Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 >
Topic Options
#42181 - 10/10/02 11:08 PM Re: A Listening Challenge
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
soundhound: i am confused. first, you say that you do not make use of the lfe. then you say you re-direct the lfe through your mains and low pass it to stereo subs.

if that is correct, you DO make use of the lfe, and your setup would be one that is preferred by some. i personally see no difference in this setup vs. the standard setup of lfe plus under 80hz summed and sent to the sub other than your belief that sub 60hz has ambiance in stereo vs. a good mono sub.

the question i have is simple. exactly how do you "re-direct the lfe to the mains"?

#42182 - 10/11/02 12:17 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I seem to be taken to task for just about anything I say lately! Let's see if I can make sense after ingesting a pitcher of Margaritas..... (-:

I do not use the LFE output of my processor. Instead, I direct all bass, including the LFE to my main left and right front speakers. In line with them I have an analog 60 Hz crossover that feeds that bass to a 1000 watt stereo amplifier, then to two 18" sub woofers per side, in stereo. I mainly have it this way because I have three possible signal paths that must work togeather seamlessly. 1) a home theatre path from the 950 and my Sony EP9ES DD pre/pro. 2) a direct path injected at my tube preamp for 'purist' listening in stereo, that goes to the main left and right speakers alone, but where I still want to use the subwoofers, and 3) a path I use when I work, directly from my mixing console where I usually monitor in 6.0 (less LFE) so that I can hear how things will sound when finally mixed on the dubbing stage.

If I am still not making sense, maybe we can both go out to this great Mexican restaurant I know, and have another pitcher of Margaritas (or your favorite beverage) and try again; sometimes it helps.....Well, yes, it _always_ helps (-:

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 11, 2002).]

#42183 - 10/11/02 12:24 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
SH: i appreciate the reply. i am certainly not taking you to task. i understand your setup from earlier posts. i only do not understand how you redirect the lfe output of the 950 into your mains.

i find nothing on that in the manual, and would like to try it in my own system.

#42184 - 10/11/02 12:32 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:

i only do not understand how you redirect the lfe output of the 950 into your mains.

i find nothing on that in the manual, and would like to try it in my own system.

My setup in the 950 is: Front main left and right are set to "large". Surrounds (side and back) set to "small", with a crossover set to 60hz. Center set to"small", crossover set to 150hZ. Subwoofer: set to "none". The 950 then directs _all_ the bass, including the LFE to the front left and right mains, where it can be crossed over by analog to your subs. BTW, I set the center crossover so high because I like a bit of 'leakage' from the center to the left and right at low frequencies: it kind of 'spreads out' the dialogue across the soundstage, and helps, at least in my setup, to take the edge off the 'mono-ness' of the center speaker.

#42185 - 10/11/02 01:39 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
How about using KaZaA as the transport medium, then we could download the file from multiple sources? I would be willing to start the process. My KaZaA ID is DSLine@KaZaA

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited October 11, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#42186 - 10/11/02 01:42 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
shound,

From reading some of the threads on other forums about the variable crossover settings I'm confused a little about the bass management on the 950 in a setup like yours. The crossover settings obviously set a high-pass filter for the speakers, but does each individually also create a low-pass for the summed signal to the sub, or is a full range summed signal from each small speaker sent to the sub with a single low pass point?

brianca

#42187 - 10/11/02 03:48 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Since my surrounds have a crossover point of 60hZ, and my center has one at 150hZ, there would have to be a seperate low pass generated for each, which is then sent to it's respective channel. i.e. left surround bass below 60 hZ is sent to the left front, right surround sent to the right front, and the center bass below 150hZ is split, and sent both to the left and right fronts. At least that is _supposed_ to be the way it works! In my amp rack, the left and right channels have a stereo analog 60hz crossover network before the power amps that sends all the bass below 60hZ to the sub-woofer stereo amplifier, and a high pass that sends everything above 60hZ to the front mains.

In the 950, even if all the channels have the same crossover point, there is still a low pass generated at that frequency which is sent either to the speakers set to 'large' (always the front left and right, but I don't imagine this has to be) if no subwoofer is selected, or to the LFE output if there is a subwoofer present (as set in the speaker setup menu).

I'm just realizing that this is one of those things that is easier for me to visualize, than to try to explain in writing to someone else, so I hope I've answered your question.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 11, 2002).]

#42188 - 10/11/02 04:01 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by MeanGene:
How about using KaZaA as the transport medium, then we could download the file from multiple sources? I would be willing to start the process. My KaZaA ID is DSLine@KaZaA

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited October 11, 2002).]

Gene:
I've not heard of KaZaA. Can it handle a 95 Megabyte file? Let me know if it's something that I could simply upload to or how it would work.

The CDs should be getting to the people I sent them to maybe tomorrow (Friday), or at the latest on Monday. There are a couple who are going to host it on their servers, but another source would be great.

#42189 - 10/11/02 11:16 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

I'll drop it on kazaa as well when I get it.

brianca..

#42190 - 10/11/02 11:18 AM Re: A Listening Challenge
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

shound,

Here's one of the articles I was talking about.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_3/feature-article-multiple-crossovers-9-2002. html

What's your take on this?

brianca..

Page 5 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts