Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#39989 - 09/17/02 10:40 AM Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
Hi:

Has anyone tried the REC OUT for tape using any source other than CD? I can get output from other sources on the VCR REC OUT, but tape only works when I select CD as the source.

Thank you.

#39990 - 09/17/02 10:53 AM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't think I've tried the tape record out with any sources at all. I'll try to check it out tonight.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#39991 - 09/17/02 11:14 AM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
jimr: did you selecting the playback mode as stereo for those other sources? I don't believe that the 950 will sum a multichannel playback mode down to 2 channel for the rec out, so you may need to playback your source in stereo mode in order to get output? Try it and see?
merc\'s primary system

#39992 - 09/17/02 11:34 AM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

I need to clarify, that I have a Minidisc hooked up to the VCR REC OUT. I can see on the REC Level meter that the MD is getting audio when I select Tuner for example, but the tape deck does not. If I select CD then I get both output from both Tape and VCR Rec Out.

#39993 - 09/18/02 08:22 AM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
jimr, you may want to give Outlaw a call to see what's up with the tape out on your unit. I just hooked up a PC speaker to my tape out and ran through several sources (CD in stereo mode with a digital input, tuner, video3 in PLII with an analog input) and got the output from all three successfully. It may be a fault in your unit, or something more obscure with the settings than I have heard about. Either way, they'll get you fixed up.

By the way, did anybody else with a red dot 950 notice the change in the way the tuner presets work as compared to the way they did before? Several people complained about it when the 950 first started shipping -- to go to a preset, you had to enter the preset number with the keypad. You couldn't just flip through the presets. The manual still indicates this, but you can use the "<" and ">" buttons on the remote to scroll through the preset list now.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#39994 - 09/18/02 10:30 AM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, as usual, thank you for your effort. I have already started an Email dialog with Scott. Hope I will be able to get it working without having to send it back.

#39995 - 09/20/02 10:45 AM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Just an update to this issue. I am copying the Email I sent to Scott yesterday on the subject. Can anyone try to see if their untis also behaves in the same way? Gonk's tests all had analog audio inputs, I think.

Hi Scott:

I think I narrowed down the problem. It appears I cannot tape from sources
which are digital only input with no corresponding analog connection.

My DVD player is connected to Opt. 1 and 5.1 for DVD Audio, it is not
connected to the DVD analog stereo inputs.

Similarly my Minidisc's digital output is connected to Coax 2. Its digital
input is connected to 950's digital output, and its analog line in is
connected to VCR audio out jacks of the 950. The stereo analog output is
not connected.

The tape deck is connected in normal in out fashion to the 950.

My CD player is connected to Coax 1 and the CD analog stereo inputs.

I can record from CD and Tuner to both my Minidisc and Tape. I cannot
record anything from DVD player, and I cannot record from the Minidisc to
tape. The issue I initially raised of not being able to tape from the Tuner
was related to the tape deck's REC Level being set too low. Once I bumped
up the level, I can record from the Tuner as well.

The bottom line is there is no signal on Tape REC Out and VCR audio out for
pure digital inputs which do not have a corresponding analog inputs. Please
advise.

Thank you.

#39996 - 09/20/02 04:15 PM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I thought that it did say in the manual that you couldn't do analog recording of digital inputs?

So for recording:

analog to analog: OK
digital to digital: OK
analog to digital: nope
digital to analog: nope

So get an analog signal for recording for your DVD player, you'd *have* to have the DVD players L + R analog outs input to the 950.

That's how my Sony works too.

Would that explain it?

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#39997 - 09/20/02 07:41 PM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Scott also confirms that analog is needed. In my quick perusal of the manual, I didn't run across the note about analog to analog, digital to digital taping. Anyway, good to know my unit is in good working order. Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.

#39998 - 09/21/02 03:38 AM Re: Tape REC OUT does not output any source except CD
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
jr- You might be right, it might not be in the manual. (That's what my old brain defaulted to.) May have been a question about that here sometime back...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts