Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#40070 - 09/12/02 01:15 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
...which is pretty much what I did. I used the test tones with the volume set at 00dB and attempted to set all of the speakers to around 75dB. I ended up pulling all of the channels up at least a dB or two from their previous settings. Haven't noticed any difference in volume level since (and since I only occassionally get at or above -10dB anyway, I wasn't much worried about it to begin with).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#40071 - 09/12/02 04:02 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Would that increase the volume from analog stereo bypass, as well as the digital modes?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited September 12, 2002).]

#40072 - 09/13/02 05:45 AM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

When stereo bypass is engaged ... hiss can be heard. The hiss comes from the center channel speaker too. When a digital mode is subsequently engaged (and stereo bypass disengaged), the hiss does not go away, it stays the same.

While my 950 generates a hiss in the center and front speakers, it doesn't generate a hiss as far as I can tell, in the surround speakers.

#40073 - 09/13/02 09:05 AM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
werner52 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND USA
Got the 950 yesterday afternoon. Will post opinion later.

#40074 - 09/19/02 07:16 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Will Offline
Desperado

I wrote a while back, on Sept 6:
Quote:

Got my replacement this evening. I think the Outlaws are nice to let us compare our original 950 to the new red-dot 950. In my case, they are allowing me to compare those two and also an intermediate unit they sent in mid June. I have to return two (two of the three) very soon, so I'm frantically comparing all three. There's the original 950 (circa early May), and the intermediate hiss-fixed 950 (circa mid June), and lastly the red-dot hiss-fixed 950 (from today, early September).

My initial impression is the original 950 and the red-dot 950 sound similar. The red-dot 950 won't crank as loud. But the intermediate 950 from mid June sounds different (less harsh).

I originally thought the hiss level with the red dot 950 might have meant I had a defective one, but Outlaw swapped it for a new red dot and the hiss sounds about the same.

Here are the differences I hear in the sound between the original 950, the mid June fix, and the red dot version. In terms of hiss, the red dot version hisses more than the mid-June version. The red dot hisses about the same as the original 950, but the hiss frequency (in kHz) seems to be a different hiss frequency. In terms of dynamics and sound depth between the 3 units, there are probably differences. But the differences are real subtle. There are a few functional differences (such as with the OSD and the volume level) between the original and rd 950 that have been well documented elsewhere.

For those who may have wondered what I decided: well, I kept the red dot and sent the other two back to Outlaw. If it was based on sound alone I probably would have kept the mid-June intermediate fix version, but the sound differences are minor: they all sound more alike than different. I didn't want to keep the mid-June unit because it was probably a one-of-a-kind design.

I kept the red dot since it is newer and may have newer processing code and as Merc and others have said, it may have a higher resale value. The last point is probably moot in my case since I usually keep components a very very long time and I'm not planning on selling my 950 anytime soon. I want to say, again, that the Outlaws are fantastic people for allowing all owners of the original 950 to compare their old 950 to the red dot 950 version in their home, and to decide for themselves which 950 to keep.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited September 19, 2002).]

#40075 - 09/19/02 07:44 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Will,

I too got my red-dot replacement unit but not for a hissing issue. It was a replacement for a bass issue I had with 2 channel stereo, remember? The red dot unit sounded much better in stereo than my first unit although the hiss was much louder. I could hear it from my sitting position around 10 ft away. I got another replacement red dot unit yesterday but I havent had the chance to test it out since I got home late. But basing from your post, I hope its not gonna be the same hiss because I will have a big dillema. I will let you know what i find out when I do the swap. I am planning to test it thoroughly this weekend. I returned the first red dot unit so I will compare this one with my first unit.

Ricky

#40076 - 09/20/02 11:23 AM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
There could also be external influences in your system causing hiss and/or hum... such as ground loops or noisy AC.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#40077 - 09/20/02 07:01 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Well, just to get one "hiss-free" post in here.

I don't have a hiss. My red dot 950 sounds very good and actually is a warmer (in a positive way) sound than my original unit. I would think that the folks who were "iffy" on the 950 as a music-only pre/pro would be happier with the timbral qualities of the current 950 than with the original 950. (And my two-channel standard of evaluation is with classical orchestra on vinyl in Bypass mode -- along with CD content, too, of course.)

Not to undermine or denigrate or second-guess the "hissues" that other people are raising here, but I think that some listeners' Outlaw Hiss Hunt may be taking on the dimensions of the Salem Witch Hunt (with similar credibility.)

[This message has been edited by bobliinds (edited September 20, 2002).]

#40078 - 09/20/02 07:24 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
mojoman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Bob, my experience is just the same. NO hiss here (or maybe hear) at all. One of my biggest concerns with getting the 950 was it's two channel bypass capabilities. I've been a two channel guy for a long time and this is my first venture into HT surround sound. The 950 replaces a heavily modified Apt Holman preamp and I was concerned that it wouldn't compete for two channel music. My fears have been put to rest after a few days with the 950. In two channel mode it is better than the Apt it replaces and movies are just fantastic now.

#40079 - 09/20/02 07:28 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
mojoman, Do you prefer stereo, 5 stereo, or something else like PLII (M)?
DmC

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM