Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#38721 - 07/22/02 03:42 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
As Merc says, although the hiss from his 950 isn't too bad on his system, his 950 might hiss alot more on someone else's system, if he sells his 950 to someone else.

#38722 - 07/22/02 03:51 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
werner52 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND USA
MERC
Flame suit on.

Quote:
posted April 09, 2002 11:38 AM - In the meantime, I'm just continuing to enjoy my beta unit which has none of these problems...

posted May 09, 2002 12:57 PM - BTW, this past weekend, I listened to a Krell/B&W system and guess what... hiss at the tweeter but not from 2 inches away... just like my 950.

posted June 04, 2002 10:43 AM - The newest 1066 had almost identical hiss, none from >4 inches from speaker fabric, to the 950, as we demonstrated in the local Rotel dealer's showroom.

posted June 05, 2002 10:40 AM - BTW, my 950 is still going strong and operating perfectly. I feel very bad for those folks who are having hiss or other problems. I really wish I could figure out how to solve their problems so that they too could enjoy their 950 as much as I'm enjoying mine.

posted June 23, 2002 12:36 PM - Yesterday, I just had my 950 blow its' third fuse. The one that is blowing is the fuse just inside the unit next to the power cord hookup.

It appears that your problem resides in the 950 blowing fuses? I haven't found a post you've made stating that your 950 has developed a hiss problem (As it may well have or I cannot find that post of yours). I believe in the latest newsletter that OUTLAW sent out that the ear by the tweeter listening for hiss test doesn't hold water in their opinion (Unless your listening position is 4 inches from your speakers ).

[This message has been edited by werner52 (edited July 22, 2002).]

#38723 - 07/22/02 05:56 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Yeah baby! Another fan... Werner, I love you too man!

By posting your own quotes of me, you have also documented that my unit has hiss. Thank you. Since it has been noted that Outlaw is fixing this problem, it obviously follows that I'd want my hiss fixed too. Just because it isn't bothersome now, doesn't mean that it might not be louder with my next set of more sensitive speakers. Why wouldn't I want the very best unit I could get? Are you saying you'd accept a lesser unit than the rest of us?

It is hard for me to understand what is so hard for you to understand about wanting to get hiss fixed in a 950? For more info, go back and re-read my previous posts or simply read Will's post above.

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#38724 - 07/22/02 06:25 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

Werner,
Right on. That guy has a lot of nerve looking for a new unit after the hundreds of posts touting the 950 to be the next best thing to ice cream. It's down right hypocritical, and a few other things I'm too polite to mention.

#38725 - 07/22/02 07:36 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
Right on. That guy has a lot of nerve looking for a new unit after the hundreds of posts touting the 950 to be the next best thing to ice cream. It's down right hypocritical, and a few other things I'm too polite to mention.
MM:First, the only nerve I have is the one you just pricked with your oh so polite busybody post.

If anybody deserves the very best 950 that anyone can get it is US beta testers. We've had to endure continuous nasty negative, and ignorant bullshit from folks, just like you, over almost the past year just because we voiced our honest warranted opinions on the 950s we tested. I still stand behind every single 950 word I posted as being true and applicable to the unit at the time I posted it. I could live with the slight hiss that my unit has, but I'll be damned if I have to... we deserve the BEST final units, not the worse. You may believe that no good deed should go unpunished, but Outlaw doesn't.

Now, you have the unmitigated nerve to say we don't deserve the true fixed, final 950, because we beta tested the 950 and then posted our experience? HA! Sorry, but it just ain't gonna happen. In fact, I sincerely hope I get the unit otherwise intended for you.

[This message has been edited by merc (edited July 22, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#38726 - 07/22/02 07:47 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
Asx Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
Quote:
There is absolutly no reason why the Outlaws should replace non-defective 950's simply because someone 'wants' the latest software upgrades.

The hiss problem is widely known and, what's more important, is confirmed by Outlaws. If I were an owner of a non-hissing 950, it would still make me a very uncomfortable owner because every change to the system (speakers, amp) can potentially bring the problem up. I thik Outlaws must replace (at least on demand) every unit that's been sold with potential hiss problem. If you wish to compare the situation to the automotive market, you can call it "recall."

[This message has been edited by Asx (edited July 22, 2002).]

#38727 - 07/22/02 09:15 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
EWC Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have a solution to everyones problem: Go buy the 1066. It does everything it's supposed to do, minus the hiss. I got mine at a local dealer for $1250, not much more than the 950. I had been waiting for the 950 since Jan., couldn't wait any longer.

I suspect the problem with the 950 is a supplier issue, not an engineering issue, the outlaws seem to be pretty sharp people. I would bet something in the production 950 has changed from the beta 950 (chip availabilty)? unknown to the outlaws until it was too late. This is all pure speculation of coarse.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 755 and think it's great with the Rotel. The outlaws have unfortunatly got caught in the middle of this mess. I truly hope this can be resolved in a timely manner.

#38728 - 07/22/02 10:16 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
werner52 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND USA
Merc
Quote:
In fact, I sincerely hope I get the unit otherwise intended for you.

That has to be a classic.
Merc, I am feeling the love.

Honestly, I have agreed with a lot of your posts and do thank you for your time as a beta tester. If you need to return your unit then by all means do so. And long and behold I'm sure you will receive your replacement prior to any of us on the waiting list.

I still haven't found your statement or statements of your unit possessing hiss as deemed a problem by OUTLAWS:
Quote:
We consider the "ear in the tweeter" method an unrealistic test, and if that is what is causing a problem for you, we are unable to help. If you don't hear the problem under reasonable listening conditions, as is the case for the vast majority of Model 950 owners, you are fine. There is no need to do anything other than enjoy the sound of great movies and music. This is NOT a problem that appears over time; so don't worry about it appearing later if you don't hear it at first.

You stated yourself
Quote:
Regardless of the fact that my hiss is only audible from 4 inches or less, it may not be so on different gear in the next owners HT.

I may be wrong but if I were OUTLAW I'd be worried how it sounds on your gear NOW. Not someone else's who you are planning to sell your 950 too.

Sorry if you felt I razzed ya

[This message has been edited by werner52 (edited July 22, 2002).]

#38729 - 07/22/02 11:25 PM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Hello All!
I didn't really mean to start a s***storm, but I felt that Merc was asking for a new unit to fix a problem, that according to his own posts,he doesn't have. ( yes, I did go back and read previous posts because I don't like to say things in error). As far as the unit causing problems to someone that you sell it to, Scott said that it is not a problem that develops over time. You either have it, or you don't. Unless you are listening through bricks, the difference in speaker sensitivity is a non-issue.
Further, I could say that rather than being lauded with special treatment as a beta tester, we non beta testers might be a little pissed because you didn't find the hiss problem in beta. Everything was just fine! Now it's not? Tough.
And yes, I guess I'm a little irritable on Mondays.
Mix

#38730 - 07/23/02 12:09 AM Re: I know patience is a virtue, but.....
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Honestly? If I had a 950 now? (Haven't ordered yet; waiting for the hiss problem to get fixed.) Even if I *didn't* have the hiss problem? I would *still* say that I did, just to get the latest and greatest. Because even if mine didn't hiss, in a few years when I turn it over for the next "latest and greatest", it might hiss on the next person's system.

Plus, it is common knowledge that Rotel has been putting out software upgrades fast and furious for the 1066, and I do believe that both the 1066 and 950 share the same Cirrus DSP engine. (Different DACs, ADCs, video portion, but same DSP as far as I know.)

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM