Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39956 - 09/16/02 04:15 PM Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
4HT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am able to get signal to the sub only in DD, DTS and Stereo 5 modes. I have tried different sources (SAT, CD, VCR) and tried changing different parameters in PLII with no success. I also tried changing the crossovers with same results. I have my Sub set to ON in the setup menu, Fronts to Large, Center to Large and Surrounds to Small. What am I doing wrong?

Another question. Everybody keeps referring to the new 950s as the Red-Dot version. Where the heck is the Red-Dot located? I can't seem to find it on mine.

#39957 - 09/16/02 04:26 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You may not be getting any low-frequency information for the surrounds from PLII. With the mains and center set to large, the bass from those channels will not be crossed over to the sub (the crossover settings for those channels is ignored, basically). To check, just switch your center or mains to small and try again.

I haven't looked to see if mine has a red dot, but the e-mail newsletter said it would be on the label -- I'd check near the serial number on the back (top right corner of the back).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#39958 - 09/16/02 07:39 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
4HT:

You might consider changing your fronts to small and experimenting with crossover settings. I think you'll probably get better performance out of both your sub and your fronts/center.

I think the red dot is just for those of us who got refitted 950's after trading in our original units. It identifies the factory refitted units. If you have just received your first 950, you may not have a dot. (Someone else can correct me if I'm off-base here.)

#39959 - 09/17/02 03:26 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Remember that in DPL and DPL-II, most of what goes to the surrounds is ambience information. This isn't usually bass-heavy. You may be getting a small amount of bass to your sub, but you'll probably not notice it.

If your fronts are truly full-range, then this should not be a problem for you; you're hearing the full signal as it was intended. If you're lacking bass, then your fronts aren't really full-range and as gonk and Bob have mentioned, they should be set to small. Center, also.

With true full-range speakers, the only bass you'll really have going to your sub would be LFE stuff from DVDs. Two channel music, of course, lacks LFE.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39960 - 09/17/02 05:08 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
4HT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the responses. When Center and Fronts are set to small, the sub is getting singal. But, I had them as Large with my Onkyo and HK receivers and both were sending info to the SUB in all modes (except Pure Audio mode on Onkyo 700).

I am ok with setting my mains and center to small, but, kind of feels odd as I have full range speakers for my fronts (Magnepan 1.6QR) and am using the builin speakers in my tosh 65h82 as center.

I double checked my receiver and there was no red-dot. I am not one of those receiving the refurbished 950s and that might explain that.

Thanks,
-4HT

#39961 - 09/17/02 09:14 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

I have full range speakers for my fronts (Magnepan 1.6QR) and am using the speakers in my tosh 65h82 as center

Since so much sound comes from the center speaker, you may want to replace yours with a center speaker that can better hold its own more with your full range Magnepans. The default surround mode for stereo DPL II-C (like DTS NEO:6-C) steers an awful lot of the sound to the center channel. DPL II-M (and DTS NEO:6-M) on the other hand, steer less to the center and more sound to the mains instead.

Enjoy!

#39962 - 09/18/02 06:09 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

What are the frequency range specs on your speakers?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39963 - 09/18/02 06:21 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by 4HT:

I am ok with setting my mains and center to small, but, kind of feels odd as I have full range speakers for my fronts (Magnepan 1.6QR) and am using the builin speakers in my tosh 65h82 as center.

-4HT

I have had several sets of Maggies in the past, and I wouldn't call any of them full-range, especially in HT applications. They will sound much better if you cross them as small, and the xover at least 80, or higher.
Mike

#39964 - 09/18/02 07:48 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
According to http://www.magnepan.com/1-800-474-1646/r-mg16.html
the specs for the Magneplanar MG1.6QR are
Quote:

Frequency Response: 40 Hz - 22 kHz ± 3 dB

Power Requirements: 100 watts RMS (8 ohms), normal; 250 watts RIMS (8 ohms), maximum

Sensitivity: 86 c1B (2.83 W500 Hz/1 M)

Impedance: 4 ohms

Crossover: Acoustical, 600 Hz, Low-pass (quasi) 12
dB/octave, high-pass 6 dB/octave

#39965 - 09/19/02 04:18 PM Re: Help! No signal to Sub in PLII/Neo6/Stereo modes
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Most people wouldn't really call those full-range. They're close, but they'd still benefit from a sub. I'd think you'd want to set them to small with a 60 or 80 Hz crossover for most cases, including DD and DTS.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts