Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#38594 - 08/07/02 03:41 PM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Az- If *you* had an open mind, you'd actually try a sound level meter before trying to come up with a whole bunch of excuses why it *doesn't* work.

I bet your the same guy who refuses to use a thermometer to measure a human's temperature too because:

1) Each person has their own inherent body temp, so how can you know what yours should be anyway?

2) Each thermometer is manufactured ever so slightly differently than any other (manufacturing tolerances) so how could you ever know that the real temperature is what you're measuring?

3) How do you account for the "contact resistance" of the thermometer against the object you're trying to measure? Each person's skin *does* have a different ability to cool itself which affects that variable.

4) As we all know, thermometers measure differently according to ambient temp, humidity, and barometric pressure. Hmmm... Got to take those into account too.

Yet in spite of the fact of how unaccurate I just proved a thermometer to be, they have been used for decades to measure a human's body temperature.

*Don't* use a sound level meter. Don't matter none to me, or the countless others who have gotten good results with one.

BTW, I like fresh broccali with a little melted cheese on top...

[This message has been edited by Kevin C Brown (edited August 07, 2002).]

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#38595 - 08/07/02 03:42 PM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
BenjaminKing Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: VIsta,CA,USA
I for one have greatly benefited from using an SPL meter, like 99% of you out there that have actually used one. I found that my sub settings were WAY to high (about 10 dbs)!

One thing that is slightly off subject, but not really - some of my friends (non A/V types) have occasionaly commented that they think my bass is too low. What they fail to understand is that when you turn the volume up, the bass also goes up. One of my friends inherited my first sub (Polk 10" - not bad), and he likes the settings WAY too high. He likes to hear his thumping bass, even at lower volumes. When he turns it up, the bass is out of control! So when he comes to my house, and puts on some bass-heavy music, he complains that it is too light. Then I proceed to turn the volume way up, and suddenly the bass is slamming!

I have noticed that in my A/V maturation process, bass has become quiter and quiter in my home. That is not to say that I don't like it, or don't have it - I have 2 15" subs in my family room! It's just that six years ago, I would have had the gain on the subs turned 3/4 the way up, and the sub level in my receiver at +5dbs.

When I measured my system with the meter, I found that at reference level (105 db peaks), my subs were putting out close to 115 dbs! I never (ok, rarely) listen to movies that loud (ok, once a week), as I find that smaller rooms like my 15' by 18' family room are uncomfortable at that volume.

The great thing about my subs, though, was that they were still cool, collected, and sounding great!

------------------
Benjamin King
benjaminking@yahoo.com

#38596 - 08/07/02 07:13 PM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Dave
Regarding #2. You mean one last grand finale so that we will never forget mans' most endearing characteristic (messy).

Azryan: I should edit my post way back, but you got it. I meant to type trying it pointed at each speaker instead of the ceiling. And I will next time I calibrate to see what I can see.

Matthew, I really think you’re in trouble here. To save yourself from broccoli lovers you may need to resort to the presidential method. Acquire Secret Service Agents to police those florets right off your table!

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited August 07, 2002).]

#38597 - 08/07/02 08:26 PM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Az,

Sorry, he who speaks from conjecture and not fact (since you have never tried an SPL meter) doesn't have any standing regarding the accuracy of using said SPL meter.

Until you actually use one, nothing you can say will change anyone's mind, especially mine.

I also use a calibrated mic with an MLS based software system to measure many of my rooms acoustic variables so I have a baseline to evaluate any changes I make.

This gives me RT60 echo values, impulse response graphs, frequency response graphs, phase graphs, waterfall plots of frequency over time, exact distance from mic to each speaker.

With these I can identify surfaces causing early reflections, adjust my paramtric EQ to reduce room mode bass peaks, adjust the blend of my sub to mains through an active external xover (symmetrical L/R -24db slope), etc.

And guess what? I still use the SPL meter plus VE DVD to balance the output levels of my 5.1 speakers.

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited August 07, 2002).]

#38598 - 08/07/02 10:04 PM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
Bstan:
Well said. What software are you using?
Mix

#38599 - 08/07/02 10:49 PM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
My sound level meter has a silver ear- not quite golden, but close enough.

#38600 - 08/08/02 11:17 AM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Has anyone else noticed that Azryan's posts tend to come in pairs? Hmm... Could it be a conspiracy?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38601 - 08/08/02 11:58 AM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
BenjaminKing Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: VIsta,CA,USA
I tried to calibrate my system last night while pointing the meter in different directions. I tried straight up, down, at the TV, and at each speaker. Guess what changed? Nothing. I guess it really is an omni-directional mic. This isn't a guess, mind you; I actually did this in my house.

------------------
Benjamin King
benjaminking@yahoo.com

#38602 - 08/08/02 12:28 PM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Mix,

I started out a few years ago with ETF4 and then upgraded to ETF5 last year.

etf website

This software is quite accurate, measuring to 1/12 octave precision.

#38603 - 08/08/02 04:24 PM Re: Best $40 on HT you'll ever spend
AndersP Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Porsgrunn, Norway
Azryan: You´re a bad boy now. Go home!
But before you do, see here what fun you can have with some inexpensive toys:

http://www27.brinkster.com/jmag999/

Life is about playing with cool stuff, right?

Smart Little Lena: You´re so funny! Keep on it!

\\Anders

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM