Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#40050 - 09/07/02 09:42 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Isn't it ironic that in the era of digital, many units fall flat on the one spec where digital is supposed to be superior to analog: noise level.

Yes, there is a certain irony. However, even those units that are "falling flat" (which I take to mean: not achieving their specified S/N) generally have sound to noise ratios superior to what was common with analog. (Which, of course, does not change one iota my enthusiasm for vinyl as a high-res sound source.)

#40051 - 09/07/02 10:59 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by bobliinds:
(Which, of course, does not change one iota my enthusiasm for vinyl as a high-res sound source.)

I'll wholeheartedly second that one! I also like open-reel tape, which can sound really spectacular if done right. Some open reel mastering machines which run at 30 i.p.s, and use 1/2" or 1" wide tape and two tracks can reach almost digital levels of S/N ratio. But don't try this at home.

#40052 - 09/08/02 02:25 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

Will: any changes, sonic or otherwise, with the analog bypasses (2 channel and 5.1)? Is the BM still always on in these inputs?

I didn't get a chance to check because in analog-bypass, my new red-dot 950 has the same hiss as my original 950, in *my* system.

The hiss is audible from over a foot away, but not from my listening position, which is much farther away. My red-dot 950 hisses more than the mid-June "intermediate hiss fix" 950. Scott and I spoke Friday. He says the red-dot 950 should not hiss as much as the original 950 does. He also said the red-dot 950 should not hiss that much more than the mid-June 950 does. On Friday, I shipped my hissy red-dot 950 to Outlaw. Outlaw is shipping another red-dot 950 to me. Outlaw customer service is great after the sale! It looks like it may be a simple quality control problem, and Outlaw will take care of it.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited September 09, 2002).]

#40053 - 09/10/02 06:01 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
OK, I finally hooked up and played around with my red dot 950 and my opinion of the new 950 is positive.

First, the hiss has been completely eliminated with a digital source, even with my ear to the speaker at full volume. In analog it is still there when completely cranked to max volume (which isn't a realistic test) but has been cut down by 75%. At normal listening levels it does not appear to be present at all.

Second, I am not sure if this is imagined or not, but it appears to sound better. Maybe a little bit more rich or smooth. I only a/b'ed twice since switching them in and out was a major hassle (but I had to know for my own peace of mind) so I didn't get really in depth, but it did sound better to me.

Lastly, it does appear that it is a quieter unit. After calibration I now listen to the dish around the low to mid 20's while with my previous one I listened around the high 20's to low 30's. Also, I am thrilled they decided to give us an option of zero seconds (or disabling) for the OSD but they should have sacrificed the 30 second OSD and not the 3 second OSD. I mean really, who uses the 30 second OSD? Really slow readers I would assume.

Overall it was worth the hassle of unhooking and rehooking everything up and I am very pleased with my new "RD" unit. Thanks for going through all the trouble Scott & Co. I really appreciate it.

#40054 - 09/10/02 06:14 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Congratulations! On my red-dot 950 (probably a defective unit) the hiss was still there in stereo bypass. There was even hiss in the center channel, when the 950 was in stereo bypass, which surprised me.

#40055 - 09/10/02 08:59 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
"On my red-dot 950 (probably a defective unit) the hiss was still there in stereo bypass. There was even hiss in the center channel, when the 950 was in stereo bypass, which surprised me."

Will - I also still get hiss in stereo bypass, but it seems to have been reduced from my original unit (I need to listen tonight post 10:00 or 11:00pm, as my house is really quiet by then).

On analog inputs in non-bypass (stereo, PL II-Music) modes, hiss is "louder" than in bypass, but still seems lower than original.

Interesting thing is hiss from surrounds when listening to 2 channel (bypass/or no bypass) seems to have completely disappeared.

Will this comment "There was even hiss in the center channel, when the 950 was in stereo bypass, which surprised me."

My replacement also does this. 2 observations, 1)not volume dependent at all - the hiss from my center is the same at -80 as it is at +10 on all analog sources, and 2) this center channel hiss is lower than from my original, which was volume dependent.

As this suprised you Will, is your expectation that CC would be dead silent when your in a 2 channel/bypass mode? Makes sense, yet as my hiss is not volume dependent, seems like mine would always be there.

All digital inputs, like before, are close to dead silent/never were an issue for me.

#40056 - 09/10/02 09:07 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Scott Offline
Desperado

There is a very good chance that the hiss you are hearing in the center channel is related to the amplifier and not the 950. Try removing the pre-amp connection at the center channel amp input. If the hiss is still present, it's part of the noise floor of the amp.

#40057 - 09/10/02 10:05 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Will do Scott. Your there too late this evening:>

#40058 - 09/10/02 11:13 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Scott - with CC unhooked from 950, hiss still present, but at a very very low level. Hooked the CC back to 950 and hiss does increase. Appears both are culprits in my system.

As I said before, it does appear/sound like the hiss level in my replacement is lower than in my first unit. Its gone from my surrounds. I'll play around with the gains on my Parasound amp to see if I can lower some more. Keep you posted and thanks.

#40059 - 09/10/02 11:15 PM Re: got the "improved" 950 today
helgen Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Veradale, WA
I've had the "RD" unit for a week and have these observations:
1. The hiss in bypass mode is dramatically reduced.
2. The harshness has been reduced.
3. The treble has more resolution.
4. The midrange sounds cleaner.
5. The bass has more slam.
6. The background seems more quiet.
7. Overall the sound is more dynamic, articulate and natural.
The improvement is apparent on all material. Way to go Outlaws. This is a killer unit!

------------------
Helge Nylund

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM