Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#41315 - 10/27/02 05:18 AM Re: CEDIA Pics
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

Fosgate Audionics is coming out with surround processors that were announced as having a 7-channel implementation of PL II.

And according to Sanjay's first link, not to be outdone, the Sunfire Theater Grand III, supports a 9.1 channel configuration.

#41316 - 10/27/02 12:25 PM Re: CEDIA Pics
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
[QUOTE]
.....not to be outdone, the Sunfire Theater Grand III, supports a 9.1 channel configuration.

Just keep in mind in all this channel escalation to "27.1" or who knows what else - movies are mixed at a maximum of 5.1 'hard' channels. Dolby EX adds a _matrixed_ back surround channel to this. This is _not_ going to change in the forseeable future. All those 'channels' added after the fact by the pre/pro are 'synthesized' and are actually 'distrortions' of the original intent of the film mix. They may sound just fine - but just remember that the original source is just 5.1 actual channels. Sony's SDDS is a variation to this that is _only_ heard in _some_ theatres; they have 5 hard channels behind the screen instead of 3, for an actual channel count of 7.1. To tell the truth, having heard this format in a mixing situation, it _does_ add to the seamlessness across the screen to have those extra 2 channels between the far left and far right speakers.

#41317 - 10/27/02 01:02 PM Re: CEDIA Pics
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Just keep in mind in all this channel escalation to "27.1" or who knows what else - movies are mixed at a maximum of 5.1 'hard' channels.

What about DTS-ES 6.1 DISCRETE soundhound? When used, it IS a separate channel in the mix, and is not matrixed into the L/R surrounds. According to Digital Theater Systems, when Discrete is decoded by the surround processor, it will also subtact the matrix info out of the L/R surrounds allowing them to remain independent.

#41318 - 10/27/02 01:25 PM Re: CEDIA Pics
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Yes, you are right about the discrete DTS back channel. When a film soundtrack master that has a back surround leaves the dubbing stage for DTS encoding, it has a discrete back surround channel. This still does not change the fact that anything beyond 5.1 or 6.1 in DTS in a pre/pro is _synthesized_ no matter how much marketing spin the manufacturers put on it.

Regarding DTS using the matrix in addition to the discrete in the back surrounds - the fact is that the back surround channel is mixed in MONO (both DD and DTS) and no after the fact scheme can make it otherwise - again anything more is _synthesized_, and NOT what the mixers intended.

Personally, I like the effect of 'stereoized' back surrounds: I'm not dumping on what anybody finds pleasing - I just wanted to inject a dose of reality check in all this. Marketing types will try to convince you of anything to move product!

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 27, 2002).]

#41319 - 10/27/02 03:15 PM Re: CEDIA Pics
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
...not to be outdone, the Sunfire Theater Grand III, supports a 9.1 channel configuration.
I'd be curious what actually gets sent to those two additional speakers. According to the report, they seem to be used for Sunfire's all-speaker-stereo mode.

Sanjay

#41320 - 10/27/02 03:37 PM Re: CEDIA Pics
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Quote:
They may sound just fine - but just remember that the original source is just 5.1 actual channels.
What has the number of discrete channels got to do with anything, especially "original intent"? Should Pro Logic material be played back over only 2 speakers? After all (to paraphrase you) the original source is just 2 actual channels.

Best,
Sanjay

#41321 - 10/27/02 03:46 PM Re: CEDIA Pics
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
]What has the number of discrete channels got to do with anything, especially "original intent"?

Please re-read my post _carefully_

Of course ProLogic should be replayed with more than 2 channels, as it is a matrixed format. Films now are mixed with 5.1 or 6.1 channels, and having a pre/pro 'synthesize' more 'channels' should be looked upon as exactly what it is - a re-intrepretation of what is on the original track, and not what was actually heard in the dubbing theatre. If you LIKE what these pre/pros add, GREAT! Just don't confuse it for what was heard in the original mix.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 27, 2002).]

#41322 - 10/27/02 05:03 PM Re: CEDIA Pics
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Thanks again Sanjay, I had clicked in quick and did not read all pages. I find it very interesting indeed that the inventor of DP11 chose Cirrus to implement 7 channel extensions for his FAP-T1

Regarding the Outlaw clones, since the “The core unit can be slightly customized.. but the basic architecture is fixed” as products launch it will be engaging to track if sound differences will be marginal or noticeable with the bulk of additional purchase price still just buying ‘the look’.

#41323 - 10/29/02 10:30 PM Re: CEDIA Pics
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Lena,
Quote:
I find it very interesting indeed that the inventor of DP11 chose Cirrus to implement 7 channel extensions for his FAP-T1.
Yeah, go figure. Still, if you're buying a surround processor for the surround processing (what a concept), it's comforting to know that there's not much fancy-shmancy processing in Fosgate's own pre-pro that you don't have on your 950. Score one for the $899 unit!
Quote:
Regarding the Outlaw clones, since the “The core unit can be slightly customized.. but the basic architecture is fixed” as products launch it will be engaging to track if sound differences will be marginal or noticeable with the bulk of additional purchase price still just buying ‘the look’.
I'm guess the difference in sonics will be closer to marginal, if any at all. What can I say, I'm a skeptic (though I can't prove it).

Best,
Sanjay

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts