Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#40618 - 10/06/02 10:17 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
"I may be out of line, but David S your remarks and attitude are not constructive"

Your statement is BS/my atitude is fine and my intent was an attempt to be most construtive. AGAIN, there are several other posts for you and others who have an ax/a problem/ or just tend to be a pain in the ass most of your time, so go over there and post your dribble. My focus is on whats RIGHT on the unit, yours is not. Now go away cause you really have pissed me off!!

#40619 - 10/06/02 10:23 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

"but you have to realize that when we start claiming the 950 can beat amps more than 3x its price it must be expected to be treated like a amp that is woth $3000 and not $899. If I was at a dealer showing me a $3000 amp hissed like mine I would think he was crazy."

Dude, you sound so gullable. 1) do you believe everthing you read, or do you EVEN attempt to find out for yourself. 2) take a course in Marketing at the local JC, maybe you can learn something, and freeking most importantly 3) re-read my FIRST post, do a freeking search yourself, and learn that these so called high-end 3,000+ freeking pieces also have the potential to hiss. Read, you can read cant you. Damn, I'm glad the Raiders kicked the crap out of the Bills today, or I might have come off as pissed here:>

#40620 - 10/06/02 10:58 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

"This is serious, otherwise the 950 will just be $899 pre-amp, which most guys like myself would not have even entertained looking at."

I've gotta extra $50 that says "most guys" would entertain looking at the 950.

#40621 - 10/06/02 11:38 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
sh: when i was young and my tech pulled out his rta and spl meters, i chided him. i too, claimed that it only mattered that it sound good to my ears and no meter could better that.

i have since apologized to him (he now owns a rather large light and sound company). they are great tools, and necessary to cut to the quick and can also find some little thing your ear just can't point to.

having a go-to guy who has the right tools and knows how to use them is is a valuable thing...in any profession. it allows guys like me to speak our opinions with some authority. some times you have to fly in the face of theory and numbers, but most times, math don't lie.

i'm glad you're available here.

#40622 - 10/07/02 12:56 AM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
DavidS: Re. Whistle...

I've got something that isn't really a whistle but more of a "motorboat" sound that starts at a high frequency ahd ramps down, eventually sounding like a wind storm. Not really hiss, and louder than most people say their hiss is. It only happens in digital mode and although I can reproduce it, I haven't found the right procedure yet (and have yet to spend a lot of time on it). It happens when I'm in a digital mode and either stop DVD playback (HTPC with TheaterTek) or exit the player. If I had to guess at what the sound is I'd say it's the sound of a PLL clock trying to hunt for the incoming signal's recovered clock. I'll have to put a scope on the coax to see if there's a source there or not when it happens.

This problem never happens when I've got an active source so I'm not too worried about it. When I do have a source and the material has silence in it, I do hear a hiss but I have to be 4ft from the speaker to hear it and don't expect *anything* to be any better than this.

The other thing (while I'm at it) is that the digital input is so darned sensitive to other stuff turning on or off in the house. I've got all my audio gear on a dedicated line but I still lose sync (and therefore sound) for a couple of seconds whenever the TV turns on or the air conditioner turns off.

I don't mean to bitch, I'm a happy camper, but there seems to be a few "issues" outstanding.

Cary

#40623 - 10/07/02 01:48 AM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by jcmccorm:

...I still lose sync (and therefore sound) for a couple of seconds whenever the TV turns on or the air conditioner turns off.

Cary, have you measured the AC voltage coming out of your outlets? Sounds like it may be a bit borderline/low, and the 950s power supply might be dropping out of regulation as the voltage dips even more for an instant when the air conditioning etc comes on. I actually have this problem myself, but with my audio workstation, and I lose clock and therefore sync with picture for an instant, but that's enough to screw me up if I'm doing a layback or something. I finally cured the problem by putting a variac in line between the wall outlet and my workstation. I adjust the output of the variac to exactly 120 VAC, and then even when I get a dip from my air conditioner coming on, the output of the variac does not dip enough to cause problems downstream. Generally most electronic equipment is stable down to around 100 VAC, but there are of course variances to this. Computers seems very hardy against power surges or brownouts no doubt due to the autoranging/switching power supplies in some of them. Hope some of this info helps.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 07, 2002).]

#40624 - 10/07/02 09:48 AM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
Soundhound, good call, thanks! I didn't think of low voltage, I was thinking more of a ground level "upset". I will definitely check this tonight. I might even know where I can get a variac just in case. Thanks.

Cary

#40625 - 10/07/02 11:56 AM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Cary & Sounhound:

Thanks for some feedback/and a more positive spin to this thread.

#40626 - 10/07/02 12:37 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
David S,

You said,

Quote:
Dude, you sound so gullable. 1) do you believe everthing you read, or do you EVEN attempt to find out for yourself. 2) take a course in Marketing at the local JC, maybe you can learn something, and freeking most importantly 3) re-read my FIRST post, do a freeking search yourself, and learn that these so called high-end 3,000+ freeking pieces also have the potential to hiss. Read, you can read cant you. Damn, I'm glad the Raiders kicked the crap out of the Bills today, or I might have come off as pissed here:>

I guess you should follow your own advice, because you don't have a clue what is going on with the marketing or manufacturing issues that are causing the hiss issues and nothing you are contributing in this thread is moving things forward. Why don't you butt-out while we try to isolate the problems, your commets are not helpfull at all.

Yes, I have specific experience (VP) with developing, manufacturing and marketing Taiwan products (Ethernet switches) for the US. By the way, manufacturing quality (i.e. parts substitution without authorization) is a big problem in Taiwan manufacturing.

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited October 07, 2002).]

#40627 - 10/07/02 01:37 PM Re: I'm starting to understand this HISS thingy
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Look - I started this thread, not you. Just because I approached this whole hiss thing from another perspective, and NEVER did I say it did not exist, your telling me to butt out. I assure you I will not, and as I have stated several times in MY thread, YOU "butt-out"/use the other thread for your "problems/negatives", and dont be such an a-hole!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts