Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#41872 - 11/11/02 04:19 PM Clones Part 2
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Herndon, VA
Up to now we know that the Outlaw, Atlantic & Sherbourn are using the same platform for their pre/pro:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php

You can now add to the list:

Adcom:
GTP-860

Fosgate:
FAP T1

Just look at the picture of the adcom. Fosgate's 5" LCD screen is an interesting addition.

I think it's a great thing that they can leverage this platform to bring us very affordable components with such high performance.

I'm sorry, but I cannot reveal my resources..... ;-)

Sayer

[This message has been edited by SayersWeb (edited November 11, 2002).]

#41873 - 11/11/02 04:55 PM Re: Clones Part 2
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Adcom does not look to be a direct clone (different front layout, at the very least). I've seen pics of the Fosgate before, too, and it's definitely not a "clone" of the 950 (in the sense of being a re-branded direct copy). It is pretty cool looking, though. Is your resource hinting that some of the components developed for the 950 are being re-used in these two? That'd be quite interesting news.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#41874 - 11/11/02 05:07 PM Re: Clones Part 2
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The Adcom does not look to be a direct clone (different front layout, at the very least). I've seen pics of the Fosgate before, too, and it's definitely not a "clone" of the 950 (in the sense of being a re-branded direct copy). It is pretty cool looking, though. Is your resource hinting that some of the components developed for the 950 are being re-used in these two? That'd be quite interesting news.

They all use the same EastTech platform, which apparently allows some wiggle room for customization. This is the extent of my information.

I first saw the Adcom prior to learning that it is based on the same platform. Even then it looked very familiar.

Sayer

#41875 - 11/11/02 06:40 PM Re: Clones Part 2
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

gonk -

Will you be updating your comparison chart with the new models? It is a great tool and will continue to show the great value the 950 is compared to the competition....

One other thought. Knowing that all of these companies are putting their name on this platform gives me even more confidence that the 950 truly is an excellent product.

Sayer

#41876 - 11/11/02 06:49 PM Re: Clones Part 2
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Gonk,
Quote:
Is your resource hinting that some of the components developed for the 950 are being re-used in these two? That'd be quite interesting news.
When Fosgate (the company) announced that their new pre-pro would feature matrix decoding for 7-speaker layouts, I got all excited and thought that Fosgate (the man) had finally come up with a 7.1-channel version of PL II. Well, it turns out that their "7.1 Extended Surround" is the same as Rotel's XS (eXtended Surround) which is the same as Outlaw's CES processing. I wouldn't be surprised if Adcom has the same Crystal processor; it's a popular chip amongst manufacturers and a convenient way to add surround back decoding to the processor (already built into the chip, just has to be activited).

While those two processors don't look like 950-clones outwardly, I'd be curious to see if they have similar (or the same) Eastech innards.

Best,
Sanjay

[This message has been edited by sdurani (edited November 11, 2002).]

#41877 - 11/11/02 07:01 PM Re: Clones Part 2
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sanjay -- It really is pretty curious. I'm not surprised that the Cirrus surround processing in the 950 and 1066 is becoming so common. It's apparently fairly inexpensive to integrate, and I've been pleased with its performance in the 950. Both the Adcom and Fosgate certainly appear to be at least somewhat removed from the true clones (different numbers of I/O from the "950" configuration, different front panel layout, extra 5" video display stuck in the face! ), but if they are borrowing from or building on the Outlaw/EasTech foundation that would make for some interesting comparisons between the different family members.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#41878 - 11/11/02 07:23 PM Re: Clones Part 2
zakman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Bernard, TX USA
The Fosgate says it can be upgraded via an EPROM upgrade...hmmm...I wonder if my 950 can be upgraded too!

#41879 - 11/11/02 07:46 PM Re: Clones Part 2
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

When Fosgate (the company) announced that their new pre-pro would feature matrix decoding for 7-speaker layouts, I got all excited and thought that Fosgate (the man) had finally come up with a 7.1-channel version of PL II. Well, it turns out that their "7.1 Extended Surround" is the same as Rotel's XS (eXtended Surround) which is the same as Outlaw's CES processing.

Sanjay,

Can you disclose how you were able to confirm Rotel's XS processing is the same as Outlaw's CES? Also are you saying Fosgate's 7.1 channel version of PL II has like the Outlaw 950, just 6.1 distinct channels?

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited November 11, 2002).]

#41880 - 11/11/02 08:13 PM Re: Clones Part 2
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
For what its worth I just read at HTF that DPLII was orginially designed with capiblity to handle 7 discreet channels but when released pulled back to processing only 5.1 material. The poster said he assumed that gave the wiggle room for a future uppath someday, (when there is more 6 channel discreet DVD material on market and (someday 7 channel) to 'excite' us all to run purchase DPL3.
Just passing 3rd hand.

#41881 - 11/11/02 09:34 PM Re: Clones Part 2
SayersWeb Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
The poster said he assumed that gave the wiggle room for a future uppath someday, (when there is more 6 channel discreet DVD material on market and (someday 7 channel) to 'excite' us all to run purchase DPL3.
Just passing 3rd hand.

Arghhh! Figures..... I won't be buying a new pre/pro just for that upgrade!

Sayer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts