Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#37914 - 07/03/02 03:17 PM Who would be interested in having their 950's faceplate brushed aluminum instead?
power Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Just a thought but i was thinking that everything has gone over well with my Antec retrofit project on the AVS forum that i may have the painted finish removed from my 950's faceplate and in turn have a brushed aluminum finish applied to the faceplate then have it anodised. The "refined" or "high end" look is what i am after. Then all the lettering/logos would be silkscreened back on. I'm thinking if there are enough people interested this can be done for $50 or so(maybe less). Is anyone else interested?

First i (others as well) have to wait for fixed units to arrive.

Second, i have to have permission from the Outlaws to have this done and to ensure the warranty will not be void.

Thirdly, i have to make certain that the TYPE of aluminum used on the 950 is suitable or can be anodised (dyed).

Many people have mentionned they would prefer the anodised finish including myself as opposed to the powdercoated finish. Rather than spend a few hundred more for the AT or Sherbourn processors then this can be done as a group fairly cheap but with absolute professional results. In the next month, this may be something that i will consider undertaking.

#37915 - 07/03/02 04:09 PM Re: Who would be interested in having their 950's faceplate brushed aluminum instead?
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by power:
... Is anyone else interested?

Not I. I like the current look. Goes well with the rest of my system. A light color wouldn't.

Quote:
... i have to make certain that the TYPE of aluminum used on the 950 is suitable or can be anodised (dyed). ...

I believe that it's already anodised & not painted. At least the finish looks identical to the finish on the 1050 and that is anodised.

Just my thoughts ... since you asked.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#37916 - 07/03/02 04:20 PM Re: Who would be interested in having their 950's faceplate brushed aluminum instead?
power Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Pat,

sure no problem. The finish on the 950 is not anodised aluminum (hardened and dyed black, silver, gold, ?) but painted. The colour will not be lighter then the present black, the faceplate will be as black or even a deeper/darker black.

I can sorta live with the 950's current looks don't get me wrong or i would not have purchased this piece but there is a definite room for improvment here that can be acheived at a reasonable cost.

[This message has been edited by power (edited July 03, 2002).]

#37917 - 07/03/02 05:11 PM Re: Who would be interested in having their 950's faceplate brushed aluminum instead?
ghs1998 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: old greenwich, ct usa
i would like to see the faceplate in silver. Or maybe even that deep, darker black. If we do this, the question will be how much blacker can we get? and the answer is none, none more black

#37918 - 07/03/02 05:17 PM Re: Who would be interested in having their 950's faceplate brushed aluminum instead?
bng Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA USA
Sounds interesting. What are you going to do with the buttons and volume knob? Wondering if it will look odd if you leave the buttons black.

#37919 - 07/07/02 06:07 PM Re: Who would be interested in having their 950's faceplate brushed aluminum instead?
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
I would certainly be interested in having a metal-silver face plate. If that's what your intending count me in. Or if you know of any way that I could do it myself I would certainly be interested. Just about all of my gear is a silver or champaign finish (with the exception of my Integra 6.2) It looks great in the BDI maple and glass racks...and sets off my Natural Cherry Paridigm Monitor 9's, and 3's that make up my HT system. (Not to mention that the girlfriend REALY likes the look of silver and light colored wood finishes)

I use to hate silver, but for some reason, it just grew on me, and now I prefer the look of a silver or champiagn finish to the "little black box" look that is the standard issue in US electronics.

-Jason

[This message has been edited by fmcorps (edited July 07, 2002).]

#37920 - 07/08/02 11:31 AM Re: Who would be interested in having their 950's faceplate brushed aluminum instead?
Dzung Pham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
I would definitely be interested but I think most people will want to see a sample before committing. I'm more interested in black than silver.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM