Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3961 - 04/18/03 11:18 PM very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Anyone else have horrible static issues during certain parts of DTS movies?
Can anyone help?

About 6-7 weeks ago I shipped my 1050 off to Outlaw to be repaired. I included the following description (at the end of this post) in my orginal email to Outlaw support. I also included a copy of it in the box with the reciever when I shipped it. About 5 weeks passed and I didn't hear anything from Outlaw so I sent them an email. I recieved a timely reply back that they were having trouble reproducing the issue and would like details on how to reproduce the problem at which point I replied back with the full description once again. Another week had passed with no word so I pinged Outlaw again and recieved a timely reply again, this time stating that my "1050 unit has been repaired and is in transit...". I can't tell you how excited I was. Then I got it today and I rushed home to hook up my "repaired", badly missed, 1050. Got everything hooked up, all the speaker levels set and tossed in the dvd to listen to the glorious sound of F1 cars in DTS....
Guess what....NOTHING CHANGED! it is NOT fixed. It's not even better, it's just the same as when I shipped it out.
Now I have wasted my money on shipping the hefty unit all the way across the US and spent the last 2 months without a receiver.
Thanks Outlaw...for wasting my time and money. I have loved this receiver since day one and I brag every moment I get about my 1050. I can not tell you how dissapointed I am now in Outlaw. so, much for the bragging as my friends who I have been braggin to were aware that it was out being repaired and now I get to tell them that Outlaw completely insulted my intelect and wasted my time and money.

Outlaw, please do NOT treat me like a complete idiot and tell me that you fixed something when in fact you probably never even opened the unit up.

You have done an incredible job producing a fabulous sounding unit at an even better price. Please take the time to better your service and I believe you will have something special.

details of my still outstanding issue:

As I explained in my email to Support, this unit is having issues with the DTS format on certain movies. The most recent and most noticeable is during the movie “Super Speedway: The Mach III special edition”. During points of this movie there is loud static coming from the front speakers. It does not last long but is extremely noticeable and causes great concern for my speakers. Here is a short list of some areas of the movie where the static can be heard:
Chapter 2 time = 1:27 – 1:29 (both main speakers)
Chapter 6 time = 11:19 – 11:21 (right main speaker)
Chapter 7 time = 13:09 – 13:12 (both main speakers)
Chapter 11 time = 18:48 – 18:51 (left main speaker)
Chapter 11 time = 19:18 – 19:20 (right main speaker)

I did try various tests to see if it was the speakers, DVD player, connections, or wires and it turned out to be none of these things which leads me to believe that it’s the processor of the DTS failing.
I had my pioneer 45a DVD player hooked up to the 1050 using the coax connection when I first noticed the problem. I tried using a different DVD player that also supports dts connected to the 1050 using an Optical connection and I still noticed the static. Then I tried buying another DVD to make sure it wasn’t the DVD and it was not. I also tried playing both DVDs on a friend’s dts system and there was no static. Also the static does not appear when the movie is played back in Dolby Digital instead of the DTS format.
All of those tests confirmed that it is in fact the 1050 unit failing to process the DTS format correctly.

#3962 - 04/19/03 08:38 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
wrunow Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cape Neddick, Maine
This sounds like you are pretty frustrated, generally, the Outlaw's are well known for their excellent customer service. Your problem could be somewhere else in your system, I would try hooking up your Pioneer 45a through the 5.1 imputs on the 1050 and bypass the dts decoder in the 1050 and see if the problem persists, if it does, it isn't a problem with the dts decoder in the 1050, and if it doesn't, I'd give the Scott a call and see what exactly was done to your unit, Mark

#3963 - 04/19/03 09:58 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am very frustrated.
I can't tell you how happy I am with the 1050 other than this. I don't mean to bash Outlaw, but I am sure you can understand the frustration level.

as for the the suggestion (using the direct 5.1 from the 45a), I did try that, I just forgot to include it in my orginal message. There is NO static when using the DTS decoding in the 45a via the 5.1 direct hookup.
I think the only thing left is the 1050.
maybe someone else has another suggestion?

#3964 - 04/19/03 10:17 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
what do you have your x over switch set to?? try another setting, try different cables??..good luck

[This message has been edited by HI-FI (edited April 19, 2003).]

#3965 - 04/19/03 07:16 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello justListening,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have had to endure during this warranty repair. I would also like to assure you that this issue will be resolved on Monday morning.

However, I feel there are a couple of points worth explanation at this time. Our excellent customer service reputation is far too important to us to simply "not even open the unit up." Quite frankly, that type of policy makes absolutely no sense. While there is certainly no question that you should have been contacted sooner about our inability to reproduce the problem you were experiencing, there was considerable effort made to isolate the issue.

That said, since the issue you were experiencing was intermittent, the repair facility when unable to reproduce this issue would have replaced the processing board for you once a reasonable effort had been made to pinpoint the exact fault. Unfortunately, it has proven an unsuccessful attempt to solve your problem. The above not withstanding we fully intend to right this issue, and hope that you will find our solution acceptable. We will contact you on Monday morning to arrange delivery of a replacement unit.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Scott

#3966 - 04/19/03 08:24 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
baristaman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tacoma, WA USA
That Sirs..............
is what is known as TRUE customer service.
If the problem reoccurs again, even with the new 1050, I do hope that Scott and all of the good people at Outlaw get the apology that they will most certainly deserve.
(somebody had to say it)
Trace

#3967 - 04/19/03 08:58 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
wrunow Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cape Neddick, Maine
I don't think you'll do much better than that with any company I know of, you should be all set, good luck. Mark

#3968 - 04/19/03 11:36 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
This is the reason why I will continue to suggest to all my friends the OUTLAW Brand,Ladies & Gentlemen this is SUPER Service.

#3969 - 04/20/03 01:12 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Jersey, USA
JustListening,
Have you tried playing some other movies that have DTS audio? Perhaps the audio track in that one particular movie is faulty?

I've had no audio problems with my unit so far. Sound reproduction is perfect. I just wish the unit had a little more power hmmmmm maybe it's time to upgrade

#3970 - 04/20/03 12:02 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I just want to add about the outstanding service in my experience recently. My remote decided it didn't want to operate my TV anymore (the TV remote still operated the TV). I tried reprogramming etc.; going through all the instructions in the manual. It still didn't want to operate the TV. Even though everthing else worked fine with the remote. E-mailed Outlaw. They asked me try somethings that I already had tried. But retried anyways, with no luck. My next e-mail got a response saying a new remote was on its way. When I got the new remote I simply packed the old one in the box and sent it back to Outlaw.
Now that's SERVICE!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM