Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#39130 - 09/05/02 09:14 AM Re: I give up!!!!
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Jeff: To equate the Outlaw 950 roller coaster ride with online internet fraud is pure hyperbole verging on libel. You should reconsider your publishing of such balderdash.

As for the Sunfire, it is a very attractive unit at the online $2600 price. However, if you bought it from a B&M, you probably paid more than $3000. Hopefully, with that kind of cash outlay, you don't switch inputs with the volume level too high, or even during regular playback when the bitstream pauses and resumes, or the popping you hear will drive you to write more angry letters to the editor.

Sunfire has acknowledged the problem and has posted several software updates for the STG3 on its' website. Unfortunately, none of those fixes have worked for everyone. Recently, Sunfire has gone so far as to purchase some CD and DVD players from customers to test with the STG3 units. Still, no complete fix, but they are working on it.

As you are learning, no new complex pre/pros, regardless of cost, are being released without needing at least one fix...

Good Luck with your nice new unit.
merc\'s primary system

#39131 - 09/05/02 10:44 AM Re: I give up!!!!
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
One time, I read a movie review in the local newspaper. I went to see the movie and it was bad. So now I don't read newspapers anymore. And I only go to live theater now.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39132 - 09/05/02 10:54 AM Re: I give up!!!!
santaclarajim Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, California
Quote:
Originally posted by merc:
Sunfire has acknowledged the problem and has posted several software updates for the STG3 on its' website.

Merc,

You reference to the release of software fixes brings up my only serious concern about the 950. I still do not understand their choice not to include a user-installed software upgrade mechanism.

The techno;ogy will certainly change and develop. The 950 does not provide a simple path to implement those changes.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Santa Clara Jim

#39133 - 09/05/02 10:54 AM Re: I give up!!!!
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
I cant speak for Outlaw, but, I can saw this: Your statement about buying thru the internet is DEAD WRONG! Just over the last year I purchased a Tos 65HX81, a 5700 companion DVD player without a hitch. I even got a tech to come out for tweaking my set at no expense. I plan soon to buy either a DWIN CRT or the Sharp DLP Hi Def units.. I, for one, applaud Outlaw for taking care of these problems and think they are very reputable. You dont always get what you pay for and, although, I , too like the Sunfire unit, I couldnt justify paying so much more. If I were to go that route, I might as well go for Theta or a Lexicon! For now, Ill hang in there!!!!

#39134 - 09/05/02 12:00 PM Re: I give up!!!!
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

Disappointed: You said that you "had really hoped a company would have come about that offered a great product at a good price." That is exactly what Outlaw is all about. While it is frustrating for those waiting for new or updated 950s, when all is said and done, everyone will have a high quality product at a fair price. Little Lena and Scott make a good point - you can't deny the success, quality, and bargain of the 1050 and other Outlaw products. And, only a fraction of the 950 users experienced a hiss problem. But Outlaw stopped the presses until they knew they had the problem licked. I can only imagine the frustration and stress at Outlaw as they read all the posts in this forum while they were working on the fix of the 950. Nowhere else can you find a company that allows a forum like this, where users (and non-users) can express their opinions, likes and dislikes, and ask questions. Also, I know of no other company that handles phone calls the way Outlaw does. So while Outlaw is not for everyone, they don't deserve to be slammed so hard. They might have fallen short on promises of anticipated 950 deliveries, but I don't believe there was any deliberate deception. I work for a fire truck builder, and sometimes we deliver late. But one of our priorities is quality over delivery. So, enjoy your system. There aren't many things better than sitting back and listening to great sound.
Mayor D.

#39135 - 09/05/02 12:07 PM Re: I give up!!!!
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
One time, I read a movie review in the local newspaper. I went to see the movie and it was bad. So now I don't read newspapers anymore. And I only go to live theater now.

ZING, got me Matthew. I read that last line of mine today and ‘thought’ now that doesn’t flow. Forgive me, I had my best friend and horse Co-partner (since we were 13) here last evening and we were both crying into 2 glasses of wine. She’s in the middle of the world’s worst divorce. (Two years now and still not signed, I never dreamt it could take this long). I was sensitive to aggression when I read the post and let tispy fingers fly without thinking, (I'm a lightweight).

I do read papers, and reviews and do compute them! They just rate a sliding scale with me. Wish I could attend live theater all the time, but I’m not in the best town for that. Although I did see Michael Crawford do ‘Phantom’ in LA. My most sublime live experience!

Since I forgot my manners, Dear Dissatisfied, I truly do hope you enjoy the SunFire. The ‘enjoyment’ is what we are all here for!

#39136 - 09/05/02 12:18 PM Re: I give up!!!!
tps123 Offline
Gunslinger

Jeff

You are dead wrong. As previously stated by everyone above me know one forced you to wait. No one took your money. Maybe the reality of paying 2000$ more has hit you and you need to vent.

The only thing that bothered me with this process was the optimistic schedule that outlaw set on themselves which left them eating crow numerous times. It appears now that they have learned from those mistakes and are being more realistic with their schedules.

TPS

#39137 - 09/05/02 12:41 PM Re: I give up!!!!
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

Santaclarajim,
My guess is that Outlaw has pretty much packed everything into the 950 that they can for the outrageously low price of $899.00. Even the next step up is 50% more, and I seriously doubt it is 50% better. They just can't give you every technology available at that price point. I for one am grateful that they are the ONE AND ONLY company in this whole wide world that is making an effort to bring us this kind of quality product.

#39138 - 09/05/02 02:03 PM Re: I give up!!!!
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
having never met lena, i can't verify if she is little, but i certainly can tell that she is smart, and one of the many reasons i'm still waiting for my 950.

my comment to disappointed:
sad....but cool...1 less ahead of me.

#39139 - 09/05/02 03:45 PM Re: I give up!!!!
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Thanks Bossobass, I can guarantee I’m little but I don’t claim ‘smart’.

I have been thinking that even though the name of this site is OUTLAW, with a logo that includes a horse, I should change my post name (which I came up with on the spur), - late late the first night I came in.
It’s dawned on me that in AV (without the history behind the choice) the ‘Smart’ part has a decidedly obnoxious ring to it! Here’s a bit of the history why the silly thing crossed my mind that night:

“Smart Little Lena in a pedigree is still cutting magic. He had 17 semifinalists in the three divisions of the 1999 NCHA Futurity led the '99 Futurity sales when 89 horses, or 84 percent of the 106 consigned, brought a leading gross of $2,553,100 for an average of $28,687. The leading sale horse, Mighty Fine Sue, was sired by Smart Little Lena. The pretty yearling filly, out of Meradas Little Sue, sold for $240,000.”
Credit to this site: http://www.smartlilplayer.com/html/smartlittlelena.html

If you guys are bored one day, Do you want to rename me??? And no… I don’t think I’d go for “Little Smartie Pants” even if deserved. Any suggestions???

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts