Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#38947 - 08/20/02 11:41 PM Re: double bass
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
charlie...i understand now....and thanx for the detailed clarification.

#38948 - 08/21/02 11:00 AM Re: double bass
charlie Offline
Desperado

Yeah - It seems obvious to me, but that's a mistake - it doesn't hurt everyone.

In all fairness I suppose if I were a product manager and had to make a feature set choice (no bass management vs what's there) I might have done the same thing. As a product the 950 has to target the biggest possible market. They have been VERY aggressive about their price point and there's not a lot of room to wiggle. It will work for most folks. From that point of view Outlaw did the right thing I suppose, but not from _my_ point of view.

Since the price is so right and I don't even use the analog outs on a DVD-A yet the 950 probably would be OK, at least for a while if it were shipping.

#38949 - 08/21/02 12:20 PM Re: double bass
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Yeah, ain't that the rub. The 950 becomes just a little bit less "okay" for every day that passes. It would have been a great feature set a year ago, it's a good feature set now. The lack of good DVD/A support is a ticking time bomb; sooner or later it will matter. The 950 makes more sense the longer you can own it. I've had mine for three months now; if I can own it for two or three years I'll be happy. If I could have owned it for four years I would have been happier. At some point, it becomes not worth buying.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38950 - 08/21/02 12:30 PM Re: double bass
charlie Offline
Desperado

That's not what I meant, but I'll take credit if you insist 'cause you're exactly right.

Good point.

Also, I'm not sure if the problems are really design choices or oversights. Only the design team really knows, but it could work either way. Maybe Outlaw was constrained by price, maybe it was oversight due to time pressure or this being the '1.0' pre/pro, who can say?

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited August 21, 2002).]

#38951 - 08/21/02 04:20 PM Re: double bass
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
Quote:
Maybe Outlaw was constrained by price, maybe it was oversight due to time pressure or this being the '1.0' pre/pro, who can say?

Instead of "1.0", until it ships, how about "0.9"?

DmC

#38952 - 08/23/02 04:51 AM Re: double bass
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
The 950's stereo bypass mode has double bass, per Scott's July 8 post in another thread:
Quote:

Hello All,

The large/small and crossover settings in the by-pass mode do not effect the main speakers. At all times the main speakers will see a full bandwidth signal. If the main speakers are set to "small" in the speaker configuration menu the x-over setting chosen which determine at what point the signal is also redirected to the sub. So, if your main speakers are set to "large" your sub will be inactive during playback in the by-pass mode. If your main speakers are set to "small" and a crossover of 60 Hz is selected, your mains speakers will continue to receive an unaltered full bandwidth signal. However, your sub will also see the bass information from 60 Hz and below.

Scott

In stereo bypass mode, when the mains are set to small, bass also goes to the subwoofer, which causes double bass.

This is not 5.1. It's just 2 channels. The full frequency range goes to the main speakers even when they are set to small. With stereo bypass, the main speakers get the FULL frequency range.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited August 23, 2002).]

#38953 - 08/23/02 08:31 PM Re: double bass
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Will- Makes sense. The Rotel has the same problem.

I.e., the "small" or "large" setting for the mains doesn't mean anything in 2 channel bypass mode. The mains are always "large" and get a full range signal *in addition* to the re-directed bass to the sub.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited August 23, 2002).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#38954 - 08/23/02 09:58 PM Re: double bass
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Makes sense to me. That's the way it should work for 99% of us.

#38955 - 08/26/02 06:06 PM Re: double bass
harp795 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
Wanted to say "Hello". Although this is my first post, I've been watching the postings for almost a year. I've been on the 950 waiting list since March. Reading the posts about double bass prompted me to ask a question.

My current system consists of a Parasound HCA1205 5 channel amp, mated to a Yamaha RXV1000 AV DD/DTS receiver (To be replaced by the 950 if I ever get my email). The Yamaha does my processing and sends the signal via the 5.1 RCA outputs to my amplifier. I have the NHT 2.9s as main L/R speakers which are rated down to 26hz. I also use a 12" subwoofer, but typically keep the subwoofer volume very low. I like it to fill in only the lowest octaves. I currently do not use the .1 subwoofer output of my receiver, I instead run speaker level right off of my L/R amplifier outputs into the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer. I set the mains to "large" so full range sound is sent out. I then use the crossover on the subwoofer to dial in the right sound.

Question 1: Is there any advantage to using the subwoofer output of the 5.1 outputs over using speaker level? I know RCA output is supposed to be cleaner, but in my system the sub out tends to make the bass from the subwoofer a little sloppy and slow. I always attributed this to a "double crossover effect" of using the subwoofer out. Meaning the Yamaha has a fixed crossover point of 90hz, so everything below 90hz is sent through the sub out. However, there is no way to bypass the crossover in the subwoofer itself, so it too filters the sound at whatever frequency it's set. This "double crossover effect" tends to make a bass a tad sloppy and slow. At least I PERCEIVE the bass to be sloppy and slow, maybe I am just hearing something differnt from what I am used to and really the sound is more accurate....just different. I would assume the 90hz filtering is done in the digital domain, so theoretically there would be no degredation of signal. My subwoofer has a remote controlled volume control so I can adjust the sound as needed and don't really need the subwoofer level offered by the Yamaha. I figure since my mains are set to large, all the bass signals that would otherwise be sent through the sub out are being sent to the main L/R speakers.....which in turn is being sent to my subwoofer through the speaker level inputs. Does running the sub through the "sub out" offer any advantages in this scenario.

Question 2: Will the 950 allow me to send signal through the subwoofer output full range??? This way I could use the crossover in the sub and remove the extra crossover in the signal path.

Thanks in advance for the comments!

Steve

#38956 - 09/02/02 11:59 AM Re: double bass
charlie Offline
Desperado

Personally I would consider dialing the subwoofers built in Xover as far up 'out of the way' as possible and use the adjustable crossover on the 950 as a first configuration. If you move the built in sub xover high enough (most will go up to 120-200 Hz) it shouldn't interfere with the pre/pro xover. Set your speakers to 'small' and cross over at 40 Hz in the 950.

See if that works for you.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts