Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#41827 - 10/22/02 01:23 AM Phantom Center Mode
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
My old processor had a Phantom Center mode that would make the center channel mode come from the two front speakers. If I try to do this with the 950, I don't get any good surround modes. For example give this a try.

Disable your center channel, put in a DTS DVD and tell me what modes you can listen in.

My question is: If you disable the center channel are you suppose to have all of the other DTS modes? Will you be able to listen to LF/RF/RSB/LSB/LFE?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited October 22, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#41828 - 10/22/02 12:42 PM Re: Phantom Center Mode
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Gene:

I am not positive,but I think I found the same thing. That is another reason I am still using my Sony processor, as you can disable the center channel and still have full functionality.

#41829 - 10/22/02 10:02 PM Re: Phantom Center Mode
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Anyone for some more MIPS?

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#41830 - 10/23/02 09:58 PM Re: Phantom Center Mode
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Anyone for some more MIPS?

What's MIPS?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#41831 - 10/24/02 04:52 AM Re: Phantom Center Mode
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Gene,
Quote:
What's MIPS?
Million Instructions Per Second. As in measuring the processing power of a computer chip.
Quote:
If I try to do this with the 950, I don't get any good surround modes.
Can't the 950 be set up (in the Speaker Config menu) without a centre speaker? If so, then can't you play any discrete 5.1 sources, either DD or DTS? Mind you, I'm not talking about a phantom centre mode but a 'no centre' configuration.

Best,
Sanjay

[This message has been edited by sdurani (edited October 24, 2002).]

#41832 - 10/24/02 09:20 PM Re: Phantom Center Mode
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

I knew what MIPS meant, but I am still not sure what it means in this thread, Oh well.

From what I have seen so far, if you remove the center channel from the config menu you will get no Digital sound, only stereo and with no subwoofer. Try it and tell me if your results are any different.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited November 03, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#41833 - 10/24/02 10:12 PM Re: Phantom Center Mode
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
My center is down for maintenance, but everything else works as it should. I barely miss the center; the sub works as normal. If by the reference to MIPS, you mean there isn't enough horsepower to process without a center, thats clearly wrong. I drop into this forum once in a while, but less frequently now.
It seems the only folks posting are those who are looking for something to gripe about, and then usually are wrong anyway. My 950 is far and away the best value of any product I have had in years. I had a Kinergetics Chiro system before, which was Stereophool recommended. The 950 blows it away in the various processing modes, and for music is about its equal.
Mike

#41834 - 10/25/02 12:19 AM Re: Phantom Center Mode
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
If by the reference to MIPS, you mean there isn't enough horsepower to process without a center, thats clearly wrong.

Either there isn't enough processing power (bandwidth), or else Outlaw (or Cirrus) simply chose not to include that capability.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#41835 - 10/25/02 12:34 AM Re: Phantom Center Mode
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by srfdude:
My center is down for maintenance, but everything else works as it should. I barely miss the center; the sub works as normal.

Mike

You are not using the center speaker, but have you gone into the Configuration Menu of the 950 and selected "None" for the center channel? If you have and you are able to play all different modes, then there is something wrong with my 950. I am only able to 2.0 with the center channel disabled.

I would think that if your center channel was not hooked up you would be missing a large part of the DTS signal. I don't think the 950 automatically senses that it's not connected and sends the center channel signals to the LF/RF.

I am just trying to emulate 4.1 which the 950 cannot do.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#41836 - 10/25/02 01:02 AM Re: Phantom Center Mode
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by srfdude:
My center is down for maintenance, but everything else works as it should. I barely miss the center; the sub works as normal. If by the reference to MIPS, you mean there isn't enough horsepower to process without a center, thats clearly wrong. I drop into this forum once in a while, but less frequently now.
It seems the only folks posting are those who are looking for something to gripe about, and then usually are wrong anyway. My 950 is far and away the best value of any product I have had in years. I had a Kinergetics Chiro system before, which was Stereophool recommended. The 950 blows it away in the various processing modes, and for music is about its equal.
Mike

i beg your pardon, young man...i am certainly not a griper and i most definitely agree with your comments on the 950.

when i was young(er), i did some studio work and heard the playback from the master tape through 2 huge JBL 2-way monitors (this was around 1972). ever since then, i quietly dreamed of hearing that sort of playback in my own home. SACD and the 950 made that possible, as i will never buy a multi-kilo-bucks preamp. read any of my posts. ZERO complaints. and....it was good to read your post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM