Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#39003 - 09/14/02 12:45 PM Different SPL readings?
werner52 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND USA
Initially I used the test tones from the 950. A day later I popped in AVIA and ran the test tones at the same reference level "0" on the Pre/Pro. Using AVIA I had to lower each of the channels by 5-6.

Just wondering why the discrepancy between the two?

#39004 - 09/14/02 01:28 PM Re: Different SPL readings?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by werner52:
Using AVIA I had to lower each of the channels by 5-6.

I've run into that same thing. The noise on the AVIA is "A" weighted filtered, and I would assume that the Outlaw's internal generator is also. First confirm that they both SOUND the same. Keep your SPL meter in exactly the same position for each source. Select "C" weighting on your SPL meter (wideband). If you select "A" weighting, you will be getting a double dose of filtering - from the source and the meter. This can throw off levels. After doing all that, the Outlaw generator and the AVIA still will probably be differentf by a few DBs. I calibrate by the tones on the DVD since that is actually the source of tones that you will actually be listening to (unless you LIKE to listen to the Outlaw's pink noise)> The important thing is that all your speakers should be set for the same level. The sub is particularly hard to get a reading on; I just do it by ear. By the way, the Sound & Vision Home Theatre Tune Up DVD has 6.1 channel pink noise tones verses 5.1 on the AVIA. Useful for setting the level on rear surrounds in Dolby EX.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts