Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4167 - 05/18/03 07:12 AM "Loudness" circuitry
tcumbo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Hi all -

Just got my 1050 yesterday and couldn't wait to hook it up. Everything went smoothly - pulled my old Carver 752 out and connected by DVD player, VCR, TV and a home PC to the inputs. It was early in the morning, so I had to begin my listening tests at low volumes as to not wake up the family :-)

To my surprise, the lack of bass was SO evident. I quickly found another post here that discussed what I was experiencing, although he sent his receiver back in for a new one. I had all the connections and bass management set correctly, but almost nothing was coming from the bass drivers in my front speakers (where I route all bass - no subwoofer at this point).

Finally I cranked it up and the sound was glorious! All the bass kicked in when I got to about 30-35 on the volume.

Its unfortunate, but I think this receiver does not compensate for the human ear's characteristics of hearing bass at low levels. (ie, 'loudness' circuitry's aim). I listen to music in the house all day, at moderately low levels (around 20?) and this receiver has made my speakers sound like small tabletop radios. The Carver's loudness circuit pulled all the bass up.

Thinking of adding a subwoofer now. Darn! There goes by $499 advantage!

Tom

#4168 - 05/18/03 01:46 PM Re: "Loudness" circuitry
tcumbo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

- Spent the morning today thinking: Hey! Maybe I can just insert an equalizer into the path to increase bass!

Humpf... no tape monitor loop. I guess I'm stuck.

#4169 - 05/18/03 03:23 PM Re: "Loudness" circuitry
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I may be wrong, but couldn't you put the EQ
in the system between the CD player and the 1050?

You might also want to try the direct inputs. There have been some posts around here about not being happy with the DACs inside of the 1050.

#4170 - 05/18/03 03:46 PM Re: "Loudness" circuitry
tcumbo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yes, I could put it there, but it would only EQ my CD player audio, not the TV, VCR, etc.

Its worth a try though! Thanks!

#4171 - 05/19/03 11:58 AM Re: "Loudness" circuitry
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I venture to say that your lack of bass response is purely related to the volume. At low volumes you wouldn't get much bass (especially below 30 on the Outlaw dial), bass needs amp oomph in order to make it audible. For most of my music I have my Outlaw between 45 and 50 (using direct analog, like SACD, up to 55) on the dial. There is plenty of bass heard then. The spl level at these settings is anywhere from low 70's to upper 80's (depending upon recording and speaker sensitivity). The bass impact will be very minimal at low volume settings. Give that volume dial a little more of a turn or two.

#4172 - 05/31/03 06:39 PM Re: "Loudness" circuitry
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tcumbo:
Yes, I could put it there, but it would only EQ my CD player audio, not the TV, VCR, etc.

Its worth a try though! Thanks!

You wouldn't want to equalize the TV and VCR inputs anyway, since I think that would destroy the surround encoding information contained therein.

Jeff

#4173 - 06/09/03 12:40 AM Re: "Loudness" circuitry
sfw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: IL, USA
Don't forget that the 1050 does have bass and treble control (limited, but it's something). You may be able to recover some of the missing "loudness" you need at low volume by twiddling with them.

#4174 - 06/09/03 07:07 AM Re: "Loudness" circuitry
tcumbo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for all yur advice, everyone! I'm keeping the 1050.

As far as "just turn it up", that won't work for me. The sound needs to remain in the background, yet sound full. My Carver did that no problem. We very often have the music on during dinner, entertaining, etc. And still want to talk.

My "Bass" setting has been and will always be set to +6. No help from that.

Adding Bass to TV and VCR input would not destroy surround encoding. Otherwise the bass and treble controls on my TV would already do that.

Im going to purchase a subwoofer. i think that will give me the low-end at loww volumes as well as provide strong bass at loud volumes. Oh - and I now have an equalizer inserted between my CD player and 1050.

Thanks again everyone!

[This message has been edited by tcumbo (edited June 09, 2003).]

#4175 - 06/09/03 11:39 AM Re: "Loudness" circuitry
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I'm just curious, but what kind of speakers are you using?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts