Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#42029 - 09/30/02 05:19 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
jetsetter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Long time lurker, first time poster

Just spent 5 hours doing extensive A/B testing between my 950 (received last week) and my friends Atlantic Technology P-2000.

First some background (yes, the Atlantic is prettier), we tested the two units on his system which consists of:

Pioneer Elite Pro700 HD
Vienna Acoustics Speakers
Rel Sub
Panasonic RP91
B&K amp (Forget the model number. He wants to get the new Atlantic Amp, but it’s not shipping yet.)
All Kimber cables

Since the Atlantic was already connected we started with his unit first and wrote down each and every setting. Then, using my trusty RatShack SPL meter we calibrated to 75 dB. We then connected the 950 up, copied all of the settings and re-checked the level calibrations. All settings were right on except for the center which was 2 dB hotter on the 950??

After a good four hours or so of testing we could not hear an audible difference between the two of us. So, we brought in "Golden Ears" (I don’t know, that’s what he calls the wife when it comes to HT.) So we ran the gamut… Diana Krall to the Beastie Boys, Moulin Rouge to the Lord of the Rings, and nothing. "Golden Ears" didn’t hear a difference either.

To answer a couple of issues that have been brought up here, the Atlantic handles bass management on the multi-channel inputs the same way as the Outlaw. Also, we ran the RP91 through the component switching on both pieces to his Elite set. In each case they picture was crisp and the colors were great. We saw no difference between going direct and using the switching capabilities of either unit.

So, I am quite pleased to say that I will not be purchasing the Atlantic, I’m keeping my 950! As for my buddy, he loves his Atlantic (can’t say I blame him, it sounds gooood ) but his wife was pretty upset when she found out mine was only $899.

"Yes, they're called doctors."

Tommy Boy

#42030 - 09/30/02 05:29 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Great first post. How long has your friend had the Atlantic?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#42031 - 09/30/02 05:39 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
jetsetter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello Gonk,

Thanks for the welcome and for all of your great posts. They've always been very helpful

He's had his unit for two days. Today was the earliest we could actually get together. Neither of us could wait any longer.

"Yes, they're called doctors."

Tommy Boy

#42032 - 09/30/02 05:50 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
I didn't realize the AT P-2000 clone was out already but it evidently is!

Any sightings of the Sherbourne PT7000 clone?

The Outlaws have gone through their reservation backlog on the 950 so: The clones are coming. The clones are coming...

#42033 - 09/30/02 05:53 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
The clones are coming. The clones are coming... [/B][/QUOTE]

Kinda like ATOC

#42034 - 10/01/02 01:59 AM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
HTLearner Offline
Gunslinger

Applejelly and others,

Well I set up the Panamax power filter/surge protector to see if that would make a difference in the hiss.....and no difference. The sound still is really excellent, except for the hiss audible from listening position-- 4 feet (rears). And about 7-10 feet (fronts).

I contacted Scott for help and I was disappointed in his reply. He said audible hiss from "four feet does not necessarily
constitute a loud hiss (especially with efficient speakers)". He offered no suggestions on how to reduce the hiss.

So I guess he is saying that is expected operation and I should either live with it or send it back. So I will keep it for the 30 days and decide...

In the mean time, I've contacted my local Rotel dealer who is a great guy, and I'll see if I can get a loaner 1066 from him. I wonder if the 1066 has a muting circuit?

One more interesting item-- the Panamax has indicator lights that show voltage level. The 120 volts light never goes on-- so that means the power feed is alwasy under voltage? When I turn everything on (TV too), the voltage drops even more so the 115 VAC light flickers. I guess that is normal?

#42035 - 10/01/02 02:37 AM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
bigmac Offline
Gunslinger

I certainly do NOT consider audible hiss from four feet acceptible -- regardless of speaker efficiency.

I used to have a $400 JVC receiver, circa 1993. Infinity speakers, with a 104 db/watt sensitivty -- very very sensitive. Could I hear hiss from the tweeters. Yeah -- at about 2-3 inches.

My Rotel 1066 at 10 dB ABOVE ref level just starts to have audible hiss -- at a couple of inches from the speaker. I am using speakers with much lower effeciency now -- but hiss at FOUR FEET -- come on, that can't be reasonable.

#42036 - 10/01/02 02:52 AM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
HTL- I didn't think a Panamax would work. Balanced power didn't do squat for me either.

The hiss in my rear speaker is also audible at about 4ft, ear turned towards the speaker.

I emailed Scott today to see if they'd continue to work on the problem.

I think Power and Will and now Bigmac have said, and I agree, that hiss at 4ft shouldn't be considered acceptable. And I respectfully put forth, that the 950 isn't meeting the published S/N specs in my system. So either the specs should be changed, or Outlaw should continue to work to try and lower the hiss level *for those who experience it.*

I'd sure be super curious if the Atlantic and Sherbourn uints are the same in this regard...

The relevants parts of my system: Vandersteen 2CE Signatures with a VCC Signature and a V2W sub up front;, Def Tech BP-30s with a CLR-1000B in back. 20A circuit, and a 20A Equi=Tech balanced power unit. The Def Techs are more sensitive than the Vandy's, and the hiss is worse for them. 90-92 dB or so.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42037 - 10/01/02 12:10 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by HTLearner:
the voltage drops even more so the 115 VAC light flickers. I guess that is normal?

115 VAC is OK. I would only start to worry if the line voltage starts dipping below 110 VAC for _extended_ periods of time. It is normal for the voltage to drop momentarily when something like an air conditioner comes on, but it should only last a second or so. My voltage goes all the way down to about 90 volts when my air conditioner kicks in. By the way, low power voltage will _not_ cause the hiss to be louder or softer.

It sounds like Scott and the Outlaws are sort of 'throwing in the towel' judging from his reply to you regarding the hiss. I remember that first they were saying 'ear to the tweeter' was unreasonable, now it's 4 feet. Maybe it'll get out to 10 feet..... Anyway, if the hiss bothers you THEN IT IS TOO LOUD!!

#42038 - 10/01/02 02:22 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Dawg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas
Just got my 950 yesterday. Turned it on and the first sound I heard was hissssssss! The hiss is not volume dependent and is audible to about 6 feet. Does it in all modes - analog/digital/bypass. I'm gonna experiment with different settings, interconnects, power conditioners tonight. I've used a 2 channel PS Audio preamp and preamp out from an old Kenwood receiver with my current system and did not have any problems with hiss.

My system consist of Paradigm Studio 80 speakers, Acurus A125 amp, Denon 370 CD, Sony 360 DVD.

If I can't make the hiss go away I will most likely return within the 30 day period.

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts