Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38755 - 07/13/02 03:25 PM Which AC line conditioner to get?
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
Hi:

I am seeking advise on which AC line conditioner/surge protector to get for my 950/750 setup. I was considerng tripplite LC2400, but it does not have sequential power on/off feature. I do like its voltage stabilization and individual outlet isolation features. Please advise.

#38756 - 07/13/02 05:31 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
How much money do you want to spend for this?
The Monster Power HTPS-7000 looks pretty cool.?

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#38757 - 07/13/02 05:45 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I'll second Merc's nomination for the Monster 7000. Or, *any* conditioner that uses balanced power. Equi=Tech, Smart, Balanced Power Tech., Furman, etc.

Check out the following for some reviews...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/masterindex_power_conditioners.html

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#38758 - 07/14/02 11:52 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
jimr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
Thanks for the help. I would like to spend no more than $350. After looking at the prices of some of the suggested units, I am wondering if I am going to be just wasting my money getting a sub-$500 unit?

#38759 - 07/14/02 03:15 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
This one is kind of intriguing in the $450 range:

http://www.furmansound.com/AR-1215.html

#38760 - 07/14/02 06:00 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Be aware that a lot of "filters" can actually add distortion to your AC line:

http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp

But in the $350 range, there is Monster, Adcom, Panamax, etc. At the very least you do need surge suppression. Sequential turn-on of components is a nice thing too.

www.b-p-t.com has "cheap" balanced power too.

#38761 - 07/14/02 09:06 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
I think they are important, but fall in the catagory of interconnects. Dont go crazy spending here. For what spme people spend on these (like GRAY Power for example) you could do something that would be REALLY good . Like runing a dedication 20amp circuit for your theater void of all those cremlins you might get with all those lights , the family appliances etc. I do this with 1 dedicated line for amps alone and another for video components. Pick up a reasonable unit like a panamax or furman entry level unit and do the above. I think your money would be spent more wisely. A local engineer I know here in the bay area always tells me, " just give me a nice tight secure contact from the device to the plug, hospital grade of course, and everything should be fine".

#38762 - 07/14/02 10:26 PM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Hello All,
If you have 'hospital grade' wiring in your home then you've got no problem. Otherwise a good power conditioner is a valuable addition to your system. I decided on the Monster HTS5000 MkII. It offers a good balance of features (sequential switching, isolated outlets, in and out for cable tv and telephone lines, etc.)for the money. I didnt' realize how 'dirty' the power was in my house until I installed it. It cleaned up all ground loops and RFI noise. It supports my gear pretty well. I run 3 amps and six components through it. I use one of the smaller Monster units on the outlet that I use for my television and satellite receiver. Everything is filtered and surge protected. We all value our equipment. A good power conditioner provides a little piece of mind and protection for our gear.
I wouldn't have believed it, but my bass response improved after installing the Monster. It appears to give my amps a more consistent, cleaner supply to draw from. Until next time,
Mix
( I payed about $600.00 for the HTS5000 Mk II)

#38763 - 07/15/02 12:17 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Townhouse Offline
Gunslinger

Cinepro.com has a beautiful new power conditioner for $449. It includes delay and even has a cable ground isolator.

I am currently looking for a high-quality surge supressor that does not use MOVs. Smart-cinema.com has a very expensive series that use Transzorb diodes. I also found non-MOV units at ZeroSurge.com.

Does anybody know where I can get ZeroSurge units at discount prices? Thanks!

#38764 - 07/15/02 02:54 AM Re: Which AC line conditioner to get?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

TH- www.brickwall.com might be what you're looking for...

Everett- Be careful in assuming that AC power conditioners can be lumped into the same catagory as interconnects. Check out the reviews at www.hometheaterhifi.com. They show that balanced power helps to reduce jitter in a crappy portable DVD player.

And if you look through Equi=tech's site, www.equitech.com, somewhere they say that peak jitter is reduced by 2/3 and average jitter is reduced by 1/2 using balanced power. That is real results. No simple "filter" can claim that...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM