Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#41736 - 11/13/02 09:11 AM Speaker Calibration
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I am confused....I have used the pink noise from the Model 950 to set the trim levels on all channels and it sounds pretty good. However, when I verified these settings with the Avia disc, the levels were way off. I had to move all of the channels at least 2 db, some up, some down, in order to calibrate with the disc. The sound is not that much different, so I am confused on which test tone to use for any future calibrations. I would think the tones from the disc are more accurate for HT because they are actually coming from the DVD source. However, the tones from the Model 950 are maybe more accurate for music from the tuner and CD. Help!

Scott

#41737 - 11/13/02 11:56 AM Re: Speaker Calibration
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I would think the tones from the disc are more accurate for HT because they are actually coming from the DVD source.
Scott, I’m really no help with this , (maybe one of our engineers?) I calibrated using the Outlaw and have not compared to the differences when calibrating through the DVD player on a disc like AVIA. One of these days I’ll get to compare everything but….
When I see posters discuss it, it seems to be sheer personal preference whether they calibrate using pre/pro or receiver provided tones or through the discs and they all comment on the slight differences. There also seem to be slight variations remarked upon when comparing one calibration disc to each other.
If you do a search under ‘Favorite Demos’ in the forum seems I remember some comparison discussion in the past on calb. Discs preferred and why, - if using your player.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited November 13, 2002).]

#41738 - 11/13/02 12:20 PM Re: Speaker Calibration
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
The Avia disc pink noise signals are recorded 10db louder, and it is intended that you set the sound pressure level for each speaker to 85db verses 75db, as you would on the 950.

There are going to be differences in comparing the 950 or any other device to the pink noise on a DVD test disc, but they should not be extreme, or even something to worry about. Most people rarely play movies at the 'reference' level; it's simply to loud.

I simply use the tones in the 950, for convenience if nothing else.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 13, 2002).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM