Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#39105 - 05/23/02 04:49 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
Elvis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Roseville, CA, USA
I've had my 950 for a few weeks so I thought this would be good time to add my $.02 here.

First off, here's my 5.1 set-up:

Outlaw 950 pre/pro
Outlaw 750 amp
Toshiba SD-5700 DVD Player (component & coax out)
Hughes DSS/DirecTivo (svideo & optical out)
X-Box Game Console (component & optical out)
Toshiba 57HX81 RPTV (component & svideo in)
Marantz CC3000 CD Player (analog & optical out)
Paradigm Ref Studio/40's (Main)
Paradigm Ref Studio/CC (Center)
Polk f/x500i (Surround - Rear wall mounted / bipole setting)
SVS 20-39PCi (Sub)
Outlaw/RadioShack/AR Cables
Generic Speaker Wire from Home Depot
Monster HTS1000 power strips / dedicated circuit
Calibrated w/ Sound and Vision HT Setup DVD

(Previous equipment H/K AVR500 receiver, Carver 705x amp, paradigm mini-monitor/adp170/cc350/ps1000)

Here are some of the titles I've been using with my system:

DVDs: Roger Waters In the Flesh Live, Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS, David Gray Live At The Point, Dave Matthews Band Listener Supported, U2 Elevation Tour, Gladiator, Phantom Menace, Toy Story 2, Contact, Moulin Rouge, MIB, Matrix, What Lies Beneath, Baraka, Fight Club, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...
CDs: Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Live, David Gray, Cabaret Diosa, Garth Brooks Double Live, Ani Difranco, Dave Brubeck, Ozomatli, Les Miserables, Barenaked Ladies, Tom Waits, Ravi Shankar, Nina Simone, Moby, Guster, Sting, Vangelis, George Winston, Ella Fitzgerald, Dido, Enya, Cake, Staind, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Gypsy Kings...

Okay, lets start with ergonomics. I was very pleased with the design and build quality. It's similar to the Outlaw 1050, and matches well with my 750 Amp (Sorry, but I even like the logo and green button). For my taste, I am strictly a "form follows function" kind of person. I like simple and intuitive. The 950's front panel is clean and easy to use. The buttons are clearly marked, large, and nicely spaced (unlike my old receiver). Most of the controls are easy to use in a dark room. I think the rubberized volume control is a nice touch. The face plate does not look or feel cheap at all to me. The display is easy to read while from several feet away. The remote is similar to my old remote and I really don't care for it much. I will probably buy a different remote. I don't like that the programmable device buttons are tied to the source selection buttons. Maybe there is a way around this I'm not sure. There are also no 'direct' sub/center/surround trim +/- buttons on the remote. You have to hit TRIM and scroll through the channels, and then adjust. I also haven't found a sub on/off button. The OSD is very easy to navigate (my old h/k was a nightmare to set up). Calibrating channels with the 950 is a breeze. I would have liked to have the ability to remember calibration levels for each input (they are global as far as I can tell). As it is, I often have to raise and lower the sub trim to match what I am watching/listening to - Big pain. I would rather just be able to set it and forget about it.

The best feature of 950 is the sound that comes out of my speakers. I knew my receiver was the weak spot in my system, but I can't get over the difference the 950 has made. Movies are just amazing and CD music never sounded so smooth and sweet. Everything is so clear and clean .. all the hiss and background noise is gone (yes boys and girls..gone). DTS is a whole new experience (this was very weak in my old receiver). Dolby Digital processing is lovely. I was also surprised at how much better the bass and LFEs sounds. The entire 5.1 sound field is so well balanced and integrated. There is no way I could go back to my old setup. I have listened to a variety of CDs with both analog (bypass and stereo) and digital inputs (as well as the various DSP modes). All of them perform very well and at this point I really don't prefer one over the other. My H/K had Logic7 but I don't miss it. I use PLII modes occasionally, particularly for some live concert recordings or for the rare VHS movie (Star Wars Trilogy). The Auto Sound Format feature works well for me with my DVD player, however I will probably lock the format for DirecTivo as there is a slight audio delay when changing channels or fast forwarding through recorded programming. This is not really a big deal though. I can always set the mode from the remote for DD DSS programming.

This is actually my 2nd 950. My first 950 had a problem with the left main channel (It would spontaneously jump up in volume by about 10 db). The Outlaws quickly diagnosed the problem and overnighted me a replacement unit at their cost, and I shipped them back the bad unit (also at their cost). I have had no problems with the replacement unit. Such great customer service is a rare thing these days!

In summary, I am very happy with the 950 in my system and will not be sending it back. It isn't perfect, but I can live with its few minor weak points. The 950 delivers so much for so little $$$. It really is a steal at this price.

#39106 - 09/11/02 03:22 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
jpancake Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead! I'll be receiving my 950 tomorrow and will post my impressions when I get it mated up with the lonely Parasound 1250 I've had for three months.

In the meantime, I thought we'd get this thread going again for all of the new/updated 950 owners to post their thoughts!

-JPancake

#39107 - 09/11/02 05:19 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
i ordered my 950 sept. 10th (yesterday) and received it today. i just finished connections and quick set-up. i chose to begin with james taylor's hourglass multi-channel SACD.

[long pause]

boblinds, if you're reading this, i should really have taken your advice and invested in those adult diapers....really.

you've all read the hundreds of reviews of all the pre/pros out there. you recall all the adjectives written by those reviewers who have laudable command of the english language.

i'll just tell you this...i simply laughed out loud. though i haven't had the pleasure of listening through a lex, anthem, krell, ead, etc., i can honestly say i have not heard better reproduction of recorded music in my memory.

over the course of the next 3 days, i'll run this 950 through the paces and offer my report friday evening.

in the meanwhile, someone should start a thread with lists of favorite software (dvd movies, dvd-a, sacd, cd, dts cd, etc.). for those of you who have an sacd player...get the hourglass sacd in multichannel.

see you all soon, and to everyone at outlaw...everything you've said to me in all my communications with you has been true over the last 6 months....thank you.

#39108 - 09/11/02 05:31 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
karlengle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, WA, USA
It would be a good idea to also mention what pre/pro or receiver you are replacing with your 950. It would help give a background and frame of reference.

#39109 - 09/11/02 06:57 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
boblinds, if you're reading this, i should really have taken your advice and invested in those adult diapers....really.

Believe me now or believe me later.

Seriously, I couldn't be happier that you had the anticipated bladder bursting introduction to the Outlaw 950.

And as far as that laughing reaction is concerned, I think you'll be surprised how often and how long those kind of experiences continue. I continue to have moments during music and movie listening (which I now call Outlaw Moments) when I think, "Damn. That sounded JUST RIGHT."

In fact, if you check out the Demos forum here, I'm adding another Outlaw Moment to my thread.

Bob

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts