Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3971 - 04/20/03 09:59 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Scott, Thank you for your timely response. I look forward to resolving this issue with you.
As for the rest of the 1050 fans, thank you all for your replies.
I will keep you updated and post my experiences over the coming weeks.
I do appologize if my critisms seemed a little harsh to some, but it was a string of dissapointing contact (or lack of) with Outlaw on this topic that came to head in my post (about two minutes after I found that I was still having the same issue with my 1050).

#3972 - 04/20/03 11:33 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
justListening -- Glad to hear that things are getting sorted out. I know how frustrating it can be when things refuse to get fixed. Definitely let us know it turns out!

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3973 - 04/21/03 02:38 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

An update for anyone who cares:
Mike from Outlaw contacted me today to get my shipping address for the replacement unit. He also stated that they would be sending a prepaid form to ship the malfunctioning unit back with.
Thank you very much Steve and Mike for addressing a frustrated customer with patience and a quick resolution.

I have to admit that this is the kind of customer service that produces life long customers and an incredible amount of "word of mouth" business. I know where I will be going (and sending friends) in the future for all my audio needs.

I will keep you all posted on the final outcome. When all is resolved, you will probably be stumbling across my "thoughts and experience (positive)" on some of the various audio review boards.

#3974 - 04/29/03 09:50 AM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Scott,
Can you send me an email.
I received the new unit yesterday and I am still experiencing the issue....
I am dumbfounded. I have tried everything I can think of to isolate the issue and it all points to the 1050.
-I normally have the 45a dvd player hookup up using the coax. connection.
-I tried a different dvd player with DTS and used the optical connection and the static is still there (eliminate the DVD player and cable from the list of possible causes).
-I tried another copy of the same movie and the static is still there (eliminate the dvd disc from the list of possible causes).
-I tried using the 5.1 analog hookup to use the DTS decoding in the 45a and and bypass the 1050 and the static is NOT there (tells me it is not the speakers or the speaker wires).

All I am left with is the thought that it's the software in the 1050.

Thanks again for the timely response and for baristaman....I do apologize for the "didn't even open the box" comment....This has just been going on for so long now, I can't help but be frustrated.

I just hate to throw up my hands at this point and give up on it. I have been so happy with the unit and I don't want this to leave a bad taste....

#3975 - 04/29/03 01:01 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Is the static still repeatable at the same time/chpt indicators you detailed in your first post?
IF it is……..Cuse me for bizarre free association think tanking. Not having an electronics background I can come up with some probably theoretically impossible interactions.

Real life is stranger than fiction. You could have two bad DTS decoders in a row. But that seems unlikely (although possible). So many 1050’s have been sold that for you to get a repeat performance of a never reported incident makes me want to look wider.

Maybe if SH (music guru) is around, he would understand what I’m trying to state and if it’s even possible.

I played the chapters/times listed in your post (realize I have a 950 and am unfamiliar with the UI on a 1050).
I noticed that you tend to have a distinctive [similar] spooling of the sound of the motor, which is panning into surrounds on each of the sections you detailed. Is it at all possible, that you do have an issue with speaker wire, crossovers, and LFE, which in those particular instances, because the sound is at the particular distinct modulation when decoded at those moments (as the 1050 decodes it). Which shorts/feedbacks only when that frequency is played near that crossover as it is panned into surrounds? Something with the surrounds not handling it sends the static to your mains. The frequency at those moments sounds fairly high but it may be underlain with an LFE kick sent to your sub (or trying to go to a sub if your not running one) at that precise moment from either the surrounds or mains which gives you something like a feedback situation those the speakers when the DTS decoder try’s to split the signal and route that one particular way. DTS particularly has differences noted by listeners in the LFE range (tends to the aggressive over DD). So it occurred to me maybe it hits that ‘level’ in your system which sets off the static when DD does not.

In other words (sound is electricity) that those particular moments doing something (as yet undetermined but similar in each instant) creates a feedback/short through your speaker setup not otherwise severe enough to be apparent in your system, - unless that level of electrons (whatever is sent through your cables/wires at that precise general frequency and intensity near a particular crossover, revels it?

Just to try to ‘eliminate’ and pinpoint. What cables are you using? Could they be prone to that frequency modulation being their only weakness? Although it boggles me you’ve tried coax and optical digital both with a repeat. I notice you appear to indicate you’ve tried the 45 always with the dig coax and the ‘other player’ with the optical. Switch these connections and see if that provides any variation to the occurrence of static.

Take your sub off line. (again not familiar with the 1050) tell it NO/YES in menu. Does it still occur?
One way I’d try this is to literally disconnect your wire to the sub from the 1050 and try the 1050 menu on both YES/NO sub. Leave your sub off-line and try moving crossover points. Just because I AM hearing a pan on those moments you set times for, - into the surrounds, play with suround crossovers extensively. ETC.

Way off base here I’m sure, but sometimes with a [little knowledge] you think of stranger things to try than someone who knows more and feels…no…. there should not be a connection or interaction there.

You have my sympathy, I know Outlaw will continue on till, - beteen the two of you there IS a resolution. Forgive the long ramble and vague contemplation of things which likely have no bearing. But yours is an intriguing mystery!!!

(I would e-mail Outlaw yourself to start. They moderate the forum, but might be otherwise occupied catching up on the forum in fits and starts. An e-mail direct to Cust. Service should be seen today, if sent early enough)

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited April 29, 2003).]

#3976 - 04/29/03 01:49 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Lina for your input/ideas.
You are correct. The points in the dvd that produce this issues are extremely similar in the audio content. It is something about that sound and the dts/1050.
I doubt I got two "bad" dvds as I have played them on a friends dts system and also have played them on my system using the 5.1 analog inputs (bypassing the 1050s processing) and the sound is perfect with no static.
Which brings me to your question on the speaker cables. Since I can play the track via the "direct" 5.1 inputs with no static, I don't believe it is my cables. But for your info., they are 12 gauge monster.
I believe this has to be internal to the 1050, so I will try your ideas of playing with the crossover in combination with turning the sub on/off and see if that affects anything.
I will also try the 45a with an opt. connection although I can't imagine that is it, but I have seen stranger things.

as for contacting outlaw...Scott was right on top of my response this AM, contacted me, and is doing his own research right now.

#3977 - 04/29/03 02:58 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I doubt I got two "bad" dvds as I have played them on a friends dts system and also have played them on my system using the 5.1 analog inputs (bypassing the 1050s processing) and the sound is perfect with no static.

I wouldn't think the DVD’s are 'bad' nor culprits at all. ONLY in the sense that in DTS mode, you could have an entirely different frequency intensity etc of the soundfield vs an alternative decoder (DD) at the same audio moments on the Soundtrack, pushing the soundtrack (and thereby your speakers or wires, or a short) to a level of intensity the DD version just does not (and the decoder in your player) reach, which sets off a weak link elsewhere in your system. Could be the filters/resistors in your players DTS decoder don’t’ ‘allow’ the DTS track to reach the level of intensity the 1050 will?.

I’m still wondering about a sub/crossover or surround interaction, but a very (loosely similar) situation I had, was repeatable with one disc on one song track consistently. Donnie Darko, “Mad World”. DD, (no DTS on this disc). And infrequently I could hear a hint of it beginning at similar sound bit moments on other discs but Donnie Darko would do it absolutely consistently as it was recorded at a pressure/ close to distortion level on that chapter, - my system just could not handle.

At the time I was running Def Tech Cinema Pro 100 speakers drop hung from the ceiling for my FL/FR.
Every time I hit that track at specific moments above a particular dB level. I got the most raucous, speaker blown – type distortion wackiness out of both fronts with the FR being the worst of the two. With the attic like a giant soundbox at its worse buzzing around the base of the speaker mount. I finally traced it to the audio track hitting that particular group of frequencies while at my fairly high (preferred) dB setting for viewing that film, which set up a vibration through the attic combined with pushing these two speakers harder than they could handle. (the speakers were not blown)

I could rid it by simply lowering dB, -way below preference, and it would not occur with countless other high-dB action adv type DVD's.
(so there’s another free assoc. thought …does your static occur on DTS while at ANY dB level or is it volume dependent???)
Even though this situation was easily resolved by reducing volume on “Donnie Darko” (the single constant offending DVD)it irritated the heck out of me that my speaker setup could be challenged by this song on this one DVD, -above a certain SPL, so I went to more capable mains (Vienna Acoustics). The FR Def Tech speaker, (the largest offender), became currently re-cabled as the SR surround with out its positioning being changed, in future staying out of my attic as far as a resonant vibration - and behaves itself beautifully, even when pushed to the same levels, (yet only handling Surround channel information)

Again just rattling on. I’m sure Outlaw will come up with some elimination/testing procedures for you.

12-g Monster on your wire? Is it Monster interconnects also?? When I get frustrated sometimes I open my wallet out of aggravation to check out certain things which occur to me. You might try the highest end Radio Shack interconnect (even a single for cheapness sake) and switch it between your two mains. The sub,surround cable wiring/interconnect/binding posts, I’d also take a long hard look at. Although Monster products have preformed flawlessly for countless consumers, …they just have not, for me.

Will be watching with great curiosity to see what is sorted out! Good Luck, and best!

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited April 29, 2003).]

#3978 - 04/29/03 05:29 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

wow. Lina...I am not sure which part I am more impressed with, but I am impressed. You are in deep...
vienna acoustic...nice. I am jealous.
It seems very db level independent (in fact, when ever I play it now, I turn it down as I worry about my speakers with that static). I will verify that it is present at all levels (even lower) tonight.
I don't think my speakers are being over powered. Now I will open myself up to all sorts of ridicule from people not liking this or that, but let me rattle off all the components involved so you know where I am.
Pioneer 45a (dvd, dvd-audio, sacd)
CSW T500s for my mains
CSW MC500 for my center
CSW S300 for my rears
12 g monster to the mains and center
12 g in-wall (from HD) to the rears
interconnects are all Radio Shack's "highest end"

[This message has been edited by justListening (edited April 29, 2003).]

#3979 - 04/29/03 09:57 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
justListening Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Tried, tried, and tried.
played with the cross over and the sub-woofer and every combination with no diff.
also tried switching some interconnects around...nothing
and I did verify that the static occurs at all db levels. From very low (barely audible) to high db levels. The static level varies with the volume.

#3980 - 04/29/03 11:29 PM Re: very dissapointed in Outlaw's service...Static problem never resolved
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
are you sure you have the speaker connections/wire correct? + to red and - to black??

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 171 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts