Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38765 - 07/15/02 11:22 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
eddyboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cave Creek, AZ,USA
For what it is worth, I have had decent results with the Monster HTS2500 which has lots of pretty lights and many plugs which are allegedly specific for different kinds of
hardware (eg amplifiers, dvd's etc)

I have had no issues with sound artifacts or surge problems. I bought it mainly because I live in an area where we have frequent lightning storms. I don't know if absence of problems equals a recommendation, but I guess a proper line conditioner is transparent to your system.

eddyboy

[This message has been edited by eddyboy (edited July 15, 2002).]

#38766 - 07/15/02 12:13 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
bigmac Offline
Gunslinger

If you're buying a $900 pre-amp, several hundred $$$ for a line conditioner may be money better spent elsewhere...

If you have really bad AC, that's one thing. If you just think it's a good idea, you're better off getting a good surge protector, saving the rest for something else.

#38767 - 07/15/02 11:51 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
Kevin: Let me put it another way! Like interconnects, you reach that point where you only get marginal improvements from many of these overprised units. Ive had many opportunities in see and hear some really amazing home theater applications. You might be supprised how many dont have anything more than, say. a panamax 1500. What you will see is, in almost every case, dedicated wiring for the theater with upgrades in the wires themselves. Ive seen some that has such a heavy gauge they want fit into the clips, but has to be screwed on. And, of course, the extra amperage for those power sucking amps we all use. These improvements can be done for very little money and a visit to a local Home Depot. I would be amazed if ANY line conditioner could help as much as doing just that. If you already have those in place, by all means spend the money for those "really cool looking meters". I , for one, will spend my money where I believe it makes the most sense! When I made these changes in my setup, everyone noticed the difference. I havent heard any signs of those menecing ground loops. Just clean and quite. I cant really comment on the video, but I can really tell the difference in the audio, esp operating my M&K subs on its private line.

#38768 - 07/16/02 01:25 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Everett,
I certainly hope that you are not recommending that non-professionals attempt to add electrical circuits to their home wiring. Do I even have to mention what disasterous results might ensue?
Do everyone a favor and please be more careful with what you 'advise'.
I'm not recommending one method over another, but as someone who has dealt with high voltage on a professional level, I would not advise it without extremely tight supervision by a pro.
Mix
Mix

#38769 - 07/16/02 10:38 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
There is a not so modern invention called a "circuit breaker"! But, for those that would not feel comfortable in this, I would, as Kevin has alerted, get a trained perfessional to do this. My point , again, I think all of our money is better served improving what runs through our walls more than an expensive line conditioner. I AM NOT SUGGESTING TO ANYONE TO GO OUT AND DO THIS ON THERE OWN! I am saying to maximize this flow in your walls and you will be amazed!

#38770 - 07/30/02 10:02 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I'll take the PanaMax 5300 and buy the Outlaw 950 with the money I save.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#38771 - 07/31/02 11:58 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Azistoohot Offline
Gunslinger

While I agree that upgrading your electical is good (as is adding a surge suppressor at the panel -- where it's directly next to and connected to earth ground), I bought a line conditioner simply to get the number of outlets up to a reasonable degree. I have two amplifiers, two satellite receivers, a sub, a preamp, a VCR, a TV, and one or two more devices that need to be plugged in. I had two surge suppressor strips, but I was daisy chaining the strips. A line conditioner allows me to plug everything into one location. Also, I rent. It's pretty hard to go about upgrading someone else's electrical system (although I have rewired some of the outlets so that neutral and hot weren't miswired).

#38772 - 07/31/02 12:13 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Is it common for neutral and hot to be backwards?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38773 - 07/31/02 01:58 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
I just looked @ the Panamax 5300. Its max rating is 1800W. I have an Outlaw 750, which is also rated 1800W max. I do not listen to anything super loud. So the question is, can the Panamax 5300 handle the Amp + other A/V stuff I have, which probably totals to another 200W.

#38774 - 07/31/02 02:15 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've had no trouble running a 750, a second amp (Parasound 100Wx2, bridged to mono for a surround back channel), and all the other stuff (TV, 950, CD changer, DVD player, digital cable box, VCR) through a Panamax 5100, which is the 5300's little brother. No problems here.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM