Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38880 - 07/24/02 01:53 PM Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
911millertourguide Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: chicago,il usa
Will the owners of 950 please post your positive views of the units, let us in "ON" the sunshine!!!!!Move beyond the hiss>>>>>>>>>>>what do you like about your units?????

#38881 - 07/24/02 02:48 PM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
What's with all the greater than signs?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38882 - 07/24/02 04:12 PM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I suppose that the signal-to-noise of the "newer", hiss-free units, will be *greater than* that of the older, hiss-ful units...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#38883 - 07/24/02 05:35 PM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Miller TG
Do a search under 950 in this forum, you will find scattered posts on reviews.
They are not numerous to date due to:
1: Shipping was halted, # of units which should have been out by this date are not yet.
2: Many who receive will never post, they waste all their typing time (can you believe it) just watching movies or listening to music.
3: Some owners have posted on their home forums where they hang out although of these many set a link at this site to their review.

Hope this helps?

#38884 - 07/24/02 09:24 PM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Sorry, real life has intruded upon my "free" time lately. What time I have I spend listening to music on my 1050 + Rocket RS750 music system or watching movies on my 950 + 750 + Boston Acoustics VR-Mxx HT system. No noticable hiss, nor any clicks when changing sources, on my 950. It simply works well and sounds great.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#38885 - 07/25/02 10:31 AM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Well, okay, here we go. I'm at work now so unfortunately this isn't typing time that I can convert to listening time...

I have a 950 and I like it a lot. I like it because it sounds good with any source material and because it has all the latest processing modes and enough inputs to connect all my stuff. Oh, and because buying it left enough money left over to buy all the stuff that I connect to it.

Is that what you were looking for?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38886 - 07/25/02 10:46 AM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As Smart Little Lena mentioned, there are a few threads scattered through here with feedback from users. I posted this review with my take on the 950 shortly after I got mine (you'll also notice a link to the review in my sig). It's been two months since I added anything to that review. In that time, my opinion has remained the same. I really like the sound of the 950 combined with my 750 and Paradigm Studio's. I've found the interface and remote to be easy to use (not everyone will agree there, but for my needs I'm happy with them -- others have different needs, and therefore different opinions). And as for the hiss, I've not noticed any such problems with my unit and the associated gear.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#38887 - 07/25/02 04:01 PM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
rjcrum Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California, USA
I echo the sentiment; I love my 950. The biggest items for me:

1. It has enough inputs to handle my load (two VCRs, DVD, HDTV OTA/Satellite receiver, CD player, TiVo, Cassette deck, TV)

2. It has no noticible hiss, and is WAAAAYY quieter than what it replaced (a 29-year old Audio Research SP-5 2 channel preamp).

3. It's easy to operate, though the Zone 2 controls leave a bit to be desired.

4. It has all the latest surround modes, and they all sound great.

5. It was only $900, leaving something to buy the TiVo earlier this month.

#38888 - 07/26/02 06:53 PM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
bng Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA USA
So far so good. I've had mine since early May and have been enjoying it since. Hiss is only audible at about 3 inches from the speaker. Sounds great with HT, good with music. Still tweaking it musically but so far, it's seems to be a bit "bright" or "revealing" for my tastes. However, it's not what I would consider fatiguing in it's current set up.

Only two issues for me:

1. The delay in picking up (digitally) surround format. I lose about a fraction of a second or so of the first song of the CD and the same amount of time during DVD playback. It's most noticable during the extras on a DVD. Check out the Phantom Menace deleted scenes for an example. Modes (DD 5.1 and 2.0) seem to flip between the deleted scenes and the interview prior to the scene. It gets old missing the first few sylables of the interview or music from the scene itself. According to most, it's an unavoidable issue for pre/pros. The beta testers have indicated that the "blank" is much less than the beta units they tested. I can't imagine it being any longer.

2. The remote - Kinda awkward, front heavy. No apparent "scrolling" through FM/AM presets (did I miss it?). I'm getting a HTM MX-500 in the next day or so. That will help the multiple remote issue which is also a pain. Didn't try to program the 950 remote as I knew eventually, it would be replaced with a Pronto or MX500.

BTW, I currently have the 950 mated to B&W CDM1NT mains, LCR6 center, 600 rears, SVS 20-39PC w/improved driver, Rotel RB985mk11 amp, a mix of AR, Outlaw and Canare DIY interconnects.

Overall, I'm happy with the 950 especially at the $899 price. At this point in time, I can't see spending more for the 1066 (w/no tuner) much less the more expensive pre/pros.

Bob

#38889 - 07/28/02 02:56 AM Re: Lets hear the GOOD NewS>>>950 owners!!!!!!!
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
Here is a link to some reviews of the 950. Mine is on page 2. As an update, I am liking 6.1 encoded dvds more and more now. I have to turn the volume up a bit more but I really like the results. I really like Atlantis and The World is Not Enough.

------------------
http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000288.html

[This message has been edited by mdanderson (edited July 28, 2002).]
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM