Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#38172 - 07/02/02 03:41 AM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Will,

Thanks for the response. I have the bass level at max for the CD input. As far as I know thats the only adjustment for bass levels. I prefer not to use my sub for 2 channel stereo because my speakers are more than capable to generate enough bass for music. I just cant understand why I can't get more bass from the 950. I have been reading reviews that say it sounds awesome musically thats why I'm perplexed. I really don't want to go through the hassle of selling this but I don't think I can live with the stereo sound the way it is.

Thanks,
Ricky

#38173 - 07/02/02 04:53 AM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Do you always need the sub in order to get acceptable bass in HT? Are you able to get bass in 5.1 (or 7.1) when you do not use a subwoofer?

The problem isn't the analog bass management toggle switch, in back, is it? It filters out everything under 80 Hz, and redirects it to the sub, when you play stereo CD's using your analog input.

#38174 - 07/02/02 11:07 AM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

Will,

Yes, I get really good bass from the sub in movies. I think that bass mgmnt switch only applies to 5.1 direct input from other sources. I tried that switch anyways for the hell of it and it didn't make any difference.

I have big towers and it's capable of handling bass on 2 channel stereo. They sounded great in my old setup, I had an old carver stereo preamp. The problem is that the bass coming out using the 950 is not even half of what the carver had. So it sounds really thin and wussy. Do you know what I mean? I was thinking last night of just going with an audiophile quality A/B switch if it's cheaper than buying a Rotel. Do you know of any good brands?

thanks
Ricky

#38175 - 07/02/02 12:04 PM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
srfdude Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oceanside, CA
rmbg, unfortunately I can't offer anything constructive here, only that with my 950, the bass is one of the best features. I previously had a Kinergetics/Chiro pre-pro, so this 950 replaces some pretty good company. Either you:
A. Have a defective unit
B. Have a faulty set-up
C. Have some other defective piece (amp, speakers, etc.
There is no reason you have to use a separate preamp to get your bass. Recheck your setup, maybe contact Outlaw for a replacement unit.
Mike

#38176 - 07/02/02 12:11 PM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
bstan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Have you tried defining your main speakers as Large, not small for CD 2-channel playback? Sorry, just noticed you stated Large in your first post.

If you use 2-channel analog bypass for CD (analog-out from CD player), set the mains to Large, set the sub to yes, and set the xover to whatever, you will get "double-bass", i.e. the same bass frequencies from both your mains and the sub.

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited July 02, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by bstan (edited July 02, 2002).]

#38177 - 07/02/02 12:57 PM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The lack of bass does seem like an odd problem, especially if you've cranked the bass up to full. Have you given the Outlaws a call and picked their brains any yet? I would suspect that they've been reading this thread, and they may have some ideas to offer.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#38178 - 07/02/02 03:29 PM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Guys, RM's problems are exactly the same as I've experienced. I think when he refers to lack of bass, he's hearing a lack of timbral fullness like I am. In other words when you hear a piano recording, its as if the piano is set up at the beach instead of the concert hall where all the fullness and richness are gone and you just hear the surface tinkling of the keys.

I HAVE tried bass to full and engaging the sub. Even though I have a very musical sub, it doesn't make up for the severe lack of fullness in the sound but does help in some cases.

I also have full range speakers capable of tight and deep bass, so having to engage the sub points to problems elsewhere. When I had my cheapo Rotel pre/pro, the sound was very full and I never had the sub engaged.

Its just so weird that DD and DTS sound so full and "right" and 2 channel sounds so thin and "wrong". Maybe it is a defect we're both experiencing since I don't see how anyone could be satisfied with the 2 channel sound as I'm hearing it. Unless either they are used to poor quality components, or if they only listen to music in DLPII or NEO6 (which does give a fuller sound, but mucks up the presentation).

Scott - if you're listening - could it be that we both have defective units?

#38179 - 07/02/02 04:14 PM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
Scott Offline
Desperado

rmbg,

Your speakers are rolling off a portion of the last octave of bass which could cause the type of spectral tilt in signal reproduction you are describing. We've looked at the manufacturer's specifications on these speakers and you are down 6 dB at 30 Hz. I would encourage you to try setting these speakers to "small" and use the 60 Hz crossover, to allow your sub to reproduce this last octave. I would suspect that movies would sound equally thin without a sub.

HT Crazed please feel free to e-mail me more information about your setup so we can see if you are having a problem.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited July 02, 2002).]

#38180 - 07/02/02 04:15 PM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Ricky (rmbg),

Since you have towers that handle low bass when you used your old (non-950) pre/pro, and since stereo with no sub on the 950 has poor bass but fine highs and mids, I wonder how the 950 sounds on 5 channels when the 950 is told NOT to use your subwoofer. In other words, when using DD or DTS with no sub and the mains set to full, does the bass come out, or is it still missing?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 02, 2002).]

#38181 - 07/02/02 04:38 PM Re: New 950 owner needs some help...
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

Will,

When I use the 5 stereo mode without the sub, it still sounds the same from those towers. As an experiment I asked my friend to bring in the rotel 1066. I tried my carver preamp, onkyo 575 and the rotel. All three can produce the fullness that the 950 is missing. Even the measly 75W channel onkyo. I haven't tried listening to movies without the sub, I will try that tonight.

I agree with HT, opting to use a sub when the towers are more than capable of producing the sound is pointing to a different problem. I also don't understand how the reviewers can rave about the musicality with this type of sound. This too leads me to believe that there must be some kind of defect.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts