Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#38809 - 07/22/02 06:56 PM Hmmmmm...?
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
For those that aren't already in the know, here is a very interesting link you might be like to see, especially those with or waiting for Model 950's!

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2002/home_theater/page_02.shtml

Wonder if they will run into similar issues with their respective units?

#38810 - 07/22/02 11:29 PM Re: Hmmmmm...?
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Thanks for the link. Interesting, huh?
Mix

#38811 - 07/23/02 10:39 AM Re: Hmmmmm...?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
It's not silver anymore... Hmm...

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38812 - 07/23/02 11:38 AM Re: Hmmmmm...?
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
Very interesting! I saw this coming for some time when the Atlantic unit appearing on the scene.So what to do? Wait for more competing units to appear! Of course, they will , most likely, be priced in that $1699 range since they have more expensive overhead than Outlaw. I, too, am on the waiting list/early FEB. But, with all these problems I am a little hesitate and leaning stongly to the Rotel 1066, although I REALLY want the Anthem or Sunfire. So, like many others I am setting tight. GREAT ARTICLE! HEADS UP!!

#38813 - 07/23/02 12:25 PM Re: Hmmmmm...?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
This article has been at that URL since CES in January.

Is there any new information on these two 950 clones, one from Atlantic Technology, and the other from Sherbourn Technologies? Last we heard, from Outlaw mind you, is the clones won't be available until Outlaw gets to the end of the 950 wait list. Also they weren't saying if there were internal differences between the 950 and the clones. There are external differences between the clones and the 950 of course. (No green button).

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 23, 2002).]

#38814 - 07/23/02 09:15 PM Re: Hmmmmm...?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I haven’t run into a peep on what (if any) other than outer casing changes would be made. I’m going to guess that Outlaw has to waste some paper/phone time dealing with Atlantic/Sherbourn and the several other (according to CES coverage, half a dozen) waiting in the wings badgers of this Outlaw initiated product. I have seen somewhere other than this forum that Outlaw did have an exclusive to fill certain order obligations before the unit would be released as an offering by other Companies. That subject between Easteac and all involved must be a can of worms.

For the many who will just see these items pop up full blown and mature like Venus from her Shell, they will be blithely unaware of the background saga Outlaw went through to launch their prepro.

#38815 - 07/24/02 02:57 AM Re: Hmmmmm...?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I got hooked up with a dealer in Vegas via HTF for AT. He said their's would be out end of July. He quoted me $1250 plus shipping.

I do think that there would be a drop dead date by which even if Outlaw hadn't satisfied all of its customers on the waiting list (even the initial batch), that if AT's and Sherbourn's units were ready, that they could begin shipping anyway. Just good business sense.

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited July 24, 2002).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#38816 - 07/24/02 03:10 AM Re: Hmmmmm...?
Will Offline
Desperado

Did the Vegas dealer say July of what year?
Quote:

even if Outlaw hadn't satisfied all of its customers on the waiting list (even the initial batch), if AT's and Sherbourn's units were ready, they could begin shipping anyway. Just good business sense.

The AT and Sherbourn clones probably won't ship until the hiss problem on the 950 is fixed.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 24, 2002).]

#38817 - 07/24/02 11:51 AM Re: Hmmmmm...?
surroundophile Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, Il. USA
I posted this on another thread here, but here was the response to an email I sent to AT in mid-June:
( hmmmm....I wonder if any of the parts upgrades could eliminate the hiss problem?)

Thank you for your interest in the P-2000. Here a few of differences
between the Outlaw 950 and the P-2000.

Premium hand selected and calibrated components in the key processing
paths. This includes the main pre-amp, DSP, and Video boards; All caps,
DACs and Output ICs.

Higher grade Op-Amps for improved Signal to Noise Ratio in Direct, Digital,
and in the Analog-DSP inputs.

Higher video bandwidth at (55 MHz).

Higher grade premium power supply for more current stability.

Lower output impedance for increased tolerance with a wider variety of
audiophile cables.

Higher S/N ratio, greater stereo separation and lower stereo distortion in
the FM Tuner section

Lastly, the Atlantic Technology P-2000 features more ergonomically designed
buttons, and is available in a brushed aluminum titanium or black finish at
no additional charge.

Regarding the bass management, our processor works in the same manner as
the Outlaws. The bass management you are referring to is totally different
to the DSP bass from the front panel or remote control that lets you select
different low pass points for all channels.

Dan Rosenberg
Atlantic Technology

#38818 - 07/24/02 02:26 PM Re: Hmmmmm...?
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

Premium hand selected and calibrated components in the key processing paths. This includes the main pre-amp, DSP, and Video boards; All caps, DACs and Output ICs. Higher grade Op-Amps

I don't know about you, but I've never been a fan of paying much of a preumium for hand-selected so-and-so's. Now, if the AT had some new features compared to the 950, in fact, if it had ANY new features compared to the 950, then that would be different. But I don't see anything new. And as far as the specs being better, sometimes this happens because the original specs were too conservative, or because after the unit ships they improve the manufacturing process.

As far as I can tell, the AT and the Outlaw 950 are the same. The big complaints about the 950 that should be relatively easy to fix, like the DPL 2 reset, the bad user interface, not memorizing settings when switching modes, time delay settings being the same on the surround channels, not being able to easily change the subwoofer volume, the very bad AM, and not being able to upgrade the software code, among other issues, are not even addressed. No doubt these are the types of things that could be addressed if in fact, someone were to put out even a slight upgrade to the 950, in my opinion. But no, it's just "premium" parts and better specs. And of course, the AT unit looks different than the 950. That's just marketing. For brand identity. There were all these published pictures of the AT and of the 950 insides on various web sites just after the January CES, and from those pictures, the outside was different, but the internals, down to the capacitors, seemed identical.

It just costs more.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 24, 2002).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts