Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#40628 - 10/07/02 01:55 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
charlie Offline
Desperado

Hey - do I need to split you two up?!?!?

[Just a joke!]

Seriously, JGB, I'm pretty sure 'bstan' was aiming those comments to 'Davis[d] S' and not you.

I think almost everyone here has tried to be civil and it is a tribute to the lack of moderation and caliber of the participants.

#40629 - 10/07/02 02:13 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Charlie - JGB = Davis S (from work and home), and I apologize for being an a-hole myself, just gettin testy when being told to butt-out/non constructive/and basically ignorant in my own thread.

Just seems if any attempt to "fix"/improve the hiss (outside of Outlaw starting over from scratch) is not an option to a lot of people. I'm just not that scientific, and outside of using my sound meter at set up and periodic checks, I just listen. Maybe I'm deaf, saw well over 100 Grateful Dead concerts over 15 years, probably affected my hearing.

I'am happy to report that MY fixes have worked in MY system. Spent the weekend with gains lowered/PS Audio Juice Bar new to my set-up, and am very pleased with the result.

Hiss at normal listening levels (-15 to -30) is pretty much now ear to tweeter, and at +10 I'd say its within a foot/probably less. CC still hisses the most, although not even sure if thats accurate as CC tweeter is at stand up ear level. From my couch, no hiss is heard at all.

I guess I should just leave this thread now and let any and all naysayers gobble it all up:>

#40630 - 10/07/02 02:38 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
charlie Offline
Desperado

I hate it when that happens

Personally I think as long as it stays civil there is always potential for constructive discussion. If everyone always agreed nothing would get resolved.

#40631 - 10/07/02 03:19 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

As I re-read the title of my thread, I realized that maybe the term "thingy" conveyed to some that I felt this hiss issue is a non-issue, overblown, etc.

Let me just say that this was not my objective, and I do realize the 950 hiss exists, and in some systems is an big issue. It was for me, I'm on my third 950, and lowering the gains on the first 2, would not have reduced their hiss enough. My third 950 arrived with much lower hiss, and my gain reduction seems to have solved it.

Titles kinda like that e-mail post hittin send, doh, did I really say that to him??

#40632 - 10/07/02 03:44 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
charlie Offline
Desperado

Were either of your other two units 'red dot' units?

#40633 - 10/07/02 04:03 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

No - first was my original in May. #2 was a late June unit, which I believe was prior to the stoppage. #1 and #2 had no difference in the amount of hiss. #3 is red-dot unit.

#40634 - 10/07/02 04:26 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Like you, I've cycled through a few 950's. While there were hiss differences, they sure were subtle with mine. My current 950, with the red dot, does not hiss much differently than the 950's I had before. That's my experience, for what it's worth.

Soundhound measured the noise in my red dot, and says it is much noiser (hissier) than his red dot 950.

There seem to be variations, in the red dots. Mine sounds great, despite the hiss.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 07, 2002).]

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts