Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#38471 - 08/11/02 03:19 AM Re: What up...?
Maximum7 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Wa. USA
I just got my issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater and their review of Pioneers' 49tx said that it was outstanding. Maybe I should re-think the seperates route. Soundpros.com carries it for like $2,500.00. I don't think that they are authorized but they treated my friends like gold when they bought stuff off of there and they do honor the manufactures full warranty. Hell, that's a great price to use it as a pre-pro even.

#38472 - 08/11/02 04:02 AM Re: What up...?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
It's a fine receiver, but they weren't comparing the receiver to a pre/pro. Generally speaking, dedicated pre/pro's do a better job as a pre/pro, than receivers used as a pre/pro. That's been my experience over the years. Quite a few people who bought Denon super receivers a few years back, are slowly but surely moving to separates. Often, first they buy external amps and use the Denon receiver as a pre/pro. Next, they buy a dedicated pre/pro to replace the Denon receiver (used as a pre/pro).

#38473 - 08/11/02 10:20 AM Re: What up...?
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
I've been using the 1050 as a pre/pro. It's done an excellent job, but I'm ready to move on.
Mix

#38474 - 08/11/02 10:25 PM Re: What up...?
mojoman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Depending on when the 950 starts shipping again , the *3803* might be viable competition for a receiver-as-a-pre/pro...

or perhaps the 3804.....

#38475 - 08/12/02 01:34 AM Re: What up...?
Maximum7 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Wa. USA
But are the pre-pros better as far as features? I wonder. he 49tx has neat things like seperate 7.1 inputs, one bypass and one to work with dsp and bass management. It also has a trim level and eq. for each channel on that input. Plus a manual or automatic set up and calibration that takes into account room boundries and stuff.
Now I ask, what pre-pro under $5000.00 grand has that or anything like it.

#38476 - 08/12/02 02:33 AM Re: What up...?
Will Offline
Desperado

Super-receivers have more features than budget pre/pro's that concentrate on sound quality first, and on features second. Many people bought super-receivers by Denon and other brands, a few years ago, and are now buying pre/pro's and amplifiers, preferring separates (even budget separates like Outlaw, Rotel, etc.) to getting another super-receiver.

More receivers are sold than separates, but I think most people who have owned both receivers and separates, sometime in their lives, end up preferring the sound quality of separates. Receivers have their advantages. They often take less room, have more features, are easier to assemble and cost less than separates. Many many people who end up getting separates, got a super-receiver, first.

If you want all the latest features at a good price, get a super-receiver. But if you want better sound quality than a super-receiver, and can live with less features since afterall price is an issue, I'd recommend looking into a BUDGET separates system, from brands like Outlaw or Rotel. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Will (edited August 12, 2002).]

#38477 - 08/12/02 10:28 PM Re: What up...?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I don't think there'd be much if any difference in sound quality between a "reasonably priced" pre/pro and one of the top-of-the-line receivers.

Yeah, units of equal price, I'd take the pre/pro, but the only way I can imagine a > $3000 receiver could compete with a $900 or $1250 pre/pro is if it could actually compete on sound quality too.

The professional mag reviews tend to back that up.

I had a $800 Yamaha receiver-as-a-pre/pro before my Sony pre/pro (4 yrs ago even). I didn't think there was that much difference in sound quality. And I much preferred the DSP processing in the Yamaha.

And the Yamaha didn't "hiss" either...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#38478 - 08/13/02 01:09 AM Re: What up...?
Will Offline
Desperado

Quote:

I don't think there'd be much if any difference in sound quality between a "reasonably priced" pre/pro and one of the top-of-the-line receivers.

If the receiver is the weakest link in your system, chances are you would hear an improvement in sound quality. There are many people who once owned top-of-the-line Denon receivers mated to an amplifier, singing the praises of a "reasonably priced" Outlaw or Rotel pre/pro, after they switched.
Quote:

The professional mag reviews tend to back that up.

Maybe I missed it. I haven't seen a magazine review that says a top-of-the-line receiver sounds as good as "reasonably priced" pre/pro's from Rotel or Outlaw. The top-of-the-line receivers often have more features.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited August 13, 2002).]

#38479 - 08/13/02 12:08 PM Re: What up...?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Keep in mind that the whole issue of which unit 'sounds better' is a holdover from the vacuum tube days of the 1950s when there *were* definite differences in the sound of units. This was because of differing topologies such as triode verses tetrode/pentodes. With solid state, and especially with everyone basicly using the same chip sets now, units all sound very similiar. Of course the advertisers would love to make you believe there are differences. Don't believe me? Try a blindfold test with someone else doing the switching.

#38480 - 08/13/02 12:18 PM Re: What up...?
charlie Offline
Desperado

But that takes the fun away!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts