrated better, so kept it at 60 Hz. Later still, I experimented with 40 Hz and found the sound to be even better. So now my mains are crossed at 40, and my rears and center are crossed at higher frequencies.

Actually, I find I like my sub/sat setup more and more in stereo + sub mode, without the center and without the rears. For imaging, the 40 Hz is the way to go, with my stereo + sub setup, on the 950. My mains are Von Schweikert VR 4 Gen II's. It's specs say its -3dB point is 20 Hz, fwiw. BTW, I had to fiddle with phase of subwoofer when changing between 2 channel + sub, to 5 channel + sub.

#42214 - 10/12/02 12:28 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Originally posted by MeanGene:
Quote:

Make sure to get KaZaA Lite, so you don't have to deal with the Advertisements. You can get the KaZaA program at: KaZaALite

Originally posted by Will:
Are you sure about that?? I think I got about five pop-up advertisements as soon as I went to their website.

I meant from the KaZaA program not the web site. I am going to host the file on my computer if ya want it. You should be able to find the file by searching for "soundhound".

By the way SoundHound, What is the best frequency to shake the margarita mix with? 20Hz? I have a pitcher sitting on the sub now.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited October 12, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#42215 - 10/12/02 12:56 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
Will Offline
Desperado

I am naive about p2p programs but I'm worried about what it does when it's executing on our computer. And are you sure it doesn't cause spam and that it doesn't do a trojan horse virusy number when it's on our computer? Again, sorry to ask what may be a real naive question, but I really really want to be sure, before downloading it...

#42216 - 10/12/02 01:16 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:

(though i can't imagine what 2 18's driven by 1,000 watts sounds like either way...and, by the way, on that subject...too cool)

Bosso:

Thanks for the 'splaination. Yeah, I am going to resotre tha 950's to all large. Easy to do, and the speakers can take it - I'll just have to moderate my demos of "Twister"! I was playing it _way_ louder than reference level at the time, _Waaaaay_ louder.

Acutally, it's two 18" subs _per side_, four total.

#42217 - 10/12/02 01:30 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I am naive about p2p programs but I'm worried about what it does when it's executing on our computer. And are you sure it doesn't cause spam and that it doesn't do a trojan horse virusy number when it's on our computer? Again, sorry to ask what may be a real naive question, but I really really want to be sure, before downloading it...

The lite version has most of the spam and spyware removed. I also use anti-virus software, a software firewall, a hardware firewall (router), and use the Adaware software to remove or opt-out of things that are using my computer without my permission. You don't need these tools, but I wanted you to know that I have used them to check on software like KaZaA and found the lite version to be accetable as far as P2P is concerned. Never the less, if your on the internet you should have virus protection at all times, even if your just surfing. I also have a PopUp Stopper which is why I didn't notice the problem with the KaZaA Lite web site.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#42218 - 10/12/02 01:36 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
soundhound Offline
Desperado

MeanGene:

Well, I've found that 27hZ is the ideal frequency to get a good, frothy Margarita. Of course that depends on getting _exactly_ the right amount of ice and Triple Sec. But after a pitcher, hell...I don't think it matters much------_Nothing_ matters much

BTW: stay off that 'sycle after the above...

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 12, 2002).]

#42219 - 10/12/02 01:42 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
Will Offline
Desperado

What is the advertisement problem with the non-lite version of KaZaA, and might those problems easily appear on the Lite version, as well?

The adverts are on the official web site for KaZaA Lite. It appears heavily advertized funded. Would we see advertisements and perhaps even popups (if you did NOT have a PopUp Stopper) after downloading the latest version of the KaZaA Lite to your computer?

Again, I apologize if these are naive questions....

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 12, 2002).]

#42220 - 10/12/02 01:42 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Onto the original topic - Has anybody had a chance to listen to the "listening challenge" CD yet???

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts