Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14 >
Topic Options
#41220 - 10/04/02 01:08 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by naug:
Whoa - I read this forum occasionally but this thread is just plain silly.

Sounds like your work for McCormack....

Cool down...we're not questioning Jim's ears or choice of components. We're just trying to suggest ways he can confirm to his own satisfaction if the added expense of the Anthem would be justified. Personally, I would just want him to enjoy _whatever_ he gets!

#41221 - 10/04/02 01:26 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Many moons ago, I did almost exactly what SC Jim did. On a Monday when a local Anthem dealer was closed, me and a friendly saleman(the owner's grandson) conpared the Anthem AVM-20 to the 950. As best I can remember, this system used a Denon 2800 DVD player as the source, a matching 5 channel Anthem amp as the power, and expensive JM Labs speakers. Not that it mattered, but video was a Sony 10HT projector.

For DVD movie playback, we could not tell the difference between the Anthem and the Outlaw. For digital playback of CDs, we thought that we very slightly favored the Anthem, but that might have been cost/expectations bias entering into our non-blinded, non-scientific comparison. Finally, for analog bypass playback, we both slightly preferred the Anthem.

Since this was many months ago, the 950 was one of the demo versions(I think?) and the Anthem was a version prior to the availability of the DPL2 upgrade to that unit.

We finished our comparison by sitting down and watching the rest of Star Wars: TPM using the 950.

Since then, I found that adding a Sony P9K preamp and ICBM for MC SACD and analog CD playback to the Outlaw 950, makes the combo both cheaper ($1600 vs $2500+) and sonically superior(IMO) to the Anthem for all musical and movie uses in my HT system. YMMV.

[This message has been edited by merc (edited October 04, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#41222 - 10/04/02 01:38 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
santaclarajim Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, California
Quote:
Originally posted by merc:
Many moons ago, I did almost exactly what SC Jim did. On a Monday when a local Anthem dealer was closed, me and a friendly saleman(the owner's grandson) conpared the Anthem AVM-20 to the 950. As best I can remember, this system used a Denon 2800 DVD player as the source, a matching 5 channel Anthem amp as the power, and expensive JM Labs speakers. Not that it mattered, but video was a Sony 10HT projector.

For DVD movie playback, we could not tell the difference between the Anthem and the Outlaw. For digital playback of CDs, we thought that we very slightly favored the Anthem, but that might have been cost/expectations bias entering into our non-blinded, non-scientific comparison. Finally, for analog bypass playback, we both slightly preferred the Anthem.

Since this was many months ago, the 950 was one of the demo versions(I think?) and the Anthem was a version prior to the availability of the DPL2 upgrade to that unit.

We finished our comparison by sitting down and watching the rest of Star Wars: TPM using the 950.

Since then, I found that adding a Sony P9K preamp and ICBM for MC SACD and analog CD playback to the Outlaw 950, makes the combo both cheaper ($1600 vs $2500+) and sonically superior(IMO) to the Anthem for all musical and movie uses in my HT system. YMMV.

[This message has been edited by merc (edited October 04, 2002).]

Merc,

The difference I heard was so obvious that I must conclude that either:

a) something was wrong with the configuration or hardware of the Outlaw Unit

or

b) the dealer "cooked" the demo. Please note that I didn't scrutinize the hookup of the cables to the Outlaw.

I think I will ask the dealer for an over-the-weekend loaner.

That will be the best way to resolve this whole matter. Failing that, I am not sure how to proceed.

Regards,
Santa Clara Jim

#41223 - 10/04/02 02:45 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by merc:

Um, we're testing this unit - yeah, that's it!

#41224 - 10/04/02 02:50 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
charlie Offline
Desperado

I'm not trying to insult you, or anyone else, but the difference between hearing (a physical response to sound waves) and perception should always be kept in mind. I hope you can get your loaner.

Merc has a really cool solution to the double bass issue (see above) and if the digital (A->D->A and D->A) part of the 950 is clean that would be a possible solution for me. The noise measurements soundhound took really shake my level of confidence though.

#41225 - 10/04/02 02:55 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

One last thing I'd consider to split the difference on the expense. The 950 has a bit of an analytical sound erring on the cool side. If the 750 has similar sonic qualities, the combination might not be good for someone that enjoyed a warmer sound.

I have my 950 paired up with a Rotel 985. I originally thought the 985 was a bit bloomy and over warm in the lower mids when mated with my previous Rotel pre/pro. But with the 950 the tubbiness is gone, and HT at least sounds excellent to the point where more money spent to improve on that sound would seem quite excessive to me.

For me, cool sounding components should always be counter weighted with warmer ones. That way you don't end up with an overly analytical sound or an overly bloomy undetailed one either.

In other words - try the 950 with other amps. (whew, took awhile to get to the punchline).

I have no doubt at over twice the price the Anthem would sound better (I've heard alot of good things), but by mating the 950 with the right amp, you might be able to close the gap quite a bit.

#41226 - 10/04/02 02:59 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
santaclarajim Offline
Gunslinger

Okay! Alright! That's it! I gots ta know!

I'm going to have to a head-to-head at my home. I called the dealer. I can buy an Anthem AVM20 witha 7 day return policy. He knows my intentions and is okay with it.

I have placed the order and will try the Anthem out against the 950. No more speculation.

The only unanswered question that will remain will be whether I have a bad 950 unit or not. If anyone in the SF Bay area is interested in participating, let me know.

I won't get the Anthem for about a week.

More to follow.

Regards,
Santa Clara Jim

#41227 - 10/04/02 04:09 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Jim- I'm also in Santa Clara. (Near Lawrence and El Camino.)

If it's OK, I'd like to stop by for a listen. (I've never seen the Anthem.)

kevin5brownremovefornonspam@yahoo.com.

I have the Autosound 2000 test disc, with that and a sound meter, we can get the phase correct between the mains and sub. (A bugaboo of mine.) Sometimes explains why people think a component or speakers are bass-challenged!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#41228 - 10/04/02 04:44 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
now your gettin' somewhere. will be very interesting...

btw, kevin: been meaning to ask, which disc (#) do you have and what format is it? i have been wondering how the disc works in 6 ch. bypass.

#41229 - 10/04/02 05:55 PM Re: Shootour Results: Outlaw 950 vs. Anthem AVM20
santaclarajim Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Jim- I'm also in Santa Clara. (Near Lawrence and El Camino.)

If it's OK, I'd like to stop by for a listen. (I've never seen the Anthem.)

kevin5brownremovefornonspam@yahoo.com.

I have the Autosound 2000 test disc, with that and a sound meter, we can get the phase correct between the mains and sub. (A bugaboo of mine.) Sometimes explains why people think a component or speakers are bass-challenged!

Kevin,

I am in the same neighborhood. You are most welcome. I look forward to having an additional pair of ears to validate the results.

Regards,
Santa Clara Jim

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts