Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#38438 - 08/16/02 12:54 PM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I have to point out, that I too was attempting to look at the Davis Labs offering last year. You have to attribute to the Outlaw’s the sheer courage of putting up with their own forum. A necessary evil for a company which sells direct. Do you think an in-house forum for the Processor One, would sound similar to Outlaw’s forum (on a bad day) after all this time.
From Davis, in all these months till the prior post, my sole store of information on this product was one picture on the web site, with an intriguing laundry list of features. And an aging CES nod.

Outlaw gets second by second scrutiny of their in-house development process. I have a tendency to surf the electronics and semiconductors parts suppliers and developers occasionally to try and read the future. Its amazing how many mentions you find when you do this of a company like Texas Instruments, or Cirrus Logic, who announce working with an end producer of an A/V product, incorporating their almost developed XXX part, estimated TTM the fall of next year. You realize you’ve just seen the discussed product mentioned in some A/V news web site such as S&V. S&V mentions if on schedule the product is due in stores the next few months from the A/V Company, and then I realize the Semi-Conductors web article is dated from 2 years ago!

I don’t know anyone who owns the new Davis lab unit yet. I have a 950. Everytime I run into articles such as these it appears to me, Outlaw is doing what the industry does, just under a grinding spotlight beamed at them by an uneducated consumer.

#38439 - 08/16/02 01:22 PM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
charlie Offline
Desperado

Well I guess we know what you think of US!

Seriously, good points.

Charlie

#38440 - 08/16/02 04:04 PM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Fosgate was really big in the early 90's with their Dolby Pro Logic stuff. Nice to see them again.

More competition can only be a good thing for everyone.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#38441 - 08/16/02 04:40 PM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Fosgate + Dolby= DPLll!
Is this the Pre/Pro that is supposed to come with tube output stages- or something?

#38442 - 08/16/02 05:39 PM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
No tubes, more Digital...tech.

Go back to the first page of this topic there is a link to Davislab.com with pic and specs. It sore looks purty, but I have not seen any activity on it in months.

ekk, Steves, just realized you asked about the Fosgate, I have not looked at that one!

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited August 16, 2002).]

#38443 - 08/16/02 08:49 PM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Since this thread has wandered in every direction possible I thought it would be OK to ask now. Does anyone else see this thread and think of the spice Cumin? Makes me think of Mexican food everytime I come to the Outlaw Forum.

#38444 - 08/16/02 09:35 PM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Is this the Pre/Pro that is supposed to come with tube output stages- or something?
Yup, with Babingga wood paneling no less! Here's a press blurb about it from June 2001:

Fosgate Audionics has planned a special vacuum tube surround sound unit, the FAP-V1 ($7,499), to be available in January of 2002. This is a very limited availability product under the Jim Fosgate Signature series. Using the new Dolby Pro Logic II specification, for now this is the only tubed unit set to appear in the market. Of course the FAP-V1 will playback normal 2-channel stereo as well as have the ability to decode analog surround sound to a 5.1-channel output via the Pro Logic II system. Some of the features within this unit include center width adjustment, bass blend and equalization. The FAP-V1 also includes a three year parts/labor and labor warranty. Some of the preliminary specifications are:

Model Number: FAP-V1
Description: Vacuum tube Pre-amplifier with 5.1 channel surround sound and Dolby Pro Logic II decoder
Frequency Response: TBA
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): TBA
Cabinet: Copper and Babingga Wood
Dimensions: 10.22" x 19.87" x 15.14" (HxWxD)
Processor Type: Dolby Pro-Logic II
Preamplifier Circuitry: Vacuum Tube

For a pic, go here , you'll have to scroll down to mid-page. It's quite the looker!

Best,
Sanjay

#38445 - 08/17/02 01:51 AM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
Maximum7 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Wa. USA
Actually the pre-pro that I was talking about, and got a response letter from Fosgate (see above), is called the FAPT-1 It has a normal metal chassis but has a 5" display in the middle of it. Kind of like ATI's pre-pro. And, as also mentioned above, it will go for $3,000.00. There is an ad for it in the Sept. issue of Stereophiles' Guide to Home Theater, page 77 to be exact.
I would really like to have a ballpark estimate about when Outlaw's more expensive pre will be out. (course we're still in the outfield on this one it seems). I thought originally they stated like twice the price, which is still reasonable for me. I would hold off if it was in the near future.

#38446 - 08/17/02 02:23 AM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by minuteman:
Davis Labs is a Korean Company dedicated to digital technology, however the Processor One which isn't available yet will be priced above your posted price of $3000.00. It will be carried here by AV123, the same company that carries Perpetual Technology room correction gear and high end DAC's as well as the ever popular Onix Rockets speakers.

I may have given out some misinformation inadvertantly regarding the proposed pricing of the Davis Labs Processor One. It seems it will indeed be priced in the $3500.00 area. Sorry about that. It is still being worked on though and no release date is set as yet.

#38447 - 08/18/02 12:15 AM Re: I smell a newsletter a cumin!
Maximum7 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Wa. USA
Gee minuteman, that was really nice and honest of you.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts