Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#41270 - 10/20/02 03:48 AM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
bigmac Offline
Gunslinger

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Will. That speaker setup may be fine, but is certainly not in the same class as the Anthem. I believe that a different speaker setup would likely have revealed more significant differences between the Anthem and the 950.

By all accounts, both the 950 and the Anthem are very nice sounding units (hiss notwithstanding). With that in mind, it will take higher and higher quality speakers to reveal more differences.

If you're going to stick with the Anthem, I would highly suggest a speaker upgrade to take full advantage of it. If you stick with the 950, I'd still go for an all-around upgrade. Similarly-voiced speakers all-around are critical to a realistic soundfield.

Don't discount the difference a set of speakers will make. Also, speakers tend to be the _best_ long-term investment in an audio system. A $3000 component could be outdated and outperformed by a $300 component in just a few short years. An expensive speaker system can continue to hold its own for many, many years.

#41271 - 10/20/02 04:18 AM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Jim:

Was that test tone CD I sent you useful in setting things up?

#41272 - 10/20/02 01:02 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
tonygeno Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: MA
Jim:

While the individual speakers you have may not be in and of themselves bad, they are mismatched all around. The only worse setup would be to have a different left and right speaker. Before springing for the Anthem, I would spring for the S-Center and 4 S26's (or 36's) all around in the rears. This "upgrade" will give you much better bang for the buck (and probably better sound overall) than the 950 to Anthem upgrade (with your current setup). Really.

[This message has been edited by tonygeno (edited October 20, 2002).]

#41273 - 10/20/02 05:27 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Jim- So maybe that's a thought: keep the 950, and sink that extra cash into your mains.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#41274 - 10/20/02 05:38 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
[B] [QUOTE]
Front Speakers: JBL S312
Center Channel: B.I.C. DV62CLR
Surrounds: Klipsch Quintet

Hi Jim,

In any home theater, balance is key. Personally, if I had JBL S312 front speakers (available new for under $142 a pair at eCost.com)

will: $142/pair? i'd buy 3 pair today at that price.

#41275 - 10/20/02 06:38 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
You could pay more. How 'bout $239 each at etronics.com? http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=jbls312ii&SVBName=303

#41276 - 10/21/02 01:24 AM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
santaclarajim Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, California
All,

While I recognize the importance of speakers in a complete audio system, I must respectfully disagree with your conclusions.

I selected the S312s after a great deal of critical listening. I think it is presumptuous and erroneous to assume that a speaker for which I paid $600/pair (list $1000 at that time) would provide poor sound.

I do, in fact, look for excellent value. The S312s still carry a rating of 4.7 on audioreview.com. That rating is in place despite having 84 reviews. That suggests they sound pretty good.

Additionally, the BIC DV62CLR center channel still holds a rating of 4.84 with 56 reviews. When I purchased that center, it was a best buy on audioreview.com.

Kevin agreed during the head-to-head that my speakers sounded good.

Setting aside the speaker question, I can still hear a difference between the two units; even on my "cheap" speakers. The Anthem just produces better sound.

I can hear a difference. Every other discussion is academic.

Regards,
Santa Clara Jim

#41277 - 10/21/02 07:31 AM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
tonygeno Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: MA
Quote:
Originally posted by santaclarajim:
All,

I do, in fact, look for excellent value. The S312s still carry a rating of 4.7 on audioreview.com. That rating is in place despite having 84 reviews. That suggests they sound pretty good.

Additionally, the BIC DV62CLR center channel still holds a rating of 4.84 with 56 reviews. When I purchased that center, it was a best buy on audioreview.com.

Setting aside the speaker question, I can still hear a difference between the two units; even on my "cheap" speakers. The Anthem just produces better sound.

I can hear a difference. Every other discussion is academic.

Regards,
Santa Clara Jim

No, it's not. I'm not discussing the "quality" of the speakers, but the fact that they are mismatched. Different fronts, centers and surrounds is nuts in a high quality home theater, no matter the Audioreview ratings. Maybe you hear a difference, but you will hear superior performance with matched speakers all around and an Outlaw, than with your hodge podge of highly reviewed speakers and the Anthem.

[This message has been edited by tonygeno (edited October 21, 2002).]

#41278 - 10/21/02 10:48 AM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
scjim:
firstly, please understand that i mean no slight to you or your decision to purchase any product. i am only trying to impose on your kindness while you have both units in your home.

i am curious as to the all-in-one amps. if you could switch them, i would like to know how it affects the difference in sound of the prepros.

also, does the anthem have a 6 channel bypass option, with analog x-over, like the 950, or does it have to be converted to digital to be 'bass managed'?

i too, have picked up 4 s312 jbl cabs, as i donated my custom built dynaudios to a relative and am building a new set. i like them. a bit harsh in the hi-mid to low tweeter range, but otherwise, very accurate for the money.

also, if there is any way for you to compare sacd multichannel between the 2, i would like to hear your thoughts.

i appreciate your patience with 'all'.

#41279 - 10/21/02 04:41 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

Of the speakers in the list, I would only replace the Klipsch.

Hi Jim,

I think you have the Klipsch Quintet as surrounds only, even though it is a quintet of speakers. Did you once have the Klipsch Quintet all around, then upgraded to the JBL in front and the BIC in the center? If so, you probably heard a big improvement. But just as you heard an improvement with that change, chances are you'd hear a further improvement, if you put matching fronts and centers of higher quality in your room, especially with a 950 or Anthem pre/pro.
Quote:

Your speakers sound good, but they could be better. Kevin posted that he made suggestions concerning the room that would improve the sound, including moving your speakers so they would sound better. He also posted that maybe you should keep the 950 and sink that extra cash into better mains.

I have not heard your system. Maybe it is a killer system. But why not consider auditioning in your own home, better front and center speakers?

Best wishes on that looming Wednesday deadline to either keep the 950 or go for the Anthem!

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 21, 2002).]

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM