Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#39065 - 05/05/02 01:05 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
In better news, I'm having a little more luck with the remote now. Finally got it programmed for my TV & VCR. Don't know why it didn't work before; I simply followed the same procedure today that I did last time, and one of the codes turned the VCR off. Likewise for the TV. *shrug*

I couldn't find a code that would turn off my CD player (Sony CDP-MX555ES) but that's OK, I would probably use the Sony's remote anyway as it has a handy LCD that shows track and disc titles.

The only code that worked for the TV had some of the buttons wrong; the "menu" button worked, and up-down keys, but side to side keys activated the picture controls, so I had no way to use the menu. So I used the "learn" function to reprogram those keys. Worked like a charm, once I figured out how to work it.

One thing that confused me; you have to press the key on the teaching remote twice; my first reading of the manual seemed to say you had to press the button on the teaching remote once and then the button on the 950 remote. In fact, once you press the button on the teaching remote twice, it's programmed, and you don't press the 950's button again.

I didn't have so much luck with my DVD player. For one, my DVD player has no on/off function on the remote; only on the front panel, so that made finding the code harder. The only code I found that does anything has all the buttons in VERY odd places, and the keypad doesn't work, etc. Later, when I get time, I'm going to try using the learning function to program each button individually without using a code. It may be hard, though, because of all the "weird" buttons on the DVD remote (angle, subtitle, a-b, clear, time, program, shuffle, audio, menu, title, display, return, and at least half a dozen others...) Even if I find a key on the 950's remote for all of these, I'll forget what they all do rather quickly.

Overall, I'm happy with the remote. My only qualm is that it still occasionally takes several presses to get the 950 to recognize a command... And going from five to three remotes is still a BIG improvement.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39066 - 05/05/02 01:11 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

HT crazed,
Glad you thought my review sounded the most believable to you. I think calling some of these people here 'cheerleaders' though (while may be true) is insulting none the less. Maybe slightly diff. wording might just be 'nicer' to help keep the peace around here -before the Sheriff locks anybody up! -heh

RAF,
I hope you don't consider me an Outlaw basher!? I got mad during those last few weeks at their lack of follow through on delivery -understandibly so IMO, but either way I'm no 'basher'.
I said I'd stop being mad when they shipped, and true to my word, I'm no longer mad.

I've supported Outlaw's 950 progress for most of the year I waited for this sucker -though diminishingly as it carried on.

Also, I think HT crazed's short post about my review wasn't a problem and not off-topic IMO -though I may be biased from the complement?
And if it was off-topic, your post about his post might be considered even more-so? No big deal IMO. I can understand how the 'cheerleader' comment might've gotten to you though, but he didn't say 'you'.

While I can't speak for HT crazed himself,
I think he means (and relevant to further reviews here IMO) lots of people love this thing (and for good reasons), but have zero problems with anything about it.
Even when something doesn't work like they hoped -somehow it's fine by them anyway?
Like it's flawless. That'd be a 'cheerleader attitude', though probably rude to say despite the fact. And makes a review from these bowled-over people hard to trust as objective.

No product's flawless, and mentioning it's flaws doesn't mean 'bashing' and doesn't mean this 950 isn't still a very good sounding unit for a great price.

Some people don't even mention what they're comparing it to, or the rest of thier current set up... as if the sound magically floats into the 950 and then directly into our ears. As if amps, speakers, room, etc... are 1) irrelevent to the sound that's heard, or 2) can't effect the perfect sound of the 950.

It really makes those reviews usless and I KNOW people mean for them to be meaningful to others.
Your reviews, by the way RAF, DON'T skip these important facts and because of that, I found them to be very useful.

Also, I think Sound & Vision mag. is faaaar worse than any posts made here at making no relevent comparisons or mentioning the effects of other elements in the audio/vido chain.... and those punks get paid to do reviews! too bad it's by the companies they review.

#39067 - 05/05/02 01:52 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

HT crazed,

Forgot to mention that I don't hear the hum described by others. When nothing's playing (in DVD mode-optical cable) at any volume when my ear is close to my ribbon tweeter I can hear noise. It's very faint though and can't hear it when you're more than a few feet away -which I always am. I can't say that the noise is the 950 either.
I'd be more willing to bet it's my amps.

I have a dedicated 20amp line to my HT room, and 12ga. elec. wire. The rest of the house and the other houses connected to the same power transformer are all wired 14 ga., so my HT room should be supressing most outside noise.

Matthew,

I think we're in the same boat w/ our DVD remotes.
If this helps, I programed in my DVD code which works some menu functions, then I taught it all the track numbers and a few other buttons which gives me enough to 'basically' work the two sets of DVD remote functions. I didn't use up any macros yet either.

I'm determined to shelve my other remotes even if it means losing some control. I think this remote'll come 'close enough'.

I'm sick of having a pile of remotes, and my old Denon did away w/ most of them. I'm not gonna go backwards, and I'm not gettin' a rip off pronto- not when they cost as much as a palm pilot!? Too bad there's no IR adapter for those. Now that'd be a good deal.

#39068 - 05/05/02 02:17 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
I'm sick of having a pile of remotes, and... I'm not gonna go backwards

Calling Mr.Gonk,
On that subject, I saw your earlier posts where you were busy programming your 950 remote. Are you going to try to teach the 950 remote to your Sony, and cont. using the commander? Does the Sony, handle the 950?

#39069 - 05/05/02 02:34 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You rang?

I am using the 950's remote exclusively right now. The Sony could handle the job with a little creative learning/setup (similar to what I did when I had it controlling the 1050), but my wife and I both have liked having a more "traditional" sized remote. Plus my wife never really liked the touchscreen, and the cats tended to walk across it on the coffee table and change things with their paws.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#39070 - 05/05/02 03:20 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
(You rang?) Sorry Gonk, I bet that Outlaw doorbell wire which came with your 1050, drives you and your wife crazy sometimes!

(cats tended to walk across it on the coffee table and change things with their paws.) Happened twice this weekend here, boy can Cart Racing, 'blow you out of the water' when the cats stretch, - they like to use it as a pillow! Thanks for the reply, maybe I will warm up to the 950 remote, right now I really prefer my touchscreen, good to know it sounds like I can.
PS. I got my order confirmation! I'm such a goose, e-mail was sent 5-3, and I didn't see it till late yesterday. Have to make my final decision now, feverishly checking all the posts by the new owners, today!

#39071 - 05/05/02 03:40 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
ltkhuc Offline
Gunslinger

Here's my litle review . Took me awhile to finish it

[This message has been edited by ltkhuc (edited May 05, 2002).]

#39072 - 05/05/02 04:32 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

ltkhuc,
Thanks for the review. If English is not your first language you have absolutely nothing to apologize for. It was just fine and a lot better than a lot of us "natives."

I'm glad you like your 950.

azryan,
No, I didn't really consider you an Outlaw "basher" just one of the frustrated people on the outside looking in while the beta testers played with the prototypes. But yes, I did see the inference of a link between being a beta tester and being a cheerleader and that bothered me a bit. Granted, "Cheerleading" could be defined as having an extremely positive attitude toward something, but I don't think that was what the author was implying. Whatever. I can only speak for myself and I resent the fact that when I tell what I believe is the truth that it's automatically assumed that something less than honest is going on.

But, as said before, I fully understand why some people seem more comfortable now that others are being heard from and the majority of the reports are backing up what we have been saying. Not everyone who receives their 950 can be part of any conspiracy, right? (And your point is well taken about off-topic discussions. I didn't start it, but I'll try to tone it down for the sake of keeping this about the 950 and reviews.)

Speaking of which, my take on the 950's remote is that it's "OK" but I'm not about to give up my Pronto. To me the remote is a bonus with the 950 and does not have anything to do with the sonic performance of the unit. The fact that it has some universal controlability is a nice little extra, but whether it's good or bad is not that important to me. Others may disagree with me but that's my take on this.

My main beef with the remote has to do with its "universality." When you press one of the other functions you have to remember to press the AUD button in the upper left hand corner to return control to the 950 (for menu options, etc.) The VOLUME PUNCH THROUGH function (as explained in the manual) is essential otherwise I'd throw the remote across the room.

However, like I may have mentioned here (I'm on so many forums that it's hard to remember what I said where) I've programmed my Pronto by replacing all my previous DENON 5700 references with Outlaw 950 equivalent references and it suits me fine (including volume and mute punch through on the Pronto).

To anticipate another question, NO, I did not create a special Outlaw 950 CCF file for the Pronto with all the controls on it. I'm willing to bet that this is probably being done as we speak by somebody and I'll probably borrow it as well to add additional functionality to my Pronto as a backup for the Outlaw Remote.

If the CCF already exists I'd like to hear about it.

Take care, all.

------------------
RAF

My HT (latest update 04/17/02) Now includes Outlaw 950 and Outlaw 755

[This message has been edited by Robert A Fowkes (edited May 05, 2002).]

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#39073 - 05/05/02 06:06 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
It's a shame it doesn't have a VOLUME + 20 OR SO OTHER KEYS punch-through mode.

I tried to program it to change my Sony TV from normal to anamorphic mode, with one of the macros, but no luck. Would you believe it takes a minimum of 11 remote codes to accomplish this task? Add the source selection (apparently all macros start on "AUD") and I'm two strokes over the maximum for one macro.

Unbelievable. I can't believe Sony made such a glaring UI blunder in an otherwise nice TV.

Well, pressing the TV/VIDEO button repeatedly to cycle through the 6 inputs (including RF) to find the two that I use is pretty annoying too. No remote can fix that.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39074 - 05/05/02 09:14 PM Re: Unofficial 950 review thread
BrianCorr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Plano, TX USA
mdanderson,
would you be up for a side by side comparison of the 950 and the rotel 1066?
Over at HTF, some are trying to set something up. I noticed you were in Rowlett. There is a guy (jeff) in the colony with a 1066.
Let me know if you'd be up for it. Jeff is willing to host or go to someone's elses house. I know I, and many others would like to see how they stack up against each other. I'm in Plano and could also host it since I'm in the middle.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts