Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#39543 - 07/16/02 03:56 PM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
Mike__P Offline
Gunslinger

HT Crazed,

Thanks for the review, I was hoping you got a 1066 into your system so you could compare. It seems we have found many of the same things with the 950. Excelent DD/DTS, average stereo. While I am disappointed that the 1066 is not the solution for both worlds, my wallet is glad. I will just have to contiue to look for a good integrated with HT passthrough for Stereo.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why would anyone with a 950 listen in 2-channel? If you really want to be retro, you might as well listen in mono! The huge improvement in going from mono to stereo is dwarfed by the vast improvement in going to surround sound, even if you're just extracting ambiance with DPL2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I much prefer the image and soundstage Stereo offers over multicahnnel. In my not so humble opinion, multichannel, while good for movies and tv, is terrible for music. I have heard DPL-II as implemented in the 950. It is a definate improvement over prologic, but doesn't touch stereo in imaging.

Regards,

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike__P (edited July 16, 2002).]

#39544 - 07/16/02 04:09 PM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

This board is soo civilized.. Must be the lack of heavy handed moderation that gives us such a sense of goodwill.

Rob - I still believe once again Rotel offered a good value for price in the 1066. If it were the same price as the 950, I probably would have kept it instead since I can live with the 2 channel, and losing some resolution in HT isn't that big a deal for me. Being able to use the savings towards a 2 channel pre tipped the scales for me since I have to be more frugal these days than usual.

Bill - whoops, good catch. My equipment is:

- B&W 804 Matrix for mains with other B&W's for center and surrounds (only using 5.1 config)
- Rotel 985 MKII 5 channel 125 WPC
- Sony DVD/CD/SACD 9000ES (excellent for both music and DVD)
- Interconnects comination of Straight-Wire and Outlaw.
- Speaker cable (can't remember, but it was custom and pricey)
- Sony Wega 36" (also need to save up for projector).

Brian - I think it was Roberts brother with the Lexicon. But IMO for HT without 2 channel music the 950 is just a phenominal deal.

Quote:
Oh my gawd! Who would have thought that Larry and I, in the end, would agree almost totally.

Oh the irony!! Just thinking about all the hard disk space our arguments must be taking up over at HTF.

I've thought about the Sony p9k also, but figured I'd rather put the $500 it would cost into a better 2 channel pre since I don't need all the switching capability (as long as the HT passthrough works as advertised).

I've been considering at the McCormick SPL-2, Aragon stage 1, the Nohr etc. I'll be interested in your verdict on the Musical Fidelity and AI. Since the unit would be on alot even for HT and TV, I'm tending towards solid state though I'm sure I'd prefer the smoother sound of a nice tube rig.

If we could figure out a lower cost high value 2 channel rig, it looks like it could benefit lots of 950 owners. Again the Sony looks like it might be the ticket, but I'm afraid it wouldn't go far enough for 2 channel.

Townhouse - Actually my sources for DVD and CD are the same. And being a well regarded $1500 player, I doubt I have a problem at the source.

I've tried listening to music through DLPII and NEO but for most kinds of music found it very lacking. I like the idea of music utilizing all my speakers - and if I had a Meridian or Lexicon might prefer it. But multichannel music leaves alot to be desired with DLPII or NEO (even after quite a bit of tweaking).

#39545 - 07/16/02 06:26 PM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
chim Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: The Woodlands
Quote:
Originally posted by robertd:
HT crazed:

As a new Rotel owner you won't see any flames from me. Well, except for the fact that you had the chance to actually audition them both, grrrr.

Thanks for the review and I believe you were being objective. Once again, 950 wait-listers, hang in there!

On Rotel's side and since I can't compare the two, all I can say is this. I'm using my brother-in-law's hand me down Klipsch Synergy speakers and Rotel amp with the 1066. He upgraded to Paradigm Ref speakers, SVS Ultra sub and a Lexicon MC-1. Besides the depth in base of his SVS and my Klipsch 15, I can hear no difference (no we haven't done a side by side comparison, I'm sure his would win). He said himself after listening to my system that he wondered if it was was worth it to upgrade. Then again, our room sizes are drastically different.

Room size, difference in ear between people, equipment, everyone will have different opinions. I still wish I could have heard the 950 before I made my choice but I'm quite happy.

Rob

Sorry HT crazed.

Rob, same question. Would you like to comment on your brothers Lexicon vs 950 for strictly HT use?

Brian

#39546 - 07/17/02 01:21 AM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
Townhouse Offline
Gunslinger

The "source" is not some overpriced piece of consumer electronics, it is the original recording! Virtually all equipment reviewers consistently miss the point -- a component in the reproducing chain cannot be evaluated with any credibility unless the test instrument is calibrated against a known standard. The "signal generator" here is the original recording, and unless you know all the production details of the recording and mastering sessions, your test results are not reliable. The microphones alone will add far more coloration than any 950 ever will.

In my experience, well-recorded-and-mastered discs (in all formats) sound very realistic through the 950. Most discs, however, are not produced with quality as the prime directive; the mass market wants them to sound good over your car radio. A master recording that is overly bright (or picked up some harshness in the A-to-D conversion) will sound just that way through the 950. It simply requires judicious use of the tone controls. You don't need to buy a new house just because the tap water is too cold!

There is absolutely no difference in the requirements of a high-quality home "music" vs. "theatre" sound reproduction system. All of my recordings (in all formats) sound more "involving" in 5.1 than in stereo, and even moreso with rear center and height channels. I hope that some day the industry will standardize on an 8.1-channel system (with the primary speakers on the corners of an imaginary cube) so that a virtual sound source can be located anywhere in the 3-dimensional space that surrounds the listener.

By the way, the only reason I waste my time posting here is to try to help the neophytes recognize hype, myth, and nonsense. Those who wish to keep their vacuum tubes and Victrolas are, of course, entitled to do so.

#39547 - 07/17/02 03:08 AM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Sorry dude, but trying to pass yourself off as an audio expert to tell us that PLII or NEO6 offers superior music reproduction isn't going to win you many disciples. If you happen to like it, fine, but there's no need to embarass yourself by assaulting people here that are actually very knowledgable about hi-fi.

[This message has been edited by HT crazed (edited July 17, 2002).]

#39548 - 07/17/02 09:49 AM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Is there anyone who is actually "very knowledgable about hi-fi"? It's such an inexact science...

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39549 - 07/17/02 04:46 PM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
I'm sorry to say that mutichannel reproduction of stereo music may be OK for you, but there are many experienced ears here with more years of experience that will simply say you're inexperienced when you say
Quote:
posted by Townhouse:

All of my recordings (in all formats) sound more "involving" in 5.1 than in stereo . . .

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited July 17, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited July 17, 2002).]

#39550 - 07/17/02 05:19 PM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
mojoman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Townhouse:

By the way, the only reason I waste my time posting here is to try to help the neophytes recognize hype, myth, and nonsense.

Thank you so much, what would we do without your superior knowledge and expertise pointing out all the hype, myth and nonsense. I'm selling all my two channel gear.

#39551 - 07/17/02 07:01 PM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Can I buy it?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39552 - 07/17/02 10:28 PM Re: Outlaw VS Rotel impressions
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Alright,
I didn't like his attitude or most of his information either.
He (Townhouse) did say something with which I compleately agree:
"There is absolutely no difference in the requirements of a high-quality home "music" vs. "theatre" sound reproduction system."
Let me qualify my agreement before I get jumped. The way I interpret this is that a high quality speaker, or sub, or amp is just that. Aside from the processor, good gear is good gear. One equipment design does not favor HT or Musical listening. I said ASIDE FROM THE PROCESSOR!.
I've read some threads stating that 'this sub' or 'that speaker' favors HT or Music. For all of you neophytes out there, that's bull. (Sorry, just liked typing the word). Buy good stuff and it will reproduce each format equally as well. Please don't respond with "But processors are different!" No kidding, I'm referring to every type of gear excepting processors. I know it sounds redundent, but I've been hosed by folks who like to read the first line of a thread and whip off a response.
Until next time,
Mix

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts