Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3981 - 04/30/03 01:59 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
your joking right?

#3982 - 04/30/03 08:38 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
No not really. We are trying to help you. Just like Outlaw did. I would check all my connections again. But if you dont need any help, then good luck..

#3983 - 04/30/03 09:01 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

HIFI
that was someone else replying, not the person looking for help (me).
Thank you for your help and yes, the speaker connections are correct.

#3984 - 04/30/03 11:02 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
Have you tried new cables?? and is the OHM switch set correctly on the back of receiver?? Also try disconnecting cables one at a time and see if noise goes away.

#3985 - 04/30/03 11:42 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
All are good ideas, HI-FI. From what justListening has posted so far, it sounds like he's been pretty thorough in his testing, but it can't hurt to do a bit of brainstorming.

Along those same lines, do any other 1050 owners out there have access to this disc? It would be useful to know of anybody else with an otherwise well-behaved 1050 could reproduce this. Smart Little Lena gave it a try on a 950 and had no problems, which at least matches justListening's experience with using his player's DTS decoder, but I'd be curious to see if other 1050's are doing it outside of justListening's system...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3986 - 04/30/03 12:30 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Gonk raised a good point here. What's up with this disc? Well, here's a quote from the dvdfile.com review of the audio portion of this release:

Quote:
The original release sported a fine Dolby Digital 5.1 track, but this new disc adds a DTS track. Each mix-down was derived from the multi-channel IMAX theatrical tracks and it's very well done. The surrounds are used very aggressively, from chickens clucking off-camera as Mr. Lyons investigates an old heap of a car, long stored in a chicken coup, to off-camera mechanics working on their cars as our attention is focused on an onscreen principal. As you would expect, there are many audible pans of cars on the track and, as Mario Andretti is reunited at the end of the film with his first track roadster, on the road. EX decoding is splendid, despite the fact that this is not an official EX mix. The viewer is enveloped in sound. Cars passing under a locked down camera, pan perfectly from front to back or back to front while other sounds maintain perfect side imaging. Don't expect deep bass from the engines. Designed to operate optimally at well over ten thousand RPM, these machines scream. But you will experience deep bass as you drive under large structures, such as pedestrian bridges erected over the tracks. I did notice a slight harshness to the sound, most evident in the dialog. Dryly recorded narration usually has the highest fidelity; here, there is a subtle raspiness that interferes with the reproduction. Gilles Ouellet's contemporary score pounds, intended to raise the viewers' excitement during the track scenes, but it was hard to judge its fidelity in the presence of so much exhaust noise. And take note that both tracks seem to be unusually loud. You might want to crank down the gain by four to six dB before you get started, then adjust to a comfortable level.

I carefully compared the DTS and Dolby Digital tracks and in terms of timbre, neither wins. This may be due to the slight raspiness I detected in voices that indicates the presence of low-level distortion products that reduced compression simply won't help. But I did find that the DTS mix was more enveloping, with a better-structured surround field. And the bass did have more of a bite than the Dolby Digital track. I suspect that I was comparing apples and oranges. The DTS track was newly created for this disc.

If this problem is directly related to this disc, well, this may be an answer. These DTS soundtracks may just be overpowering your speakers.

#3987 - 04/30/03 12:32 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I will try when I get home. I use mine for a pre-amp but that shouldn't matter.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#3988 - 04/30/03 01:09 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you Gonk. I had planned on asking that. I guess I assumed that others would try it for me and chime in with their experiences, but I never did ask.

m-mmeyer - Thanks! I can't wait to hear what you come up with.

HIFI - the switch is correct (8) and I have tried different cables. Nothing seems to shake this sound...or even change it.

Jason J - I don't think it is overpowering the speakers, but my understanding could be way off. The static is the same at volume 10 as it is as 40, just gets louder and softer with the volume, but still there and always sounds the same. Here is the stats on the mains...
300 watt Class D subwoofer amplifier built-in
10-inch molded-composite subwoofer and 12-inch passive radiator built-in
6.5-inch molded-composite midbass driver
4-inch molded-composite midrange
1-inch reinforced silk dome tweeters with Neodymium magnets
Speaker level, SUB and L/R link connections
Compatible with any amplifier or receiver rated between 10 and 300 watts

#3989 - 04/30/03 03:45 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
L/R link connections? Moving into to territory I have NOT mucked with but pulling up stats on your 500’s I see these are bi/wire bi/amp capable. (never looked into this and don’t understand it only mucked with single post myself as yet). IS IT POSSIBLE, depending on how your running your powered subs connections on these speakers that something is going on which is not effected by using analogue 5.1 bypass (as I understand this can somewhat effect how LFE is routed…handled).
I am really in territory I don’t understand, but saw something about these speakers highly recommended for bi-wire although in that recommended config you have a ‘contour control’ not a sub gain control Also (a review from a guy who may/ not have known his stuff) about if leaving the terminals jumpered using the interconnect between mains for sub line level sub input in the speaker gets (2) signals? Tending to distort/bloat bass with these models??? Could that heavy base tendency in certain config be exacerbated by DTS LFE heavy handedness in a few choice spots on SS?? Although your descriptive term used (static) implies an ‘electronic’ (dts board) or ‘bad or reversed or shorted’ type situation

Totally lost in the biwire/amp area have not had cause to pay attention to the subject yet.
Any hoooo’s, any possibility if it is NOT the 1050 DTS decoder, (and it may well be) that this area could be creating a problem depending on your current config for powered sub setup on the hotter recorded DTS version of this disc??? Although commonsense tells me if you had a major issue in this area, you’d hear the static more often……and conversely (oh dear it NEVER ends) commonsense tells me if you ONLY have the static on one disc (SS) at certain frequency band (similar sounding audio moments) on the one disc, this could also indicate it IS possible its NOT the decoder or it WOULD exhibit at other times?! Do you have other DTS discs you’ve demoed with no occasions of static??? Don’t recall if you have detailed that fact. If not I’d buy/borrow another couple DTS soundtracks and run them through.

I believe that the fact your static is volume dependent (intensity) yet not volume removable (static still present although quieter at very low dB). Should help Outlaw figure out your issue. I’m a firm believer in the remove everything method (HI-FI suggestion) adding it back one at a time for troubleshooting! I seen long term AV’s post a surprise result using this method when it discloses a cuplprit they had not suspected causing an interaction. For me, this methodology of troubleshooting…..is a flat necessity….as I often don’t have the sense nor seasoning to know WHICH area’s could BE the prime suspects.

Sounds like you have covered quite a few bases in your elimination process already and there might not be that many left to check. It’s incredible how much work some of these track-down affairs become!
Sorry for my inept input but as Gonk states: but it can't hurt to do a bit of brainstorming. At least it’s a time killer to fill the frustrating hours.
PS: thanks! I do like the VA’s rather a lot for the present. Not bad for a retail lined setup.

#3990 - 04/30/03 04:30 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I see what you mean know! I don't know if what I hear I would call static but it is a odd noise. I tried to get my dvd and 1050 to do direct but it was being a pain in the a** so I skipped it. I do think I hear what you hear though.
Had you never mentioned it though I don't know that I would have paid it any attention so perhaps your is a little worse sounding than mine. Any other experiments for me?

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts