Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#38967 - 09/10/02 11:54 AM Re: double bass
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
http://www.hothousepro.com/products/spec-sheets/sbx.html

this is the closest thing to true "bass management" i have found.

there isn't a pre/pro available at any price that offers this kind of flexibility. so, i agree that that the option should be there to send the .1 info unaltered to an outboard unit like this one (or multiple units that comprise the equivalent processing options) to the subwoofer.

this specific chain of signal processing, along with proper room acoustic treatment, not only is true "bass management", but will enhance ANY system's ability to reproduce the source material (given the sub and amp are of sufficient quality).

the reality is that the sbx coupled with a good sub and amplifier costs in the 4k range.
there is simply no way a $400 cube with an integral plate amp fed a signal from a pre/pro's "bass managed" sw out will even approach a correct balance.

this is why i agree with charlie when he prefers a good set of mains with the sub off to an inferior mains/sub setup. (and...thanx for helping me to understand that)

on the other side of that, i know, by comparative listening, that a properly managed mains/sub setup is better...hugely better...than mains alone.

i only wish that the pre/pro manufacturers would stop using the "bass management" term altogether as it is misleading and confusing the whole issue.

...sorry if the address at the top isn't a clicky-thingy...i'm not very technical with links and such.

#38968 - 09/10/02 12:52 PM Re: double bass
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
I always thought that the reason why you wanted to be (at least) one octave up from the - 3 dB point, was that if that point is too close to the slope itself the crossover provides (where the mains are still audible), that you can get the effect of cascading filters.

That's correct. It's what I meant by 'range where the first part of the slope can be controlled better'.

But, if your speaker begins to roll off at 40hz and it rolls off at 12db / octave, you can use a 40hz 2nd order highpass and match it with a 40hz 4th order lowpass on the sub and the result should be a symetrical 4th order xover. In order for that to work you need to have control of the xover slope and point and know where and how rapidly your mains fade away, so it's not always easy.

Some THX systems do this at 80hz with good results though. Assuming there is no max SPL issue of course, which is less likely at 80hz.

#38969 - 09/10/02 03:11 PM Re: double bass
bossobass Offline
Desperado

charlie,

if you use a 40hz 12db/octave (2nd order) high pass filter on (the signal to be amplified and then sent to) your mains, won't the roll-off be at 36 db/octave (B6 alignment), regardless of the natural roll-off of the drivers?

#38970 - 09/10/02 04:37 PM Re: double bass
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Bossobass:

I suppose it doesn't hurt to mention that the price of the SBX is $1,999, as compared to about 1/8th of that for the ICBM?

ARF ARF says Iggy: What do I know, I'm only a dog!

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#38971 - 09/10/02 05:15 PM Re: double bass
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:

if you use a 40hz 12db/octave (2nd order) high pass filter on (the signal to be amplified and then sent to) your mains, won't the roll-off be at 36 db/octave (B6 alignment), regardless of the natural roll-off of the drivers?

All the information I have indicates this is not true. Why would you say so?

While amplitude vs. power response is a tricky thing it has more to do with alignment than slope. Every crossover design and electronics book I've got indicate that every order of complexity adds 6db per octave to the filter slope, regardless of if it is pre or post amp, electrical or acoustical.

Most systems have a (fairly) predictable slope as they cutoff.

#38972 - 09/10/02 06:19 PM Re: double bass
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
I'm sorry, but I'm lost. Tell me what to do in the words of that famous pitchman (Ron Popeil?) of the pocket fisherman and more recently the George Foreman style grease dripping cooker of "SET IT....... AND.... FORGET IT!"
Thanks
DmC

[This message has been edited by DMC (edited September 10, 2002).]

#38973 - 09/10/02 06:45 PM Re: double bass
charlie Offline
Desperado

Ummm, fiddle until it sounds good, find beverage, watch movie?

#38974 - 09/10/02 07:15 PM Re: double bass
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
Ummm, fiddle until it sounds good, find beverage, watch movie

LOL, I will take your "sound" advice, but not necessarily in that order! plus the fact I don't have the 950 yet, doesn't help

#38975 - 09/11/02 04:24 PM Re: double bass
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
All the information I have indicates this is not true. Why would you say so?

EDIT - This is not intended as a challenge, I'm always eager to learn. It's what it is - an honest question.

While amplitude vs. power response is a tricky thing it has more to do with alignment than slope. Every crossover design and electronics book I've got indicate that every order of complexity adds 6db per octave to the filter slope, regardless of if it is pre or post amp, electrical or acoustical.

Most systems have a (fairly) predictable slope as they cutoff.

#38976 - 09/11/02 04:42 PM Re: double bass
bossobass Offline
Desperado

charlie,
i understood it to be an honest question. i apologize for delaying the answer, but my 950 arrived intact today. i just finished connections and i will get back to you as soon as i find the down button on the elevator from heaven.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts