Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Just thought I would add my two cents.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#40511 - 10/05/02 10:13 AM Re: I've got NO Hiss
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
MG: if you list your setup (in particular what amps and if they have adjustable gain and, if so, what level do you have them set to), it may help.

#40512 - 10/05/02 12:55 PM Re: I've got NO Hiss
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Most audiophiles will shudder in disgust when they hear that I use a guitar amp for my front channel. My amps and speakers are old, although they have been updated. The ESS AMT3 speakers have new drivers and membranes and the Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 Stereo Amp has had the 12 main tubes replaced with 6L6's to provide a more musical sound and less metalic. The Mesa can provide 4 or 8 ohm output, I am using 8 ohm. It is possible to plug just about anything directly into the Mesa bypassing any pre-processing if needed. The volume for each channel of the Mesa is about mid range 6-7 in a range of 0-10. It has a very good sound and the ability to power the power hungry speakers that I use, each of the four speakers have 2 10" woofers, a 6.5 mid, and the Heil air motion tweeter. The trim levels on the 950 are set to +5 or so on each of the fronts. My lack of hiss at any volume may be do to the speakers or possibly to the fact that I cannot get any rear sound out of the 950. Which is a problem. I am going to try another toslink today. I get 7 channel stereo but no DD in the rears. This is all plugged into a Panamax 5300, might make a difference.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited October 05, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#40513 - 10/05/02 03:33 PM Re: I've got NO Hiss
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by MeanGene:
Most audiophiles will shudder in disgust when they hear that I use a guitar amp for my front channel.

Not at all...toobs are good! I've got my LCR speakers running on tubes, the left and right tweeter horns running on a single ended triode 300B. Helps to smooth over some of the somewhat 'agressive' sound of some soundtracks and CDs. I am disappointed to hear however that your Mesa volume controls only go to '10' - my amps go to at least '11' (-;

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 05, 2002).]

#40514 - 10/05/02 05:17 PM Re: I've got NO Hiss
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

What do you think about the rears not getting any DD sound? If I can get 7 channel stereo doesn't that mean that the optical cable is good? I just got the 950 and am still getting it setup, but I think I have got it pretty close. I am using the Panasonic DVD RP62K for the source. I have set the digital output to bitstream. I can hear movies like Star Wars E1 in 7 channel stereo from all speakers, but no sound in the rears in any DD mode. I am getting the feeling that it is the 950. I am also having problems with the remote. I can't get the macros to do anything.

Interesting info on the difference between tube and transistor.

Strategy 400

Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro
Panasonic RP62K
4 ESS AMT3 Rock Monitors (Before Sub's were "Required")
2 15' Sub Wolfers (You never have to much bass)
PanaMax 5300
Sony SU-53XBR200 AV Rack
Luxman 300w For Rears
Phase Linear 400 for Subs (Love those VU Meters)
Mesa/Boogie 400 for Fronts
Bass Management (Take the pictures off the walls)

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited October 05, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#40515 - 10/05/02 06:05 PM Re: I've got NO Hiss
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by MeanGene:
What do you think about the rears not getting any DD sound?

What the hell 'ya doing messing with the 950 when it's a beautiful day in SoCal and you have those Nortons calling you from the garage???

By 7 stereo, do you mean the synthesized 7 channel from a 2 channel stereo source? Do you get the test pink noise in all your speakers? You should get something from the rear (I'm assuming you have 7.1 with two side surrounds and two seperate back surrounds) in the Dolby EX mode. Try playing the helicopter-flying-into-building-and-crash-burn scene from "Matrix" as it has a lot of back surround, even though it's not specifically EX encoded. Also "Gladiator" has some good back surround stuff during the scene when Russel Crowe dreams that he is dying, just before he wakes up in the wagon. Also, try setting the bitstream preference in the 950 for "auto", and see if that helps.

No, forget all I said - STRAP THAT BIKE ON AND RIDE!!!!

#40516 - 10/05/02 08:17 PM Re: I've got NO Hiss
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

I found the problem, my mistake. I only have four speakers not six(not including center and sub)or 5.2 (2 subs). I had the rear speakers pluged into the "Surround Back" not the right and left surround. The 950 auto sensed the 5.1 from the DVD and sent in to the proper channels excluding the back surrounds. The pink noise went to all channels which made it seem like everything was OK. Live and learn.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#40517 - 10/05/02 11:45 PM Re: I've got NO Hiss
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
MG:

i am seriously still ROARING LAUGHING since i read your post this afternoon!!!!!!!!!

"bass management (take the pictures off the wall)"

MAN, that is FUNNY!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts