Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#38785 - 08/01/02 06:55 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
I think the 5300 includes a couple extra protection loops for satellite and cable TV

That’s why I went with the 5300, I really did not buy the unit for a power conditioner. We get incredible light shows here, (lighting). I had never had so many new things at once, and was in a hurry for a one box solution to protect everything including the ‘back door’ for a bad surge, your coaxial cables.
If you pull up Panamax’s site you can line by line compare. If you’ve got a fix for your sat/cable feeds then I think the 5100 is a perfect buy. You really don’t need the meter, (I never look at it) and the top joule # is the same for the 5100 and the 5300. The joule rating is a little higher on the 5500 unit.
I am prob. going to chain a brick wall or similar, (series mode protector Vs MOV protection) in front of the Panamax when I get to it. The brick wall however did not sell a ‘one box’ solution and I was in a hurry.

If it’s okay to post this, here’s a link to this very topic (conditioners) on HTF you might find interesting for the different opinions.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81398

#38786 - 08/02/02 01:28 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
I picked this up from http://www.powersystemsdirect.com/30/183.htm?710

Given the differences, is it worth spending the extra $'s for 5300?

Here is a list of differences between the 5300 and the 5100:
The Max5300 has 11 outlets vs 10, including a front convenience outlet. The 5300 provides protection for 2 satellite and 2 coax lines, vs 1 and 1. This unit has double balanced L filtration circuits vs balanced L circuits. This unit has a analog voltmeter vs a led version. This unit has a DC output trigger. Finally, this unit has a detachable power cord.

#38787 - 08/02/02 11:38 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Is the Panamax 5xxx series sacrificial?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38788 - 08/02/02 01:36 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Desperado

Jimr, don’t know what to say, because its personal choice, the only factors that would influence me, if all else met your needs…do you want the DC outlet trigger, and would you use the convenience outlet? The power cord, well, that’s a feature for me that on all my electronics I’ve only used once. A TV where it went bad and had to be replaced. Otherwise I’d take the money and buy DVD’s 

Matthew, yes according to the Series mode supporters, all MOV are sacrificial. This worries me as I routinely get lots of hits, and how do I judge degradation? (No meter for that). Panamax states (can’t remember wording) that they are using something different/added on the newer models, which is not straight MOV. But it definitely is still not Series mode. If I lived in a region where it was very rare to see your power go on and off, I would not worry about using MOV/Series issue. But I get to hear the concert of chirps/beeps/pops as various do-dad’s in the house power up & down…. very disconcerting.

Since according to Series mode makers, there is no joule rating because the Surge Protector will fry at the same ‘hit’ level that your house wiring will with the additional benefit of no degradation regardless of hits, I think I will add this in.

Nothing will save me on a direct hit, and just last month a house in our area burned down, (lighting strike).
But I want it protected up to the ‘nothing will save you’ point.

#38789 - 08/05/02 04:18 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Does this make a difference? "This unit has double balanced L filtration circuits vs balanced L circuits."

Here is a list of differences between the 5300 and the 5100:
The Max5300 has 11 outlets vs 10, including a front convenience outlet. The 5300 provides protection for 2 satellite and 2 coax lines, vs 1 and 1. This unit has double balanced L filtration circuits vs balanced L circuits. This unit has a analog voltmeter vs a led version. This unit has a DC output trigger. Finally, this unit has a detachable power cord.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited August 05, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#38790 - 08/05/02 04:54 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
Unfortunately I am quite ignorant when it comes to power systems. Maybe someone who understands the term and circuit can provide their opinion on the subject.

#38791 - 08/05/02 05:28 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

I would guess that it means that there's twice as many of some particular doodad in the box.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38792 - 08/06/02 12:15 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Note that:

Quote:
This unit has double balanced L filtration circuits vs balanced L circuits.

has absolutely nothing to do with actual balanced AC. They are talking about "balanced" filters.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#38793 - 08/06/02 02:17 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Is there *any* way to tell whether the MOVs in the Panamax 5xxx are still functioning, and to what extent? Is there a "replace me" light or gauge on it anywhere, or does it just fail after so many hits and you don't know it until the next hit takes out all your stuff?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38794 - 08/06/02 04:12 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Desperado

You definitly get a warning light if the unit is in total failure. But far as I know, no gas gauge type situation, so you know when your headed towards E.

In fairness to MOV, many post it does not degrade as much as is represented by the Series group. It will degrade the most at the first couple of hits then stabilize.
I just live with such frequent lightning, that it concerns me more than most prob need to worry.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM