Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#3991 - 04/30/03 05:18 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I think instead of "overpowering your speakers", I meant to say it was overloading the processing somehow. I don't even know if that's possible but since you say it changes in level with the volume, then that says to me it's an internal processor issue. However, I've listened to plenty of DTS soundtracks with my 1050 and I've never heard a case of static from my speakers. This whole issue says to me it's a problem with the way that disc was encoded. That view seems to be supported by the posts of m-mmeyer and SLL.

Just for my curiosity, what other DTS discs, as mentioned in your original post, have you had this issue with? As with SLL, you really have me pondering.

#3992 - 04/30/03 06:23 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
It is almost like it was overpowering the mic that was recording it, Thats what it sounds like. All the track markers he has in his original post are very intense scenes ie: high reving engines, f1 cars screaming past a grandstand and the like so it is a high freq kind of deal. Like I said I would'nt have called it static but I beleive I am hearing what he has an issue with albeit I think at a lower level.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#3993 - 04/30/03 07:00 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am not insane!!! Thank you m-mmeyer! I have a couple of questions for you. How would you describe the sound? Crackle? And what is your setup (speakers/cables/dvd player, so on)? I wonder if my current setup some how magnifies it, because it is quite loud on my system.

Lina...thank you for pointing out the double feed into the sub with the jumpers...I never caught that and will pull that tonight. The bass on them, while not bad, has been overwhelming at points (not the problem points, just other movies). Maybe that will help rein them in.

Jason J...I have only noticed it on this DTS disc. Sorry if the original post was misleading. When I spoke of another disc, I meant another copy of the same disc. I have listened to probably 3-4 other DTS movies without noticing the problem. Just wonder how many others there are with that will cause this bug in the 1050.

All- Scott just sent me an email. He is still researching this himself. He had problems getting the disc and had to order it.

Thank you all, again.

#3994 - 04/30/03 08:45 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I run my 1050 as a pre amp with 3 NAD amps 1 218thx for front and 2 216thx for the centers and surrounds, 950 watts total. I run all paradigm studio series 60s, cc and 20s. The DVD is a Toshiba 4700 and the cables are a mix of AR and other misc.
Hope that was all the info you wanted.

edit: took out question you had already answered.
------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's

[This message has been edited by m-mmeyer (edited April 30, 2003).]
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#3995 - 05/01/03 02:03 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Ek!! don’t just pull the jumpers (unless your biwired) on these speakers for if I understand correctly then you just wiped out your highs or lows. However, - when I scanned reviews on them, I did see quite a bit of mention of ‘insane bass’ and taming the bass using these mains. I have the opposite problem on the VA’s (some base lovers would consider them light duty) in the bass, but how they handle LF suits me at the moment as long as I’m running the sub during HT duty with them.

M last two sets of speakers did not give me this option to contemplate. I can’t recommend that the following excerpts from CSW 500 owners IS the proper (or safe way) to manage your bass with these mains. We have bass guru’s around here, so if your interested in bi-wiring (if yours are not already) to see what affect it might produce in your listening space. Ask some questions regarding and they can help with their experiences. Since part of the theory for biwiring (I’ve read) regards reducing the tendency for strong bass signals to overwhelm the rest…and since user comments suggest that many 500 owners feel their bass is [very] adequate tiptoeing into overwhelming in some smaller listening spaces, - might be an interesting way to comparison tweak your setup options for these.
Regarding some speakers I’ve seen consensus that bi-wiring doesn’t appear to affect them that much, even when an option. But what I saw in a quick read looked as if the percent who have tried it preferred the 500’s biwired.
I didn’t grasp everything behind it all but appeared as if due to line-levels, inclusion of contour control Vs gain etc, and the strong bass response of these speakers, - I think I’d read up on the best methods, variations of wiring these and give it a go to see, if there is a performance advantage. After (if it was me) I figured out what it all meant.

“I found that there is no gain control for the sub for the recommended bi-wire connection, just a contour control that adjusts a filter for the lower end of the bass. The sub level gain only works for the sub-in input, not the low range speaker wire input, which connects just to the sub amp. I connected a sub cable to both sub-in RCA type jacks from the receiver's sub-out using a Y connector. The speakers cross at 100 HZ and so does my receiver. I set the front speakers to FULL on the receiver so the speakers' high range inputs would see the same signal as with a biwire connection. Now I can adjust the sub gain at both the receiver and the sub-level controls on the speakers”

One guy mentioned in a post and I wondered if this is a variation which is proper. He removed his jumpers and appears wired his receiver L/R inputs into the speakers biwired. then using a Y-connector on the single sub out from his receiver into the sub inputs on the speakers. (not a true bi-wire from what I grasp about it, but he seemed to like the results). I would have to talk to some of the guys around here to see if that would loose/double any part of the signal, be a bad idea, etc.

Hope you know what they are talking about (I don’t without some base beefing up on biwire, which I have not done yet) but sounds like fun (if you like tweaking) to play towards getting the best base response setup on your mains for your listening space. Those that had tried it commented on improved mids/highs additionaly.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited May 01, 2003).]

#3996 - 05/04/03 01:48 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
To: Justlistening

After hearing about your problem regarding DTS playback during Super Speedway I decided to get a copy to see if I have the same problem with my 1050. Plus the DVD is great Demo material And I see what you mean. I hear horrible crackle noises during certain parts of the movie. It seems to happen when there is an extremely loud passages in the movie. It plays fine in Dolby Digital but during DTS there is definately some distortion coming out of the speakers.

#3997 - 05/05/03 09:15 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Jonathan,
Thank you for taking the time and effort to verify this for me. That is good news and bad news. Good news for me, that it is not my system (I spent so much time testing everything), but bad news that the 1050 seems to have a bug.
It is fantastic demo material! It is one disc where there is quite a difference between DD and DTS. Too bad the 1050 can't handle the DTS. I guess we will just have to wait and see what Outlaw comes up with for a solution. I haven't heard from them since the beginning of last week when they told me they were ordering the disc themselves to test it out......
I will keep you all posted on any news I hear from Outlaw.

#3998 - 05/05/03 05:56 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello All,

The issue with the Super Speedway DTS soundtrack is an overly hot surround signal. While it is well known that several DTS tracks are recorded 3-4 dB hot in the surround channels, this coupled with the already aggressive nature of this specific soundtrack is causing an overload of the Zoran processor. Unfortunately, there is no work around for this issue as the surround signal is "out of spec". However, the Dolby Digital track does not exhibit this problem and could be used in substitution.

#3999 - 05/06/03 10:43 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

well...Thank you Scott for your effort and time trying to troubleshoot this issue. While I wish the effort was taken originally to find this information out (it would have been cheaper for everyone), the follow up effort and attention has made up for the original lack in effort. While I am still an Outlaw fan, I can't lie and say I am not slightly disappointed. Although I am very happy to hear that Lina did not see any trace of this issue with the 950, so to me that means that things are moving forward and let's face it...while the 1050 is still a great receiver for the money, it is getting old while the movie audio formats are not.
Overall I am quite pleased with Scott's effort but, I am disappointed that my friend with a HT in a box does not experience any issues with this movie while his audiophile friend (that's me, at least to him I am) has problems with his $$$ system. Oh, well. One thing I do know is that this personal service (the second half of this journey) would not have happened had I bought one of the "big" names (and I would have paid twice as much for the name).
So, even though I am disappointed...Outlaw will continue to be very high on the list when I am shopping for HT equipment.
Thank you everyone for your help!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts