Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#38501 - 08/13/02 07:41 PM Re: What up...?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
Um, because you're biased, like it or not? If the differences are signifcant as is often claimed, a double blind test (ABX or not) will show it.

Charlie

I agree....unfortunately the differences in electronics are pretty slim nowdays, but some would like to believe they are huge. I personally haven't taken an ABX type test: generally if I hear something wrong, then something IS wrong.

#38502 - 08/13/02 07:56 PM Re: What up...?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Using some form of "blind testing" to make a purchasing decision for a piece of audio equipment comes up constantly. Other than Brianca, I have yet to see where someone actually posted that they had made their buying decision based on a blind test of some sort or another. Maybe I missed it. Lots of theory on how it should be done out there, but even the proponents seem to have made their purchases based on other factors- like making their choice with both eyes open. So let's please drop this blind testing BS. I don't think anybody here is gonna go that way. What fun would that be, anyway? Whether we like to admit it or not, there are a whole bunch of other factors that influence our buying decisions- not just what we hear. Besides, how would you feel when they pulled the curtain back and you discover your golden ears just selected the new Audiovox pre/pro (intro priced @$99.95)

#38503 - 08/13/02 08:00 PM Re: What up...?
Maximum7 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Wa. USA
Whoa! I guess when I started this topic my whole and sole point was... why can't they make a super featured pre-pro that sells for under say, $4000.00 or even three. If manufacturers can make a "loaded" reciever with amps binding posts then why can't they make a pre-pro with out the amps etc.. but with loaded features for the same price? They save money on the amp part don't they? I'm not saying you don't get better sound and purer circuitry with separetes, I'm counting on that you will, thus my move to separates, but you should be able to get all the "features" because they don't have to put in amplification. If you can hear the difference then good if you can not then good, but to argue how everybody should think is pointless.

#38504 - 08/13/02 08:01 PM Re: What up...?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by steves:
how would you feel when they pulled the curtain back and you discover your golden ears just selected the new Audiovox pre/pro (intro priced @$99.95)

Personally, I'd probably still buy the more expensive brand, but more for build quality, or reliability.

#38505 - 08/13/02 08:01 PM Re: What up...?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
Um, because you're biased, like it or not?
'tis true. I AM biased and always secretly root for the lower priced component to sound better or the same as the higher priced one. Sometimes, I get my wish, other times I do not. Still, since I am paying for the unit, I'd rather go with my biases and not other persons, and pick the unit that I think sounds best. Is that so hard to understand?

Quote:
If the differences are signifcant as is often claimed, a double blind test (ABX or not) will show it.
So. If I understand correctly... are you suggesting that you'd spend $600 to ABX test and get the same results you could get with careful crossover listening, just because you feel you are too biased to trust your opinions based on carefully listening?
merc\'s primary system

#38506 - 08/13/02 08:17 PM Re: What up...?
charlie Offline
Desperado

No. If I was concerned I'd do a simple double blind test for free - assuming my time is worthless, of course. But IMO if I just stick with well designed equipment from good manufacturers I'll get good results. That has always been the case, sonicly at least.

But maybe I have a tin ear. Personally I think distortion, noise, response and a few other easily measured quantities (depending on the device) can adequately quantify whether the device will be acceptable to me or not. That and the gut feel I get about the general construction of the unit (which is a not sonic thing) tells me all I generally need to know. So I like well made equipment - sue me.

The human ear has finite resolution. This is a fact some 'philes can't get their head around.

Charlie

#38507 - 08/13/02 10:45 PM Re: What up...?
merc Offline
Desperado

Quote:
The human ear has finite resolution.
Of course, I agree. I also agree that any component that exceeds that audible resolution is overkill and a waste of money. So, if you can't hear it, IMO, it is irrelevant to you. If you can't hear a difference, then don't buy it.
merc\'s primary system

#38508 - 08/14/02 12:17 PM Re: What up...?
charlie Offline
Desperado

I guess I just don't need to assure myself that 'x' sounds better than 'y' to buy 'x'. If I like 'x' better, for whatever reason, and that is what I'll probably get.

To put it into perspective, it's been a long time since I heard a bad sounding piece of high fidelity equipment. I've never heard a bad sounding one that measured well.

Charlie

#38509 - 08/14/02 12:38 PM Re: What up...?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
I. I've never heard a bad sounding one that measured well.

Charlie

But there are components like single ended triode tube amps that sound good, yet measure badly....sorry, just throwing fuel into the flames!

#38510 - 08/14/02 03:54 PM Re: What up...?
merc Offline
Desperado

Quote:
To put it into perspective, it's been a long time since I heard a bad sounding piece of high fidelity equipment. I've never heard a bad sounding one that measured well.
I just don't have the osilliscopes or gear to actually measure what I hear. I can run Spectraplus, as I do for EQing my sub, but I don't know why I'd do that for a preamp? As for hearing a bad sounding piece of gear, I guess that is all relative to me. A new piece of gear could sound bad or better than your most previous piece of gear depending on what that last piece of gear was... many folks like the sound of their B&K Ref 30s. I found it veiled and rolled off sounding. IMO, we both are right.
merc\'s primary system

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts