Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#40955 - 10/04/02 09:21 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Thanks Kevin!

#40956 - 10/04/02 10:39 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Quote:
I am now beginning to believe that those of us that are experiencing hiss with the current crop of units really do have "higher resolution" systems than most people. (Note the smiley face...)

Just curious Kevin, are you saying that high speaker sensitivity numbers equates to "high-end" or "higher resolution" speaker designs? If so, I feel sorry for those who own expensive speakers made by companies like Wilson Audio, Revel, Joseph Audio or Aerial, just to name a few. Some of these $8,000-$20,000 (and up) per pair offerings list speaker sensitivities ranging as low as 81dB to around 88dB. I'd list most any of these companies offerings as "higher resolution" in my book. In fact, most high-end (i.e. expensive)designs tend to fall more in the "low sensitivity" design arena. To me, speaker sensitivity and "resolution" are not necessarily related. My apologies if I have misunderstood your intent, Kevin, but just felt I needed to make a small clarification.

#40957 - 10/05/02 12:31 AM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Steves- Man, don't you have a sense of humor? It was a JOKE. There are crappy sensitive speakers just as there are crappy low sensitivity ones, and high quality for each too.

BTW, I hope you also realize that a high MSRP doesn't necessarily guaranty good sound either.

If you do believe that, you should pick up an Audio Critic sometime. (Audio mag that's not that easy to find. Article in the current issue about that very subject, with example frequency responses and comments in terms of listening tests.)

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited October 05, 2002).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#40958 - 10/05/02 02:58 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

Kevin C Brown writes
Outlaw hasn't said that I can't say anything, so... They have a new/different unit enroute to me at this very minute. Probably Fri. I'll keep everyone posted.

Has your new unit arrived and if so, is the hiss significantly reduced?

#40959 - 10/05/02 03:43 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Kevin- Like I originally said- my apologies for the misunderstanding. And definitely- the higher MSRP the better the sound!! That's why I bought Outlaw equipment.

#40960 - 10/06/02 01:41 AM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Steves- Coolness. Did I mention that also for value, I'm using Bose minicubes and a bass module with my system?

Man, went over a friend of a friend's place today who just spent like mucho bucks on remodeling his house, and he had a Bose system in his family room. I just don't know what to say...

#40961 - 10/08/02 03:52 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Kevin Brown,

So what's up with your replacement 950 that you were expecting last Friday? I have been waiting for your post on that.

#40962 - 10/08/02 04:03 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

AJ and Will- The 2nd unit acted the same in my system as the 1st. So I kept my original 950, and am returning the 2nd one.

They are within the same range of serial numbers, so I think it was just an attempt to make sure I didn't have a defective unit.

It's good, because they did act the same way. That's why I posted on another thread that I didn't really think they had an issue with QC or much variation between units. (At least these two! )

It's bad, because obviously I still have the small amount of hiss...

I figure either they will find the problem in the 950, and I'll get another one someday, or maybe the "high end" version will come out soon enough that would be an upgrade for me. So in conclusion, the 950 is good enough for right now, but hopefully Outlaw can come through. (But I'll be keeping my eye on the B&K and whenever the Sherwood comes out.)

#40963 - 10/08/02 06:48 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
Will Offline
Desperado

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the update. That's EXACTLY my experience too! Get a new 950. Hook it up and listen. Discover the hiss is about the same as the old 950. It's happened to me more than once.

But what's cool about your particular situation is the head Outlaw himself told you they know about the problem and they aren't throwing in the towel on fixing the hiss problem on the 950.

Have you told the head Outlaw that swapping 950's does NOT reduce the hiss in your system?

What are your thoughts now?

For reference here's a snippet of your previous post:
Quote:

Hey all. I got a very welcome phone call today from the head Outlaw himself, Peter.

A very nice chat. The dude knows what he's doing! A very nice guy too.

Anyway, hopefully I'm not letting a cat out of the bag, but:

OUTLAW IS CONTINUING TO WORK ON THE HISS PROBLEM...

But I now feel confident that we aren't being "hung out to dry" and that they know that it's real, and that they will try hard to find a solution for us.

Made my day, really. Like talking to a "rock star" or a famous (in a good way) politician or something.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 08, 2002).]

#40964 - 10/08/02 08:34 PM Re: Analog introduces hiss?
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Well I have more than a "small amount of hiss" and only about 2 weeks left to decide whether to keep or return. I was hopeful there was a fix out there already for loud hiss people.

I am not excited about keeping such a hissy unit. If I return it, I have 3 options: 1) buy a much more expensive pre/pro; 2) buy a less expensive receiver with preouts; or 3) wait and see if Outlaw really makes a fundamental change in the next month or two and then buy it again.

If I decide I cannot live with the hiss, I will not hold onto it in hopes that I will be taken care of in the future. I think Outlaw has phenomenal customer service, but I am not going to expect that much.

With Kevin's unit a "no improvement", I don't know if there is going to be any news to change my opinion/hopes from today until my return window closes. Guess I'll spend the next two weeks listening to the 950 and looking more at alternatives.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts