Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4090 - 05/10/03 10:04 PM 1050 Out-Dated???
ericlp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eugene, oregon
I am thinking about purchasing a new unit. I think I am done with Onkyo, Customer Service isn't what I'd like them to be.

I am thinking about either a 1050 or a denon AVR-3803 Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 7.1 A/V Receiver

Dolby Digital Surround EX, Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes
DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding
DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding
DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding
DTS ES 96/24 5.1 decoding for DVD Video
New DDSC-Digital featuring Analog Devices Melody 100 (HammerHead SHARC) 32 bit floating point DSP processor
7 Channels equal power amplifier section
110 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD)
150 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, <.7%THD)
16 Burr-Brown PCM-1791 24 bit, 192 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels, in differential configuration
Real 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver
24 bit, 192 kHz A/D conversion (16 Burr-Brown PCM) on all analog inputs
Pure Audio mode, features 4 DACs per audio channel in dual-differential configuration
ALPHA 24 Processing (AL24) in Stereo/Direct/Pure Direct modes (left/right channels)
Adjustable High and Low Pass Crossover (40/60/80/100/120Hz)
2 Assignable component video inputs (100MHz), with On-Screen Display
Video Conversion of Composite to S-Video and/or to Component, with on-screen display
7 sets composite and "S" video inputs
7.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) input for future multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio)
5/7 Channel Stereo
Digitally regulated volume control with .5dB increment adjustments and step range of -80 to +15

Dunno, I'm really having a hard time keeping up with all this crap. Anyone know what all this stuff means? Bottem line is it worth it to get more featurs for 200 bucks more? Are DVD's changing that quickly? I'd hate to buy a 500.00 reciever just to find out it's not compatible with newer DVD's comming out. What is DTS ES? What's up with Burr-Brown... I'd like to hear all your comments on this... This also does multi zoneing and comes with a neat LCD remote. Tho, these things arn't high on my list. Anyway, folks @ audioreview give this unit high marks.

#4091 - 05/12/03 10:55 AM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Let me see if I can untangle some of this at least a little.

Dolby Digital EX: Expanded version of Dolby Digital that produces a surround back channel (a sixth or sixth and seventh speaker behind the surrounds). The 1050's Surround 6.1 mode is a proprietary form of this, as Dolby did not begin licensing EX processing until the end of 2001.

Pro Logic II: Successor to Pro Logic. It is much better at converting a stereo signal into surround, including discrete surrounds (unlike Pro Logic, which sent the same information to both surround speakers). It comes with both cinema and music modes, each geared toward movies/TV or music respectively. It is most useful to people who watch a lot of TV or video tapes, or people who like listening to stereo music in surround modes. The 1050 has Pro Logic only.

DTS ES Discrete and Matrix 6.1: DTS ES is DTS's answer to Dolby EX. There are two versions -- one in which the surround back channel is stored "discretely" in the soundtrack and one in which the surround back channel is "matrixed" into the surrounds (which is the same method used by Pro Logic to store the center and surround channels, and Dolby EX to store the surround back channel). There is not a lot of DTS-ES material available. The 1050's Surround 6.1 mode can not be used with a DTS signal, although it can be used with the 5.1 analog input (as would be the case if you were using a DVD player with an onboard DTS decoder and connected six analog audio cables between the player and the 1050).

DTS:NEO6: The DTS version of Pro Logic II.

"New DDSC-Digital featuring Analog Devices Melody 100 (HammerHead SHARC) 32 bit floating point DSP processor": I do believe that this is the marketing way of saying "we really like the DSP engine we put in here" -- the processor that does all the digital signal processing described above.

7 channel amp: They are listing this probably because some of their competitors have often produced receivers that included some form of EX processing (allowing for a sixth or even seventh speaker), but only included built-in amplification for the basic five channels. To use the EX modes, the user would need to get a separate power amp and connect to the receiver's pre-amp outputs. I believe that Onkyo was actually guilty of this at one time, and may still be on their low-end receivers. It just means that you don't need external amplification, even if you do elect to set up surround back speakers.

110W/channel at 8 ohms, 150W/channel at 6 ohms: This is obviously a higher amp rating than the 1050's 65W/channel at 8 ohms. Depending on your speakers, this may be a good thing. Of course, the 1050's legendary for its conservative amp rating. Also, the 1050 is capable of driving a 4 ohm speaker load; the 3803 is not rated below 6 ohms because Denon does not recommend driving a load of less than 6 ohms. Depending on your speakers, this may not matter in the least.

Burr-Brown DACs: Burr-Brown are widely regarded as some of the "best" digital-to-analog converters.

Adjustable High and Low Pass Crossover (40/60/80/100/120Hz): This means that you have some flexibility on the point at which you redirect low frequency information from your speakers to your subwoofer. Both the 1050 and 3803 allow this. Some receivers have a single fixed crossover point (THX requires an 80Hz crossover be used, for example).

The 3803 also has component video switching (2 inputs) and converts between composite video and S-video; the 1050 lacks both features. I'm not real sure what Denon means by "with On-Screen Display" on the component video switching; the bandwidth involved in component video makes things like OSD difficult, even for pre/pros that cost thousands of dollars, so I'm a little wary of seeing OSD strapped onto the component video switching in a receiver with a $1200 MSRP. In all likelihood they simply blank the video input and throw up a blue screen with the receiver's setup menu. The 7.1 external wide bandwidth input is a multi-channel analog input similar to the 1050's 5.1 input, but with the addition of inputs for surround back channels. The "future multi-channel formats" is referring to two currently-available formats -- DVD-Audio and SACD, both of which must be converted to analog audio in the player for copy protection purposes, and both of which are 5.1 formats.

There were a few items on that list that I skipped, but hopefully that will untangle some of it for you. The 3803 is certainly a well-equipped receiver, and I see a lot of people online who certainly like Denon's stuff. There are also some pretty big bargains available online, but not all of them are authorized Denon distributors -- which means buying from them would leave you without any warranty at all. The 1050 is an older design than the 3803 (which is primarily an issue of the extra processing modes like Dolby EX, DTS ES, and Pro Logic II). There have been a number of people here in the forum who have chosen to go with the 1050 over receivers with those extra modes based on the 1050's sound quality and build quality. Of course, you will likely not find many people here in the Outlaw Saloon who chose the extra features (unless they chose the Model 950 pre/pro). If you can get the 3803 with warranty for $700, it would be hard to pass up. At the $900-$1000 that seems to be the typical price among AudioReview reviewers, it might be worthwhile to try the 1050 for 30 days and compare it to the 3803 with your own ears (and your own gear and listening room, if possible).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#4092 - 05/12/03 02:14 PM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
If you get a 1050, you get to post more questions on this forum. That means, you'll get some more amazing replies like the one above from Gonk!

#4093 - 05/14/03 07:55 AM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
ericlp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eugene, oregon
Thanks, for the infomation Gonk. I'm not sure tho. The only bad thing is I've heard Denon has one of the worst Customer Service. So... Maybe I should wait till Outlaw comes out with the 1150?

Are there any plans to retire the 1050?

Thanks for your help. I'm still not sure what to get. I don't really need all that power I was really happy with my onkyo 575 it too had only 65 watts but I think it was plenty loud. I guess Loud enough for the cops to show up at the door. Of course the sunfire sub might have had something to do with that. I wish I knew of someone with a 1050 to review...

#4094 - 05/14/03 08:25 AM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Outlaw does have the benefit of first-rate customer service. The 1050's 65W/channel will probably provide more power than your Onkyo (I know that it had more headroom than my Yamaha's 80W/channel), so I doubt you'd have any trouble there. Outlaw has mentioned that they do recognize the need for a successor to the 1050, but they aven't said anything about when such a replacement might appear -- I wouldn't expect one before the end of the year, possibly even not until 2005. That's purely guess-work, though.

Where are you located? There may be a gunslinger in your area with a 1050...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#4095 - 05/14/03 04:26 PM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
bolson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yes, the 1050 does not have the features that the newer processors have. That being said why would anyone still buy a 1050? It comes down to, what are your needs?

For me, I had a few requirements:
1 - Awesome Sound
2 - Preouts for upgrading the amp
3 - Be able to handle 4 ohm loads
4 - Under $700

After doing much research, I found that there were very few receivers (at least under $1000) out there that are rated for 4 ohm loads. When talking to salesmen I heard everything from, "Well gee, anything will handle 4 ohms" to "We don't have anything that will handle 4 ohms". This was a clincher for me.

Keep in mind that I don't have a golden ear, but the way the 1050 sounds paired with my Polk LSi's makes me stop and listen more carefully. I find myself listening to music more than ever and movies are more involving. Heck, even my one year old twins sit up and take notice when a movie starts playing.

------------------
** Disclaimer - The above may or may not have any relationship with reality **

#4096 - 05/16/03 11:13 PM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
jbrowett Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm in the same situation. I'm looking to buy a receiver, and I really want to get the 1050, but its age is the main thing that puts me off. The age means that there is no DPL II, and the six channel formats are proprietary (if that really matters). The other one I was considering was the Denon 1803, mainly because Cheap Home Theater.com rated its predecessor, the 1802, as their best pick at $500. I guess the things that draw me towards the Outlaw are the performance related issues; certainly sound quality is probably one of the most important issues (if not the most important). I'm just concerned that if I go with the 1050, sooner or later (after the 30 days!) I will end up wondering what it would be like to have those missing features. You can see the rest of my thoughts on this on my other thread in the 1050 forum.

#4097 - 05/19/03 03:32 PM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
Time_Stands_Still Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to give feed back to how I view the 1050. Please do not take any critisms harshly as I want to give thought to the units impression, positive and negative to me.

Firstly I only recently stumbled across the Outlaw (ideology) corporate structure. I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my A/V receiver ( a nice Denon 5.1 ready unit from a few years ago ) and the 1050 caught my eye as I am one who enjoys the cleaner more understated looks of a quality audio component. From looking at online pics the 1050 looks pleasing to my eyes.

Looking at the internatls also realy stand out for me. The overall level of construction looks great for a midldle priced A/V receiver. The design and layout look clean and tidy. It looks as if it would be a decent receiver for movies and more so for me music playback. The modest power ratings don't concern me too much as the looks of the power supply and the storage capacitors look beefy. I feel that this unit would reproduce audio be it movie or music nicely.

The back panel layout looks claen and uncluttered and the remote looks like a decent universal unit. I like the greenish coloured display as well.

BUT! ( oh know here he goes with a but! )

The unit is basically a 3 year old A/V amp. In 2000 it would have been quite leading edge ( esp. with the concept of a 6.1 set up as 6.1 was only in its infancy in 2000) I'm sure the Zoran custom designed processor would have given established processors from other a serious run for the money. The lack of component switiching inputs back then would not have been a concern for a receiver in its price range. They still may not be such as most HDTV's wil have multiple component inputs today. But 3 years later even more basic A/V receivers are starting to have these and they will have processors that would probably give the Zoran Dolby Digital/ DTS and propriety 6.1 processor a run for the money. I am not faulting Outlaw here as I said in 200 this piece would have been an outstanding value, but time is moving on and many choices from credible manufacturers are apparent.

I doubt most quality A/V receivers today would have better amplifier technology and design, but the 1050 troubles me in these areas I'll note below.

* No phono prepamp. I know, I know I can buy a good one if need be. Well I spin vinyl and have a decent turntable set up. I love vinyl as nothing beats it for sound quality on music. The lack of a phono preamp is not unusual as other manufacturers also do this. But the 1050 is a more higher performing piece ( sound wise ) and those who may wish to buy it may still spin vinyl. The price of $499USD for an amp that is basically a 3 yr old design is getting harder to justify, esp if one has to buy a $100+ phono preamp.

* Next The fact that analogue sources go through a digital processor and can't be seperated using the respective inputs, troubles me as I have a better quality cd player with a very good DAC built in and would not want the 1050 to mess with its signal. I know I can use the 6.1 inputs as a direct connection and that is fine, but! I would want my phono preamp to bypass this digital circuitry too. This means I would need to purchase an outboard audio switcher and plug it into the 6.1 ( Left & Right ) inputs and then plug my cd player and turnatble into this switcher. Again I am looking at upwards of $100 for an external switcher. Now $499USD is looking more like $699USD... Ok, Ok it stil may be worth it for what appears to be a fine A/V receiver in its market segment and I still feel it would sound very pleasing in stereo mode ( very important to me ) and in 5.1 or 6.1 sound, but $699 USD cvan buy me a number of other very nice A/V receivers.

Now here is the kicker, I live in Canada and though our dollar has strengthend in the last 2 months buying the 1050 at $499 USD, plus about $50 USD to ship to my door equals $550USD. The exchange rate is about 1.37 now, this equals $753.50 CDN. I'll have to pay PST/GST and DUTIES that will be about 17.5% and now I am looking at $886.00Cdn. I then must buy a phono preamp and an audio switcher add say $200 Cdn. and I am up to near $1100.00 Cdn. just to have the 1050 ( again I am attracted to it by its concept, looks and amp topology ) for around $1000Cdn I can buy a number of very nice A/V receivers that will offer an easier set up without having to buy extras and these receivers will probably have more updated Digital processors ( I am speaking of models from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha, with the Denon 2802 being far in the lead...IMO )

( Get to your point in your rant.. they are all screaming as they read my post.. LOL )

So why should I even shortlist the Outlaw 1050 with it costing so much to get it to my door and set up in Canada? Yes, again I believe its internal construction is probably first rate esp. compard to others in its price range. Its styling is appealing to me and it probably sounds great once set up for music and movies, but it is still a 3 yr old design missing features that other amps now have. My ( mindless.. LOL ) ranting truly wishes that the 1050 would now have a better price advantage that $499 USD does not offer as well today. If the unit came in under $399USD or better shipped to Canada for say $439USD. it becomes a very attractive hi-po A/V amp for overall sound quality even if its a little old. It would by far outdo in termas of quality any A/V amp I could buy for such price up here in CANUCK LAND and it would making buying into Outlaws (cool) culture and family much more exciting and special.

I know that owning a 1050 would have a more special appeal of near exclusivity esp. up here in Canada and I doubt it would be viewed as just another amp for the masses, but I know ( having owned Denon ) that Denon 2802 ( N.I.B. 2002 model) would sound great too and has everything I want built in for about $900or so Cdn. I really would like to short list the 1050 as I truly think it's cool and the Outlaw concept is very cool, but it is hard for me to justify all I 'll need to spend just to get it and set up the way I want it.

Anyways I just wanted to give this feedback as I am sure all of you who own your 1050s' are generaly happy and please do not take anything as an attack. It is just the pricing for the unit, shipping to Canada, duties and taxes and the other pieces I would need to buy that trouble me.

Now if Outlaw reduced the cost ( yeah good luck buddy.. LOL ) or produced a version for $499USD that had a phono section and a more simple DSP bypass for analogue sources, I would easily put this unit into a strong 1st. place...

But in ending the best combo from Outlaw today if one has the the cash is the 950/7100 set up be it B stock or not, because for $1500 USD ( B stock ) or $1700USD nothing made in the seperates world even comes close to touching what those two give... My problem is that both of those are just WAAAAY out of my price. I drink BEER and not champagne... LOL

Please do not take offence to my post for being long or for any critisms. I have worked in my recent history in the electronics field and I'll say the 1050 is a nice all around hi-po A/V amp, but its lost much its price advantage that I am sure it had in 2000/2001. I'm done with my rant now and I truly wish Outlaw all the best as its nice to see smaller companies succeed in this world against LARGE CONGLOMORATES.

thanks for hearing me out.

#4098 - 05/19/03 06:48 PM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
WHAT. You mean I can't drink beer anymore?
(now I own a 950?!!)

just messing with you

#4099 - 05/19/03 06:58 PM Re: 1050 Out-Dated???
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
You mean the only way to upgrade from a 1050 to a 950/7x0 combo is too stop drinking Champagne and start drinking beer?

I sure hope that isn't the case.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts