Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4019 - 04/22/03 01:40 PM THX OPTIMODE
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
I have never put attention to the THX OPTIMODE however I decided ti give it a try!Well my center channel was of by 3 db's,my surrounds(left,right and back)were off by another 3 db's plus my subwoofer was very hot 5 db's! So should I re-adjust my system? I may also add that the Monster's Inc. sounded awsome after the adjustments.Any comments!

#4020 - 04/22/03 02:04 PM Re: THX OPTIMODE
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I believe that the "Optimode" main menu specifically states that the audio tests are just for making sure your speakers are connected properly and not for setting levels. Also, I had also heard that the "Optimode" video tests were more movie specific. Other than that, I do like the phase tests that it offers.

#4021 - 04/22/03 02:08 PM Re: THX OPTIMODE
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Like Jason J, I remember reading that the THX Optimode tests were developed for the movie they are included with, not as a single universal calibration tool. I don't know how much deviation there is between different Optimodes.

The best bet for calibration is to go with AVIA or Video Essentials (AVIA's more accessible these days, since VE's been out of print for a year or two now and Digital Video Essentials is still in development). Ideally, AVIA and Optimode would not differ much, but I don't know if that's the case in reality. Also, some people intentionally run their subs hot by several dB.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts