Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39365 - 08/31/02 01:15 PM To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
Six Shooter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've been reading several threads where this is being discussed but didn't want to post this in all of them.

I've had my 950 over this summer and have nothing but good things to say about it. I've read about the hiss issue and tried to here it in mine. With the volume turned fairly high, with me standing close to a speaker, I can here a faint hiss....BARELY. Every receiver I have owned has done this, much worse usually. However, no receiver I've owned cost more than $600.

So, do I believe my 950 has the hiss problem? No....but I can't help but wonder if I had more revealing amps, speakers, cables, ect., maybe my 950 COULD have it. Chances are high it doesn't, but I'm not 100% sure. I’m told good 950’s won’t develop this problem, but how can I be so sure.

In the July newsletter Outlaw stated the following:

"We consider the "ear in the tweeter" method an unrealistic test, and if that is what is causing a problem for you, we are unable to help. If you don't hear the problem under reasonable listening conditions, as is the case for the vast majority of Model 950 owners, you are fine. There is no need to do anything other than enjoy the sound of great movies and music. This is NOT a problem that appears over time; so don't worry about it appearing later if you don't hear it at first. Of course, we plan to be around for a very long time, so if something does happen later on, the Outlaws will be there to help."

Going by this, my unit is fine(I think).

Overall, I'm very happy with my current 950. However, there was/is a problem with something in the first production round, no matter how minor and no matter how few units exhibited it. Otherwise, why would they have stopped production and changed anything?

I'm not trying to be harsh, and I would/will purchase future products from Outlaw as they have treated me EXTREMELY well in the past.

Like I said, I'm happy with my 950, but have lost a bit of confidence in it. If I decided I wanted it replaced/fixed, I guess I'm S.O.L. because my 950 is relatively hiss free from what I can tell.

If I would want something done it would be for one reason, piece of mind.

Six

#39366 - 08/31/02 02:16 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I agree with you. I have been critical of the wait we have endured, the delays, the vague newsletters, etc. If I was in your shoes (I am still in the waitlist), I would get the replacement unit or have my own refurbished. Then again, I must also commend the Outlaws (as I have been doing on another forum) for the fantastic way they are offering to help the current 950 owners. Their offer to fix or replace with a refurb and reset the warranty (while paying all shipping) is first rate. This is outstanding customer service.

#39367 - 08/31/02 02:38 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
Six Shooter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Will,
I've read several times from people stating the replace/repair offer. From what I can tell though, they are only agreeing to replace/repair those units affected. Since my unit seems fine, I guess I'm not elegible for this replace/repair option.

Did I miss something from a later newsletter?

Six

#39368 - 08/31/02 02:44 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I just re-read the letter (1st post on "problem solved" thread). They will accomodate all who are registered as having the hiss problem. I guess you need to call and ask.

#39369 - 09/03/02 04:38 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
If I were you, I would not send it back. If you can't hear the problem, then I think that there is no problem.

If it is environment dependent, which we don't know for sure but strongly suspect, then it may indeed develop later if you change speakers, wires, rooms, houses, etc. But your warranty is still for five years and if it hisses in three you're covered. If it's still never hissed after five years, I can't imagine having a problem after that. It will probably be obsolete anyway.

Remember, also, that the replacement unit you'll get will be a refurb. I know that the one in my rack is technically used, too, but I'd much prefer to have a unit that's "used by me" as opposed to "used by someone else." They will refurb your own unit for you if you prefer, but that involves sending yours back first, and being without while they work on it (and while it makes its way across the U.S. twice). I'm not willing to do that, after being without it for so long.

There's also nothing to say that the improvement will make it better, and not worse. That's another chance I'm not willing to take.

Lastly, I don't think the original problem is as serious as most people made it out to be. I certainly don't think it was serious enough to warrant a halt in production. I thought, and still think, that the Outlaws really jumped the gun on that one and lost a lot of sales over it. They're perfectionists; I'm sure that one of the reasons the original was so late was that they were twiddling with it.

The only upside I see to sending mine back at this point is a three or four month extension of my warranty. But, it's just not worth it. I doubt I'll be using it five years from now anyway, except perhaps as a rec room unit.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39370 - 09/03/02 05:04 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
Remember, also, that the replacement unit you'll get will be a refurb. I know that the one in my rack is technically used, too, but I'd much prefer to have a unit that's "used by me" as opposed to "used by someone else."
Matthew: Are you sure about this? My understanding is that because Outlaw is such an honest company, they are referring to any units which are internal "B" stock as refurbished. My guess is that most of these units have never left Outlaw hands...?

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#39371 - 09/03/02 10:56 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
Six Shooter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply, Matthew.

I share many of your thoughts also. My 950 sounds GREAT in my system compared to anything else I've had in it. Before my 950, my HT was graced with a 1050. At the time the 1050 was the most expensive receiver I had ever owned. I used it strictly as a prepro with a couple of amps I previously got a fantastic deal on.

After I installed the 950, I was amazed how much better my system sounded. It was quite a bit bigger jump in sound quality than I imagined. I still think the 950 sounds fantastic, regardless of this hiss issue.

What don't I like? I don't like the fact that customers getting their fixed/refurb units and new units are going to have 950’s improved (at least from a design perspective) than mine, even though we current owners paid for the exact same thing. I don't like the fact these customers will have a piece of mind regarding their 950's that we who got the first batch don't have, even though we paid for the exact same thing.

I could keep going but think everyone can get the picture. I'm not saying I don't think new owners and those who get fixed units shouldn't receive these 950's since these are, from a design perspective, better than mine. Rather, I just would like the option to get the same improved 950 they will get. Since my unit thus far doesn’t exhibit any symptoms, I don't have this option, even though there is some sort of design flaw in my 950. This, for me, does rise a bit of concern.

Again, I'm very happy with my 950 and I'm not sure I would send it back if I could. It would be nice, however, to have the option.

I do plan on upgrading speakers and cables in the not too distant future, so I'm just left to hope everything is OK like I'm told.

Six

#39372 - 09/03/02 11:05 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

Matthew Hill wrote
There's also nothing to say that the improvement will make it better, and not worse. That's another chance I'm not willing to take.

You can listen to them both in your own home, at the same time, and then decide which one to return, as I understand it.

#39373 - 09/03/02 11:28 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
DOBEMAN Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Michigan Shoreline, MI
When Scott said that the production of the 950 was to begin soon a couple of weeks ago, I sent Outlaw a email saying that I had a issue with the Hiss problem. Even though it is a very slight hiss, it is there. And like you, I really dont know if I want to swap it out for the new and improved 950. I have been given the option to compare them side by side. I believe that we all would be hard pressed to find another company that is willing to do this for customers who have already received their product. Most would make you wait while they serviced everyone else before they got back to you. So I tip my hat to them and look forward to listening to their new offering in the next few days. Then I will decide to keep it or not.

#39374 - 09/04/02 04:30 PM Re: To Replace Or Not To Replace, That Is The Question
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
from the 'problem solved' thread:

Quote:

Q. What will happen to the unit I send back?
A. We will re-build those units to current specifications and hold them in reserve for service replacements, review units and other internal purposes.

I'd think that replacing the hissing units falls under service replacements, no?

brianca..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts