Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#39932 - 09/17/02 10:56 PM A quick first review
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I have owned a great NAD 7175 for the last 15+ years. After waiting to take the plunge to surround, I decided last fall to get a 950. I waited for the beta testers, then for the first glowing reviews to get onto the waiting list. Then the production stoppages began. In the meantime, I bought a Parasound HCA-855 from a local dealer for a fantastic close-out new-in-box full-warranty price. My wife asked that I get rid of my old monster Klipschs (sniff) so I bought some Klipsch Quintets (please don't laugh, with a great placement they sound fantastic, slightly bright but as detailed as my friend's Def Techs or my buddy's Energys). In exchange for downsizing, I was allowed an SVS 16-46PCi. Trial and error speaker placement and the SVS tamed with a BFD gave me very good sound with my NAD. Today my 950 arrived. Twenty minutes later I am hooked up (just 2 channels until Saturday, at which time I will comment on my home theater experience) and listening to Steely Dan. WOW! My old receiver was not muddy, but this was clearer. CD after CD, all of my much played favorites, each sounded different than before. I listen fairly critically to my music, and where I used to hear a melody with several instruments, now I was hearing each instrument seperately. I always was a little skeptical of the words "depth", "soundstage" and "detail" relating to stereo reproduction. I always heard all of these on my system and never really thought I would notice anything for the better (worse I could see, just compare my NAD to a boombox). I now understand what others describe using those 3 words! I have worked in radio as a dj, I have installed over 100 car stereos and generally been a budget 2-channel enthusiast for most of my life. I am incredibly impressed with how much better the Outlaw-Parasound combo sounds than any other system I have owned or listened to. I cannot yet comment on features or movie surround, but as far as 2-channel is concerned, this thing rocks! One last quick comment...I have NO HISS AT ALL.

#39933 - 09/18/02 12:46 AM Re: A quick first review
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
willscary:

i'm so glad you made the comment about the 3 adjectives, depth, soundstage and detail. it's as though i was reading my own review.

if you don't have an sacd player, borrow one and play james taylor's "hourglass" in multichannel sacd version. i've listened to it 10 times all the way through since hooking up my 950. it will give new meaning to the "3 adjectives"....i promise.

very cool to read your post! i can see the smile on your face.

#39934 - 09/18/02 12:54 PM Re: A quick first review
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Willscary,

I hope you will accept my apology for not getting the composite – S-video conversion tryout done for you. I see that you now will get to ‘see’ for yourself!

We have a crisis going on right now which is keeping me very busy just getting through the days. My 60” LCD is a little nerve racking to move without a 2nd helper; (you can see the screen flexing since the unit is so light and so large if you try to move it by yourself). All I had achieved was trying to round up the desired cables but the timing for the rest, has not been optimal.

If your running any audio out of the JVC through the Outlaw, its amazing how ‘great’ sound, makes the pic more fun and involving isn’t it?

I loved reading your review. When my 950 first arrived, (great out of the box) there were still weeks of escalating satisfaction and enjoyment, since almost every change I made, learning what DSP modes worked best with what, calibrating, playing with crossovers, just scratching the surface of DVD-A. Kept improving the sound.
I know there is a optimum tweak ceiling somewhere, but since I fit and start, with time available for AV right now, -getting to adjust, tweak, play, - I can’t even tell if I’ve hit the max setup yet. The more time I have to play with it the better it gets. (My favorite kind of purchase).

Very happy to see your review, and have fun. Sorry to hear about the monster Klipschs, taps playing in the background. There should be a self-help group “When sound is more important than aesthetics’. I’m a recovery ‘WAF” work in progress myself.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited September 18, 2002).]

#39935 - 09/18/02 05:13 PM Re: A quick first review
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
Lena, no need to apologize. I know how hectic life is. I have been waiting for this day for about 6 months and still have not fished any speaker wire through the walls for the rear surrounds! Not that I procrastinate, but a 3 1/2 and 5 yr old, both in school, sports, and various lessons, plus a demanding job and a wife who works also, leaves little time for this. My personal free time is spent on forums like this learning about things that interest me. Now I will need to buckle down on wiring the last 2 speakers so we can pop some corn, pour some drinks, and watch Toy Story 2 and Shrek the way they should be watched!

#39936 - 09/19/02 04:46 AM Re: A quick first review
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Willscary, Nice review. For a first dabble into surround sound you really got off to a running start with the 950. Never underestimate the power of the Quintets, they are pretty amazing for their size. My friends looked pissed when I hooked up my bedroom quintets outside to a stereo for our get together on the 4th of July but once they heard them play they could not believe the clarity and volume those little suckers can achieve. I just ordered a 2039cs+ today so I will be joining you in that club as well.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts